Long, fascinating article about Dish on Bloomberg Businessweek

Very interesting article.

I have been in an interesting position over the years and have been able to see both sides of Charlie mentioned in this article directly.

He means well, he just does things his own way.

The article calls Dish, the "meanest" company in America. There are plenty of companies that treat their employees in questionable ways in our country. I think the difference between Dish and others is the way they treat their executives.

That would certainly catch the eye of a business reporter from Bloomberg.

One cannot argue that Dish has been successful under the Ergen leadership. Like a lot of entrepreneurs he built his company in his own way. At least the end of the article hinted that the company is changing, but will it mean more or less success for Dish? Many successful companies end up hurting when their founder steps away from the company, will Dish be one of them?

For many years Dish made money when DIRECTV kept losing it. One has to wonder if the tight controls at Dish kept it profitable and able to survive without a major corporation backing it. Essentially Charlie did not have a fall back position, he had to have Dish make money or he would lose it all.

I don't think Charlie is really "stepping away". I think Joey Clayton was a good choice for Dish and he def has tons of experience with big name companies. I think bringing Joey into the company gives Charlie the ability to spend more time focusing on his wireless endeavor as well as other new things. In my opinion I think things are going in the right direction for Dish.

I read the entire article - very interesting - but it left me with mixed feelings. On the one hand I was taken aback by the business practices - but on the other hand (at least as a customer) I have not been affected by any of the things decribed in the article.

Very Good Read.

One cannot argue that Dish has been successful under the Ergen leadership. Like a lot of entrepreneurs he built his company in his own way. At least the end of the article hinted that the company is changing, but will it mean more or less success for Dish? Many successful companies end up hurting when their founder steps away from the company, will Dish be one of them?

For many years Dish made money when DIRECTV kept losing it. One has to wonder if the tight controls at Dish kept it profitable and able to survive without a major corporation backing it. Essentially Charlie did not have a fall back position, he had to have Dish make money or he would lose it all.

APPLE survived Steve Jobs, and DISH will survive Charlie Ergen.

APPLE survived Steve Jobs, and DISH will survive Charlie Ergen.

It is too hard to tell what will happen with Apple now that Jobs is gone. In 10 years we will know if they were successful or if it was Jobs driving vision that kept them on track. The first time they got rid of jobs the company nearly went under.

It is too hard to tell what will happen with Apple now that Jobs is gone. In 10 years we will know if they were successful or if it was Jobs driving vision that kept them on track. The first time they got rid of jobs the company nearly went under.
OTOH, Jobs' company during that period, NEXT, didn't do so well, either.

The only reason they almost went under the first time, was their stubborn refusal to license Apple hardware and such to second parties, keeping the price of everything Apple inflated sky-high. Meanwhile, Bill Gates licensed all his stuff to anybody with a pulse, and .25 cents in their pockets. Gates took over his huge market share so quickly, they didn't stand a chance then.

What makes Dish the worst company to work for in america

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/4/38...work-the-worst-company-to-work-for-in-america

Dish Network was voted the worst company to work for in America in 2012 by 24/7 Wall St. based on reports from disgruntled employees venting their spleen on a site called Glass Door. However, Bloomberg Businessweek has taken a deeper look at the company's inner workings, and attempted to pinpoint the source of the stifling environment — like a fingerprint scanning system implemented to ensure employees clock in exactly on time — that has reportedly driven miserable workers out in droves. Speaking to a number of former and current employees, Bloomberg determined that Dish's founder and chairman, Charlie Ergen, is responsible for the high-pressure, strict work environment and the company's storied history of litigation — but also for much of the company's monetary success.

When I started working for a grocery chain in 1971 at age 16 , being tardy was not tolerated and taking sick days just for the hell of it were not either.. When I left the job in 2005 people were showing up late all the time, and calling in sick all the time with no, or very little consequences. Its not a bad thing to be responsible. I learned very good work ethics which have benifited me greatly in my current business.

You have to be ruthless to build what Ergen has and hold it. I laughed about the lawsuit involving Ergen's driveway. I'm proud to say I haven't let this job get the best of me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)