Long DISH customer, changing to DIRECTV probably

kurtdh

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
I have two HDTV's. One in the living room, one in the bedroom. I like the capability of my dual tuner DVR so I can record a show in the living room and finish watching it in my bedroom. However, it's down converting all the HD to SD when I watch it in my bedroom. What a waste of a beautiful Samsung LED HDTV.

With DirecTV's "whole home" service, I can record an HD show in the living room and then watch it IN HD in my bedroom. This is exactly what I want. I will be spending an extra $16 a month with DirecTV, but I think the $16 is worth it for the ability to watch my HD programs in my bedroom that I recorded in either my living room or my bedroom.

#1. Dish Network does not have this same capability that DirecTV has, correct?

#2. Are there any plans for Dish Network to release this capability in the near future?

#3. Did I get anything wrong, and is there any reason I should stay with Dish and not swap to DirecTV? I've been with Dish for around 7 years, paid my bill on time every month, and really like the service- but wasting my HD capabilities is really bothering me. (and yes, I know I can get an HD receiver for the bedroom with Dish, but I don't think I have the capability to start and finish programs in both rooms, I'd have to set separate timers)

#4. Comcast has similar capabilities to DirecTV, but my understanding is with Comcast, you can't pause live tv and set and delete recordings when you're not at the primary DVR ....DirecTV has a huge advantage compared to Comcast in this regard.

Any input regarding this would be well appreciated. I'm sure customer retention will try their best to keep me at Dish, but unless Dish has plans to release this capability soon, I don't see a reason to stay..

1. correct
2. not that we're aware of
3. I'll leave that up to you as I already have D*. Best thing is to see what you currently have programming wise and check Directv is it is comparable. In some cases they have exactly what you want HD wise and some folks it isn't. There are chanenls that one provider has that the others dont. If you are a sports fan, in 99% of the cases your RSN will be in HD 24/7. The only two that arent right now are FSN Ohio & FSN Cincy. Even the part time RSN's are in HD. No wondering if your game is in HD. Movie channels in HD from what I read Dish has more. But a person who doesnt watch movies does it matter if a provider has 3 movie channels in HD or 25 if you dont sub to them its a moot point.
4. dont know...comcast in our area sucks (old time warner area)

If that is your main criteria then I see no other option. It is a shame that Dish hasn't incorporated this feature into the 722/722K/922. I'm not sure what kind of hardware cost factor was involved when they decided not to include this feature but that feature should have been the reason for bringing out the K series.

There is an new accessory coming soon which will make it possible to get HD from the #2 tuner at a remote location. It was introduced at the CES show.

There is an new accessory coming soon which will make it possible to get HD from the #2 tuner at a remote location. It was introduced at the CES show.

The multi-room extender was first announced at CES 2010...and it's still not out yet. It could be 2012 before we even see it. And when it is released, will it have the same capabilities as DirecTV's? And what will be the setup cost and monthly cost...

Go to whatever provider has the channels and features you want now. That Dish HD extender has been vapor for well over a year. The 922 was similar and bug filled upon release.

Don't base your purchase on what if. Make it based on who has what right now.

The things you lose with Directv MRV.

1. You can not pause live tv at the non DVR location.
2. Only one tv can access the DVR at a time.
3. You do not have full access to all DVR functions from secondary locations.

The things you lose with Directv MRV.

1. You can not pause live tv at the non DVR location.
2. Only one tv can access the DVR at a time.
3. You do not have full access to all DVR functions from secondary locations.

How sure are you of #1? I talked with DirecTV, and they swear the second room has the capability to pause live TV...

And regarding #3, which DVR functions are you talking about?

I used MRV a lot when I had DirecTV. You can watch DVR 1 in room 1 and 2 at the same time. You can use all transport controls in room 2 and schedule and delete recordings (if room 2 is a receiver). 1 applies if the second room is a receiver (H2x for example), not a DVR (HR2x). If room 2 is a DVR, then you can pause live. A workaround for using just a receiver is to start recording on the room 1 DVR then chase it. If room 2 is a receiver, you can schedule recordings in room 1. If room 2 is a DVR, you can't schedule recordings in room 1.

Seems like a lot of rules, but you don't really have to think about it. It works very well and will accomplish your goal.

