This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Looking for some info

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tomwxyz

Original poster
May 16, 2006
Pagosa Springs, CO
I am totally new to FTA, until recently I didn't know it existed. I have a few questions to start, I'm sure there will be many more later.

1. I have located a C-band dish locally ( the owner says it is C-band). I'm not sure of the diameter, I think it is around 8'. Does it matter what the depth of the dish is? He also has a receiver, made by Uniden with the term Videocypher on the unit. Is this sometime that will work with FTA or will I need to purchase new receiver?

2. The next question concerns the difference between C-band and Ku-band. I've been looking at the charts and it's a bit confusing. I know that Ku-band dishes aren't big enough to receive C-band. Many of the FTA channels that interest me don't seem to be available for Ku-band. Can C-band dishes receive Ku-band as well, or are the two band types totally separated?

Thanks for your help. I haven't purchased any equipment yet. I am still waiting to find out if the BUD is allowed in the covenant where my house is located. We have no local TV reception at all, I have been subscribed to Dish for over a year but would like some sort of alternative without the monthly cost. I only watch a handful of the channels offered anyway and think that FTA may have enough to make it a good alternative.

Thanks again.

WELCOME to the Satelliteguys.US FTA forum!

1. Depth does not matter the F/D dimentions are built in. Its all about diameter, and 8' is PERFECT!

2.Yes C-Band dish can receiver KU signals, you will need one C and one KU LNB or some combination.

Welcome

1. If the dish is 8 feet across, it’s a C-Band dish. The Uniden receiver he has will get analog signals There are some up there but to get most FTA you need a digital receicer (Pansat, Fortec, Coolsat, etc)

2. KU Band uses dishes 30” or greater. C-Band is 6 foot minimum. Can you get KU on that C-band dish? It all depends on the LNB’s on it. Most C-Band dishes have both C & KU LNB’s on it. Ask him if he can get KU.

You can get both C & KU band with one dish or 2 separate dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.