Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring: Beginning Dec. 10th on TNT HD 8pm ET

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Hoopnoop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
I know its still a week away but I just wanted to alert everyone that the an HD version of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring will be airing Friday December 10th at 8pm. There are a number of other airings of the movie including that Saturday and Sunday night as well!

Also saw the WB showing a few weeks ago. Man, it's amazing the difference in the 720p/1080i broadcast versus the 480p DVD resolution.

BTW, the WB version that was shown was the theatrical release. I thought it might have been the extended version too, but there were scenes from the extended version that was not in the broadcasted movie (i.e. extended scene when the Fellowship is leaving Lothlorian (sp?)).

John

The WB version was a HORRID crop job in which they actually cut content out of the theatrical release. I can only pray TNT does a better job (though I admit, I have .ts stream captures of the theatrical release 1080i version).

Forgot about the commercials. Guess that is definitely the advantage of watching it on Starz. Also, its the advantage of having an HD PVR at some point.

I have the extended version on DVD and can do a compare and contrast on picture and sound quality. I generally prefer the DVD (even though its not HD) because I have a good upconverting DVD player and because I find the sound quality to be better. I've certainly watched the DVD enough that I have a good feel for how each of the scenes would look on DVD. It will be interesting to compare.

8pm ET

tntlordoftherings.jpg

I'll check bits of it out since I didn't have it in HD on WB. But i'll probably get bored with all the commercials

It's on excellent sound.

Same 16x9 transfer that's been used by everyone

Not that sharp, I think I'd prefer my DVD

Great sound....5.1 goodness....wish it was OAR but picture is very sharp on my set. Really good job by TNT. Only if it was OAR it would be perfect.

MY...this is what HD was created for. Not only a great transfer but the sound is just over the top. My back speakers are getting a workout this weekend. No OAR but everything else was done as good as it could have. After watching ROTK on StarzHD , I think this transfer on TNT is better. Really a great job...

It looked good, but would have looked even better if they didn't blow it up to 16:9.

Why can't these HD stations use the OAR?

Kudos to TNT for the way they handled commercial breaks. I recorded this on my Panny DVR and went through and edited out the commercials and they held steady all the way through without getting greedy.

First break was at 23 minutes and then every commercial ran from ~ 4:30-5:00 minutes in length with a movie run of ~ 11-12 minutes. Then at the 2 hour mark, another 21 minute run. I would like to see more networks handle movies like this, instead of sucking you in with a 20 minute opener and then having 7 minutes of show and 4-6 minutes of commercial (does ABC come to mind?).

Just wanted to add a couple of additional comments:

1. This was not the extended version of the movie.
2. I don't agree on the sound comments. I generally do not find the sound OTA to be as good as DVD. This was no exception. The surround sound effects just aren't as strong.
3. I did like the picture quality although its not that much better compared with my upconverted DVD.

Overall, because I have the extended version and because of superior sound, I have to say that I still prefer watching this on DVD. But I do appreciate TNT's effort to give us an HD version of this great movie.

Hoopnoop said:
2. I don't agree on the sound comments. I generally do not find the sound OTA to be as good as DVD. This was no exception. The surround sound effects just aren't as strong.

Wow...the sound on my system was better than any movie I have ever watched on a cable Tv ch. Its not DTS but man my back speakers were rocking with sound. I would like to thank TNT for such a good effort. Keep it up!!!

Hoopnoop said:
Just wanted to add a couple of additional comments:

1. This was not the extended version of the movie.

Overall, because I have the extended version and because of superior sound, I have to say that I still prefer watching this on DVD. But I do appreciate TNT's effort to give us an HD version of this great movie.

I TOTALLY agree. It was unfortunate to have the PG basically tell viewers they were watching the extended edition... which is patently FALSE. I don't know if the PG is at fault or if it is TNTHD that is to blame, but I hope they change this. I have YET to see the extended edition on TV at all, it is only available on DVD as far as I know. In fact, I'm getting ROTK extended edition today on its first day of release.

I'm glad TNT is showing it, but I wish they would have showed the true extended version.

Perturbed,

Vinny, I'm not sure why we experienced a difference in sound. I have mine set up for surround sound but having watched this movie a number of times on DVD, the surround effects were just not as good on my system through the OTA broadcast. For example, there is a scene early in the movie involving fireworks at the party of Hobbits before the birthday party. While my back speakers were certainly active, the surround effects weren't nearly as strong. I should add that I generally experience this with most OTA HD broadcasts. I'm told it is because the broadcasters limit the bit rate for the HD sound part of their broadcasts.

Dave, I shall also be buying the extended version of the final movie ASAP. I can't imagine it though since the original movie is already 3 1/2 hours!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts