Looking to switch from E* to D*, any comparable receiver to E*'s 922 (minus Sling)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DVDDAD

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Huntington, Long Island, NY
I've lived without the YES network, the loss of MSG, no full time HD RSN's or should I say the one of the three RSN's in my area wasn't even full time HD. I've got a 922 receiver and can't sling to my BlackBerry, because Dish hasn't put out a working SlingPlayer app for my BlackBerry Torch. But, now with Dish taking SNY down, it's now having me look at, and compare my options. Sunday Ticket and ESPN 3D were also nice options that I would like to have, so I'm looking at DirecTV.

However, I've been very happy with my Dish receivers and in comparing my options I want to understand the equipment that any new provider has to offer. The multi-room viewing options or Whole-Home DVR service does seem to be a big plus over my DishNetwork receivers. I do prefer the way DishNetwork uses External Hard Drives and really love everything about the 922 receiver and was wondering how any of you that has had or has both satellite providers feel about DirecTV's receivers.

Does having Whole-Home DVR service require any additional wiring from what I have with Dish now? Does their HD DVR's offer PIP or swapping of tuners?

I see that they offer the AM21 Off-Air Tuner, which they say is designed to work seamlessly with the DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR, and that this specialized tuner:
  • Allows you to view your local off-air HD channels if you can't get them from DIRECTV.
  • Integrates your local channels into your on-screen Program Guide so that they appear in your channel list just like all of your other DIRECTV channels.
Does using the AM21 give you the ability to also record from your local off air antenna? Can you get the AM21 even if you do receive your locals from DirecTV? What does the AM21 cost?

Which HD DVR does DirecTV offer that has Channel Logos and the ability to activate the 30 second skip? Does any of their HD DVR's have a GUI similar to Dish's 922?

Which HD DVR would you suggest? I'm sorry for the questions, but as I said I'd like to learn more about DirecTV's receivers before I make the switch. Thank you.​

I'm sorry, I thought I posted it but couldn't find where it was. I even did a search with my user name and didn't see it. I usually use Word for a lengthy post in case something happens and I lose the post, so I had a copy and reposted it. Been around long enough to know that if I post the same thing twice someone will catch it and flame me for it. If a mod wants to delete the other thread, please do so; I don't have a problem with that.

I do have a question about your signature. Being new to D*, I know the HR23 & HR24 are the model numbers of the receivers but what's the significance of the last three numbers? What makes a HR24-500 different from a HR24-100?

Also,

An HR20 has a built in OTA tuner and does not need an AM21. Even with 4 tuners built in, it too can only utilize 2 tuners at one time

Thanks guys for helping this D* newbie. Some unanswered questions remain:

Does having Whole-Home DVR service require any additional wiring from what I have with Dish now?

Do their HD DVR's offer PIP or swapping of tuners?

Which HD DVR does DirecTV offer that has Channel Logos and the ability to activate the 30 second skip? I assume HR24 but want to be sure.

Thank you.

Does having Whole-Home DVR service require any additional wiring from what I have with Dish now? Depends on where your switch and dish is located. A single cable is needed from switch or dish to receiver.

Do their HD DVR's offer PIP or swapping of tuners? No PIP.

Which HD DVR does DirecTV offer that has Channel Logos and the ability to activate the 30 second skip? I assume HR24 but want to be sure.
Not sure about this one as I've never paid attention to this, sorry. There's a icon for the shows/movies when you press "info" but for the channel logo, I'm not sure.

One thing I like about the Directv receivers is the Apps. I have the weather app and my baseball team scores in the apps. All I need to do is press the right arrow and the apps load on the screen. Another feature I like is Directv2pc, you can watch any recorded show on your computer. More info here:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/technology/directv2pc

A HR20 is REALLY... REALLY slow though, go for the HR24.

I have both systems.I enjoy them both!

I like both direc and dish for different reasons.
I need both services to get what I want.

You come to direc if your a sports enthusiast.
Dish: movies all the way.

To be honest if your coming from a vip 922 to Direc
they dont compare.

The HR 24 is direcs latest dvr. To me its their best unit yet.
It responds faster than past units.

Plus the unit has some neat features. I personally love MRV and quick tune (favorites)
I also use the app feature.

I also have the 922. Simply put the best dvr on the market.
Its a smooth experience.
While I enjoy the HR 24 its ''still'' not in the same league and a 922.

While some direc folks will take issue its not a knock on direc dvrs.
The HR 24 is excellent.

I have used several differnt dvrs from different providers.
Dish VIP722/922 are the cream of the crop.

I've used my friend's latest and greatest cable & Fios boxes and years ago used a friend's D* box and always thought that Dish receivers were superior. It seems that the D* boxes have come a long way and do have some advantages over E* boxes with Whole-home DVR and Directv2pc. I do love movies and would miss my 922, and 722 some of the HD channels and Epix, but if I can't watch the Met's, then I've got to make the switch. I really can't afford to keep both providers and if I do get D*, I'll suppliment their movie offerings with more Vudu or Blu-ray rentals.

Do you have a PS3? I think MLB is available thru the playstation network...
I have both services, football is my sport but I kept Directv for the Distants, now for the 3D, but I too like the Premium selection much better from Dish...
I have Directv on right now in the bedroom and have been around the dial twice looking for stuff to watch tonight... (did watch SGU earlier)

I can watch mlb.tv through my TV's apps. You can't fast forward or rewind, just pause & play. The (home team's blacked out) games aren't on until 90 minutes after the game has ended. They have commercial breaks for 3-5 minutes or so, where it's a slide show of Volvo's. You also don't get the post game press conference. I'll catch a few games this way and one game a week on my local network and an occaisional nationally broadcast game on Fox or ESPN, until the dispute is settled (not holding my breath) or until I switch to DirecTV next month.

Ok y'all just hold on the new hr34 will b out in oct. with a new ui faster than the vip922 which I have and is great but the new hr34 has 5 tuners 1 tb hard drive and wireless card built in!!

Do you have a PS3? I think MLB is available thru the playstation network...
I have both services, football is my sport but I kept Directv for the Distants, now for the 3D, but I too like the Premium selection much better from Dish...
I have Directv on right now in the bedroom and have been around the dial twice looking for stuff to watch tonight... (did watch SGU earlier)
Yep

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts