Long channel changing times with r22?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

devicenull

Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
CT
When I switched over to using a HDMI cable with my R22 receiver, I've been seeing very long channel change times (3-4 seconds). What seems to happen is my TV loses the signal for a tiny amount of time, then has to go and re-sync with the receiver. Is there any way of preventing this? It makes channel surfing extremely irritating.

When I switched over to using a HDMI cable with my R22 receiver, I've been seeing very long channel change times (3-4 seconds). What seems to happen is my TV loses the signal for a tiny amount of time, then has to go and re-sync with the receiver. Is there any way of preventing this? It makes channel surfing extremely irritating.

Try unplugging everything for a few minutes - let the cache's clear.

If you have your DirecTv STB menu setting in HDTV set for Native and multiple TV resolutions set (which you should for best native resolution), then you can expect channel changes to be 4 seconds. (Very true when resolution changes from channel to channel and I think it's normal for the screen to go blank during channel changing...interesting that you say it wasn't so annoying before; did your picture improve with HDMI? What were you using before HDMI?)

I agree this is annoying for channel surfing which is why I use the guide. You may try diffrerent settings without NATIVE ON or go back to what you had before.

If you have your DirecTv STB menu setting in HDTV set for Native and multiple TV resolutions set (which you should for best native resolution), then you can expect channel changes to be 4 seconds. (Very true when resolution changes from channel to channel and I think it's normal for the screen to go blank during channel changing...interesting that you say it wasn't so annoying before; did your picture improve with HDMI? What were you using before HDMI?)

I agree this is annoying for channel surfing which is why I use the guide. You may try diffrerent settings without NATIVE ON or go back to what you had before.

I can't actually change anything in the "HDTV Options". The only page that's available there is "TV Ratio". I'm unsure if this is because I don't actually pay the extra money for HDTV streams.

I was using composite cables before, because I didn't have component nor HDMI cables.

I didn't really notice a huge quality increase here, but then again I don't actually get HD streams

I can't actually change anything in the "HDTV Options". The only page that's available there is "TV Ratio". I'm unsure if this is because I don't actually pay the extra money for HDTV streams.

I was using composite cables before, because I didn't have component nor HDMI cables.

I didn't really notice a huge quality increase here, but then again I don't actually get HD streams

Interesting,

Are they grayed out? And can you see what they are set to?

Native is shown as Off in the Info page. I doubt changing the aspect ratio would do anything, but I could always give it a try. That's really the only thing I can change in the HDTV section.

To see what your settings are hold down on the Info button 5 seconds scroll down to view information.

The R22 is locked to be an SDDVR.

Native is shown as Off in the Info page. I doubt changing the aspect ratio would do anything, but I could always give it a try. That's really the only thing I can change in the HDTV section.

Sorry, I didn't realize that but it sounds like it's time for an upgrade. Appears you have an HDTV but a SD DVR. I understand that not everyone wants HD and the fees that go with it.

You were right about not seeing any difference with HDMI cable. It wouldn't hurt to go back to your other cable (I thought Component cable was included with R22; makes no difference anyway; your box is capable of displaying 480p but HD channels are locked out so I don't think there's anything to gain unless you can tell the difference.

At least you can get your channels switching faster with your old cable.

As far as upgrade lease and HD access, call DirecTv and see what they can offer. CSR's can extend some credits to offset initial upgrade lease fee for 12 months but it would depend on your account status, standing, and your individual circumstances.

I didn't see component cables, unless the installer decided to take them for some reason.. Anyway, upgrading boxes really isn't something that will happen, since in about a month I won't be here anymore.

Thanks for the help though

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)