looking into a job with a dish network subcontractor in dayton ohio

benniekong

Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
dayton ohio
This website is awesome! I cringe at the thought of being the guy who starts a new thread only to find out that the info he sought was already addressed in some other thread. That being said "here I go!"

I am in negotiations for a dish installer job for dish subcontractor in dayton ohio. I wanted to know if anyone could give me a ball park estimate on a newbies weekly salary.

I know that the hourly pay is $8.00 per but I haven't really had a chance to talk to any of the other grunts at the shop. I'm being told that guys make anywhere from $500 to $700 a week but I find that hard to believe for someone just getting their foot in the door.

Another bummer is the four weeks of training with no income till completion.

Any input from you experienced folks would be greatly appreciated.

Wow that sucks. So there's no internal techs near Dayton? It would certainly pay better to not be a sub then.

Bennie, I know things are tough in this economy and people all over are doing things they wouldn't have done not long ago, but I do have one comment to make.

The red flag for me was not being paid during the first month of training. A company should be more than willing to invest in their new employees. If they're not paying you for a month then it may be they've had lots of turnover early (red flag..why???), and/or they have cash flow problems and are looking for free help, or they're just plain greedy. In today's economy where so many people are looking for work, some companies can exploit the situation by hiring low pay/no pay people and let them go after the "training" period is up, then just replace them with another new trainee.

But, you're asking the right questions and only you can make an appropriate assessment. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I am in negotiations for a dish installer job for dish subcontractor in dayton ohio.
Is that (still) Digital Dish ?

I know that the hourly pay is $8.00 per but I haven't really had a chance to talk to any of the other grunts at the shop. I'm being told that guys make anywhere from $500 to $700 a week but I find that hard to believe for someone just getting their foot in the door.
I think the answer to that is "lots of overtime". A person I know had their DVR go out and Dish offered an appointment to replace it on Thanksgiving Day. Think the tech got paid any sort of "holiday pay" or was it just straight pay. I'd venture to say it was straight pay...

At first, I'd think the "four weeks of training with no income till completion" was almost illegal but easy way around that is for them to claim you're paid "monthly". Not sure on the "completion" part of it though and them not paying if you were there for 3 weeks out of the 4, of course, they can claim it as something like taking a class. I mean, you don't get paid for sitting in classes at college, for instance.

I would think that no pay for the first month would violate state labor law. Unless you really would like to work for free.

This website is awesome! I cringe at the thought of being the guy who starts a new thread only to find out that the info he sought was already addressed in some other thread. That being said "here I go!"

I am in negotiations for a dish installer job for dish subcontractor in dayton ohio. I wanted to know if anyone could give me a ball park estimate on a newbies weekly salary.

Another bummer is the four weeks of training with no income till completion.

Any input from you experienced folks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes it is still digital dish.

After looking a the replies I've received, I realized that my statement was a bit misleading concerning the four week period. The trainee will get paid the hourly rate of $8.00 for the duration of training however the pay is bi-weekly so it is essentially four weeks until you see any of that $8.00 per hour wage.

Because of the uncertainties, I proposed my keeping the current job I have for the duration of the training; the guy I was talking to gave me the impression that wouldn't work for them.

After reading Jgurley's post, paticularly " In today's economy where so many people are looking for work, some companies can exploit the situation by hiring low pay/no pay people and let them go after the "training" period is up, then just replace them with another new trainee",I thought I'd better play it safe.

Although the job I have is not quiet the ideal situation for a family guy, "2nd shift and part-time" it is secure and I know what the check is going to look like every week.

I think I would have enjoyed the work; I'm a hands-on guy who loves fixing things and the challenge that can bring.

Thanks for the feedback once again; it was very helpful.

benniekong said:
The trainee will get paid the hourly rate of $8.00 for the duration of training however the pay is bi-weekly so it is essentially four weeks until you see any of that $8.00 per hour wage.

But if you pther job pays the same then ypur last 2 weeks there your check would then come halfnway thru thr 4 weeks, right? Or am im wrong.

That sounds about right the way they are goimg to pay you. Linkus was going to do the same when i had planned on moving to Reno. I chose a different route. After the 4 week period then they woukd pay you piece work if im not mistaken.

You may want to look into working for a local retailer. They pay by the job but, in most cases, the daily pay is higher if the jobs are there.
Just my $.02

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)