looking for web hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

caesar gdi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
I am looking to put a web site so I need to register a domain and about 20mb storage. Do you guys know of any good web hosting companies? I know go daddy is one but I want to compare them with others

thanks

you really got to look at the features you want. for example if you want to have email with imap, go daddy does not have it. 1and1 has imap, but the web designer is not as good as go daddy's. see what you need then look at who offers it.

Go daddy's customer service sucks big time and they have no 800 number!!!You have to pay to make your domain info private. For under 100 bucks I get a 100% free domain name. free e cart, 27-7 800 number support. Free site builder, support for front page, 10 Gigabyte Hosting Space, Host 6 Domains on 1 Account!!!, 2,500 POP/Imap Email Accounts, 250 GIGS of Transfer,SSH (Secure Shell), SSL, FTP, Stats ,CGI, Ruby (RoR), Perl, PHP, MySQL.Here is a list of the awards they won in 2005 http://www.bluehost.com/awards.html I have never had anyone say my server was down. With the back side FTP we trade a TON of info all over the world and never hit the 250 GIGS a month!!They kick godaddy's ass. Go daddy could not even figure out how to relese on of my domain names. The bluehost guy had me tell him how and go daddy still could not do it. Now I have to wait 12 days to transfer one of my .com's! Plus if you cut and paste your user account number to log into go daddy they lock your account and you have to call and give them the CC number to unlock it!!!!!Blue host saves the info for you.I rate blue host a 9 and go daddy a ZERO

I have several web domains with Host Rocket. They are the best for reliability and not bad on price but their base service is a bit big for your needs. I host up TV shows and Video on demand service as a reseller of webcasts. Therefore I need huge base bandwidth and storage capacity. HR does this for me. The negatives with them is that they bill you for everything a la carte. If you can't be your own tech support you will get a bill for their assistance. I have to contact them about 3 times a year for trouble tickets and they are quick to resolve an issue free if it is their problem, most of the time, is within an hour and back up. However, recently one of the servers was taking uploads very slow, like 2300 baud slow. That makes uploading a 100 Mb file impossible! I complained and it took them a week to resolve the problem. Unfortunately it was a defective cross router in another city on the main internet backbone that was in my path to Host Rocket. I guess it was a cisco issue? But it was resolved.

Eric- Go daddy's prices are much cheaper than what I pay but my margins can afford what I pay. What would kill me is having a service go down and having a number of my clients request refunds for non-performance in a video on demand sale. If that happened during a typical afternoon on a business day it could cost me $250-500 for the month. I can't recall what Scott is using but his service is demonstratably reliable too. I have heard bad things about Go Daddy among the people who really know this stuff. They tell me don't use them for mission critical web sites.

If you don't mind a little advertising...

You can't really go wrong with this place:

Few places I know of other than this place that have free unlimited space!!! I just started a web blog there not long ago...

http://www.free.hostultra.com/~articles/

I use thingamablog to do the blogging. It's got to be one of the best blogging softwares out there - way better than the cruddy interface on blogspot.com

Last edited:
Am thinking of moving me and my clients to bluehost. So far I have emailed tons of questions to them and they have responded quickly and answered each one. Right now I am in domain hell, as my current host has screwed up email addresses and registration stuff the past few years. I have contacted Tucows to see if they will help me, but I bet it is all going to be a nightmare. I am anxious to get going with bluehost, plus I will be saving a ton of money!!

You should always go to webhostingtalk.com and search for the company you're interested in. Weigh the "i love them" posts to the "They suck..." posts before giving ANY of these companies your money. You get what you pay for, and every company eventually becomes a problem.

I use CI Host myself, they offer a lot of features including Miva Merchant (great for online stores), webstats, and to much more to list, plus awesome uptime. In 4 years of using their hosting I have never had my site go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)