Looking for Ideas

TimR21

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
A little over a week ago I had Dish swap out my 522 for a 722 and a 1000.2. Everything has been great since then....until this morning. I woke up and switched on the TV. I had the "Acquiring Signal" screen. It was cycling through all the Satellites and transponders to no avail. I also have a 508 in another room - it had the same message. So I rebooted the 722. No luck. I ran a check switch - which returned a message that said something like "At least one of the satellite inputs is not responding..." - a check of all my cables doesn't reveal any loose connections.

I called Dish Tech support - and they're sending someone "right over" - well, they're sending someone out on Sunday afternoon (4 days from now!).

Additionally, I can't seem to use the OTA tuner while the sats are out - effectively locking me out from any TV viewing until this is resolved.

In the meantime, anyone have any other ideas of things I could check or test to see if I'm just missing something obvious?

Thanks,
TimR><>

With 2 receivers not seeing a signal and a new dish installation I would make my first guess the dish wasn't properly tightened down and has moved. Plan on watching DVDs until your local cable company can get there.

Reset the receiver to see if it helps out any. You may want to check your signal strengths and see if they are noticably out of whack. Doesnt make sense that the OTA wouldnt work though. Try reseting the receiver first.

>>>>With 2 receivers not seeing a signal and a new dish installation I would make my first guess the dish wasn't properly tightened down and has moved<<<

Boba, I would think that too - but I've got another Dish pointed at 61.5 - this Dish has been part of my install all along (not new last week). I can't pick up anything on that either. I'm wondering if the internal switch on the 1000.2 has gone bad?

TimR><>

Well, I had the most competent installer/tech I've ever had in over 10 years with Dish come out to the house today. He went to my termination board in my garage and hooked up his signal meter to my main dish lines. He said there was signal there, but it was intermittent. He surmised that because the satellite lines were installed directly on (and perpendicular to) all the electrical lines going into my main breaker box that we were getting EMF problems. Additionally he detected a problem with the original grounding of the dishes. So, he moved the satellite lines off the power lines and re-grounded the system. Everything seems to be working perfectly now.

I was delighted to have a good chat with him regarding his tech and install work. He was very knowledgeable, articulate and polite. Apparently, he's an engineer who now runs his own sub company. He also seemed happy to talk about stuff with me - since I seemed to know what I was talking about as well.

My only complaint is that it took 4+ days to get someone out to fix this - and I ended up missing my NASCAR race last night because of it. Oh well....now I can catch the replay on HDNET.

Later,
TimR><>