Longhorn Network to launch on DISH on May 28.

I wonder if this will be in HD full time. I thinking not....at least for now. It's up in the area where part-time HD RSN's are located (except BTN). Also, college sports end on Memorial Day which is just before 5/28 (except playoffs whose TV rights are generally held by the NCAA). Launching on 5/28 allows them to do SD all summer.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I wouldn't be surprised if it's HD 24/7, it's not a Fox RSN, I'm sure it was a point of emphasis in the Disney deal otherwise we wouldn't have gotten the channel at all.

I want my B1G included in 120+ for all to see and pay for so I can watch it here in Florida without having to pay extra for it. See how that goes? Damn Greedy Mouse wins again.

You're welcome...signed, the rest of the country subsidizing them for you.

I work for a small phone/cable company and our contract with Disney comes up this year. Talk around the office is Disney is going to package SEC/Longhorn for us as well (We are in a SEC state and it would be suicide if we didn't offer SEC Network)

I work for a small phone/cable company and our contract with Disney comes up this year. Talk around the office is Disney is going to package SEC/Longhorn for us as well (We are in a SEC state and it would be suicide if we didn't offer SEC Network)

The SEC part makes sense, given your location. Cramming UT sports down the throat of everybody else does not make sense, however.

I say give me as many sports channels as possible as long as my rate doesn't increase. Obviously that can't happen and rates will go up. Eventually I hope they put it in the multi-sports package.

And there isn't a whole lot of interest in it in Texas amongst non UT fans. The rest of the Big 12 conference schools don't want their games on it, and have demanded that their games not be televised on it.

I have made it just fine without it, and I suspect my fellow Non UT Big 12 fans would agree.

The business model that ESPN has been using is not sustainable. They pay outlandish prices to sports teams to get programming. They cannot pay for the programming with advertising. They use the fact that a large number of people would leave any provider that does not have ESPN to force providers to pay outlandish prices for the channels.
Exactly. It isn't as if the programming has to be as expensive as they pay for the rights to show it.
For the Longhorn network a great majority(I would guess more than 95%) are subsidizing the programming for a very small minority.
Smaller than most. It seems absurd that a pay channel for a single school would be a national requisite.

I bet I will watch more Longhorn Network than the majority of other channels this year and I have no affinity for Texas. I also doubt it costs that much when you consider that it was just shoved into a broader deal that involved getting the SEC Network off the ground and Disney dealing with Autohop. ESPN wants people to actually be able to see the LHN or it is worthless. Welcome to pay tv, this is how it works.

Yes, bend over...may I have another?

Remember, no one is being affected whatsoever until there is a price increase. I know there will be eventually but until then this is a non issue and everyone can just enjoy the extra channels.

Does anyone else get tired of the constant complaining about how some want more and more channels and others complain about how we have too many channels? Hopefully by the time Dish needs to raise rates they can find a way to restructure their packages. Somehow Dish needs to find a way to make a lower tier package with the majority of favorite channels with minimal to no sports channels.

Yes, I chuckle at the "give me more channels" folk. I want more and better content, not more channels with the same amount of banal content repeated over and over intermixed with infomercials. As the trend goes, looks like I will soon be throwing the baby out with the bathwater and cutting the cord, because the baby isn't growing any bigger and the bathwater is getting more murky.

Hopefully by the time Dish needs to raise rates they can find a way to restructure their packages. Somehow Dish needs to find a way to make a lower tier package with the majority of favorite channels with minimal to no sports channels.

The problem with that is that ESPN uses their power to keep it from happening. They know that something close to half would leave any provider that did not have ESPN. They schedule their contracts so that no large providers contracts end at the same time. They then INSIST that in order to carry ESPN to ANY customers, ESPN MUST be included in ALL of the packages. The only ones that do not include ESPN are the legally mandated small packages that do not include even a minority of favorite channels.

The big problem is that Disney owns ABC and ESPN. Even if cable and sat providers go away and customers purchase content directly from Disney, Disney will probably REQUIRE a subscription to the entire suite of channels in order to watch any.