Loophole? (DISHOnline bandwith question)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kaman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I saw an earlier post about DISHOnline affecting maximum limits that may be imposed by an ISP. This got my attention, so I checked with my cable ISP, both by talking to CSR as well as reading the Terms of Use, User Agreement, and Acceptable Use Policy. Both the CSR and my research indicated that I have no maximum upload/download/throughput limits, which is good obviously.

However, I found this little ditty buried in the EAP.

Prohibited uses include using the service to: (viii) restrict, inhibit, interfere with or otherwise disrupt or cause a performance degradation or manipulation, regardless of intent, purpose or knowledge, to the Service or any Insight (or Insight supplier) host, server, backbone network, node or service, or otherwise cause a performance degradation or manipulation to any Insight (or Insight supplier) facilities used to deliver the Service;

Now I am assuming this is standard boilerplate language in everyone's ISP agreement. The question is:

Does anyone have a sense of if this provision is often used by ISPs to prohibit VOD or other things DISHOnline is expected to offer? I know they probably wouldn't come back to me and say I am downloading too much info. But I can see them telling me that my DISHOnline downloads are slowing the system down.

I don't know if the intent of this provision was written primarily for nailing people for doing Denial of Service attacks or not. But I don't know how one could rebut that they are not the cause of ISP performance degredation. I guess, theoretically, anything I do (such as posting this message) uses up ISP resources. And on some rediculously minute level, degrades the service. In a sense, everyone is in violation of this provision everytime they use Internet. One is just simply at the mercy of the ISP if they plop this language on you.

Any thoughts? or Am I just being paraniod and over analyzing this too much?

When I had Insight we had 4 computers hooked up with one of them (unknown to me at the time) was doing major downloads of music 24 hours a day. Never heard a word from Insight.

I wouldnt worry about it, especially when the senate is getting ready to push out Net Neutrality laws which would prevent them from blocking your access to a service like DishONLINE.

I have cable has limits because people abuse the unrestricted download.. DSL shouldn't have much to worry about.. :)

How can abuse something that is unrestricted? If it had set limits, they should note those.

Its kind of like going to an all-you-can-eat buffet and being told 1 plate is "all you can eat"! :)

Brad

I wouldnt worry about it, especially when the senate is getting ready to push out Net Neutrality laws which would prevent them from blocking your access to a service like DishONLINE.

You sound confident that Net Neutrality will pass. I thought there was some opposition, in fact moves in the opposite direction "to ensure the 'right' people pay for the net." Or did that die when Congress changed hands?

I think every ISP has the same wording in their terms of service. Until we know what Dish will be pushing to us via DishOnline, no one can speculate further.

How can abuse something that is unrestricted? If it had set limits, they should note those.
I've never seen the term "unrestricted" used, but instead "unlimited". That said, you define "unlimited" and then ask your ISP to define "unlimited". Make sure it's in context related to their terms of service. I assure you, your definition and theirs will differ. Yours will favor *you* and theirs will favor *them*.

Guess who will win if there's a dispute on the matter ??

Hint: You're using *their* service by their choosing.

Most of them will not define unlimited, even though they do have numbers internally. They won't tell you where the line is. They only tell you if you stepped over it.

Any such limit should be published, but it isn't for anyone that I know of. :(

Brad

My ISP (Cableone) used to cap me but they seem to have relaxed that rule and I now get full upload and download speeds 24/7.

Generally the way capping works is that they will establish some sort of threshold that you must stay under in a given time frame (for me it was three hours) and if you exceed that threshold (via either uploading or downloading) then they will 'cap' you for the next time period (for me I got capped to about 30% of max for the next two hours).

This is a pretty common practice but it is mostly used, it seems, to thwart those of us that use P2P applications 24/7.

I was reading an article the other day where the ISP told someone he had exceeded the download threshold, though they would not say what it was. They also threatened that he would lose service for a year if he exceeded it again. They wouldn't even come clean on what it was. :(

Brad

You know what would happen if someone was told the limit ?? First, they'd announce it at DSL Reports for every customer of that ISP to know. Second, they'd install a bandwidth monitor and they'd go full-bore right up to that limit..... Problem for them is it would suck if they reached it in the 1st week of a month ! :D They'd have (3) more weeks to go.

It's the ISP's network and their rules. I'm a customer just like everyone else, but I respect their property and their rules. Given the choice between following their rules and no service, me, I'll follow their rules....

I think it will be hard for a ISP to cap as far as data input and output. All the online gaming, downloading VOD movies and internet tv.

If ever got a notice on limited usage. I would cancel my service, because it will be on my mind every month, how far I am from the limit. I hate to be monitored and I hate to monitor myself, if I am paying good money.

My ISP actually published the cap limits but, strangely enough, now that the limits are published they do not cap any longer.

It's not that hard to figure them out though, set up a P2P program that gives you a graphic representation of your online activity and run it for a few days. Pull up the graph and it should be rather obvious what your limits are, or at least what you are going to get throttled to when you are throttled. Usually they have a certain amount of data upload/download within a certain period that triggers the capping.

I know that when I was researching this a couple of years ago I found that some ISP's were keeping people capped permanently until they called. Is this still going on?

The company I mentioned wasn't throttling. They were just threatening the user.

It's like saying, "Don't step across the line," but then not telling the person where the line is. :)

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)