I do miss MRV, but I'm willing to wait a few more months rather than lose 30-something HD channels I just gained by switching to Dish (BBCA, AMC, TCM, HLN, G4, E!, DIY, Cooking, Hist Intl, Nat Geo Wild, several HBOs, etc, etc). I also like having watchable SD and decent sounding music channels.

My workaround for no MRV for now is a 211k with an external hard drive in room 2 scheduled to record the same things I record in room 1 (within reason).

Best of luck whatever you decide.

(1) Of course if you are not trying to have 2 independent HD views, then you can send the TV1 component to the local TV and HDMI to the second or vice versa. Placed in single mode, you can control TV1 with the UHF TV2 controller. Only one box for this. Other possibilities exist.
(2) You can take the recordings on a hard drive to a second 722-class or 211 receiver. Clearly 2 matching boxes.
-Ken

Thats what I do. Component to the living room set and HDMI to the bedroom set. Sounds like the OP is using single mode anyway.

(2) You can take the recordings on a hard drive to a second 722-class or 211 receiver. Clearly 2 matching boxes.
-Ken

Not exactly. You can not move EHD from a 612/622/722/922 to a 211 or vice verse. You can move between all the other non-211 receivers.

How sure are you of #1? I talked with DirecTV, and they swear the second room has the capability to pause live TV...

And regarding #3, which DVR functions are you talking about?

Well, the receiver at the "non DVR location" is not a DVR so no, you can't pause live TV. You can start recording the show on the DVR and once it's on your "List of recorded shows" you can begin watching it on the "non DVR location". You can then pause the show if you want.

(1) Of course if you are not trying to have 2 independent HD views, then you can send the TV1 component to the local TV and HDMI to the second or vice versa. Placed in single mode, you can control TV1 with the UHF TV2 controller. Only one box for this. Other possibilities exist.
-Ken

This is the best bet since the receiver is being used in Single Mode anyway.

I used MRV a lot when I had DirecTV. You can watch DVR 1 in room 1 and 2 at the same time. You can use all transport controls in room 2 and schedule and delete recordings (if room 2 is a receiver). 1 applies if the second room is a receiver (H2x for example), not a DVR (HR2x). If room 2 is a DVR, then you can pause live. A workaround for using just a receiver is to start recording on the room 1 DVR then chase it. If room 2 is a receiver, you can schedule recordings in room 1. If room 2 is a DVR, you can't schedule recordings in room 1.

Seems like a lot of rules, but you don't really have to think about it. It works very well and will accomplish your goal.

I do miss MRV, but I'm willing to wait a few more months rather than lose 30-something HD channels I just gained by switching to Dish (BBCA, AMC, TCM, HLN, G4, E!, DIY, Cooking, Hist Intl, Nat Geo Wild, several HBOs, etc, etc). I also like having watchable SD and decent sounding music channels.

My workaround for no MRV for now is a 211k with an external hard drive in room 2 scheduled to record the same things I record in room 1 (within reason).

Best of luck whatever you decide.

What do you mean when you say "1 applies if the second room is a receiver (H2x for example), not a DVR (HR2x)" Also, what do you mean when you say you like having "watchable SD.."

-Ken

Confused by what you're telling me here. Are you saying I should run an HDMI cable from my receiver in the living room to the TV in my bedroom? I'd have to run it through walls, and it would be maybe 50-60 feet. If this was possible, what would this enable me to do? I'm not a very advanced DISH user, so speak to me like I'm a 6 year old :)

i made the same switch you are thinking about
i do not miss any of the national hd that dish has that directv doesn't.
the only ones i would like are amc,tcm, histintl) but im more then happy
dish keeps dropping channels anyway so they wont have them forever, but at least they have oprah now

look at the channels you watch, if you must have one in had then see if its available.

the only thing i would do differently is put a second hr24 in the other location.
it would double my recording capability.

kurtdh said:
With DirecTV's "whole home" service, I can record an HD show in the living room and then watch it IN HD in my bedroom. This is exactly what I want. I will be spending an extra $16 a month with DirecTV, but I think the $16 is worth it for the ability to watch my HD programs in my bedroom that I recorded in either my living room or my bedroom.

If it'll cost you $16 more per month, why not just lease another hd dvr from dish? The extra fees for doing that should be about the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)