Losing satellite signal at night

Widescreen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Allen, TX (Dallas area)
Having a weird problem for the last 3-4 weeks. For some reason, many of my channels drop out at night - I get the message that the satellite signal has been lost. It seems to be on all 3 sats (110/119/129). I've got a Dish500 pointed at 110/119 and another pointed at 129. The next morning it's back to normal and stays fine all day. Note that maybe 50% of the channels are affected - I haven't actually counted them or done any in-depth research. Any idea what could be causing this? I'm wondering if the heat of the day is causing something to expand and make connection and then when it cools off at night, the connect is getting flaky.

If I had a customer have this issue the first thing I'd do is replace the dp+ twin that is on the D500.

I did have one customer several years ago who had this issue....I replaced everything but at 5pm every day the signal would act up. Turned out it was the husband's radar detector...he parked right beside the dish when he came home at...you guessed it, 5pm.

Thanks. I've ordered a new DPP+ Twin. I'll post back after I swap it out. That explanation makes sense given that it's really the only electronic component outside and the temperatures aren't really changing much in the house.

If it turns out not to be the LNB, check some specific areas of your coax run. I ran into something similar a few years ago - turned out that the coax was fairly snug where it turned a corner. When the sun was on it (expansion) no problem. Once it cooled off a bit (contraction) the copper core no longer made good contact contact. The break in the coax core was very tiny.

Replaced that section of coax - never had another problem with it.

Good luck - finding gremlins can be real tough.

If it turns out not to be the LNB, check some specific areas of your coax run. I ran into something similar a few years ago - turned out that the coax was fairly snug where it turned a corner. When the sun was on it (expansion) no problem. Once it cooled off a bit (contraction) the copper core no longer made good contact contact. The break in the coax core was very tiny.

Replaced that section of coax - never had another problem with it.

Good luck - finding gremlins can be real tough.

Good point! So we better add checking for short needles, too. The longer the run, the more shrinking of the needle due to temperature.

Copper contracts in cooler weather. A micro-fracture in the cabling could be making contact during the day when the weather is hot but breaking contact when it shrinks at night.

Having a weird problem for the last 3-4 weeks. For some reason, many of my channels drop out at night - I get the message that the satellite signal has been lost. It seems to be on all 3 sats (110/119/129). I've got a Dish500 pointed at 110/119 and another pointed at 129. The next morning it's back to normal and stays fine all day. Note that maybe 50% of the channels are affected - I haven't actually counted them or done any in-depth research. Any idea what could be causing this? I'm wondering if the heat of the day is causing something to expand and make connection and then when it cools off at night, the connect is getting flaky.

Will the pix come back if you press guide or menu??? If so, do you use OTA? If so, press pip & make sure it's not set for an OTA channel, if it is, press swap & change to a sat channel... big problem when the pip is set for either a weak OTA, or one that's made weak by ducting...

Switch?

You state all 3 sats have the problem. Are you going thru a DP34 or DPP 44? If you are it is possible that the problem is the switch is losing connection to the LNB's. Could be just the output connector is not making good connection when the temp goes down.

Nope. No switches at all (other than the ones build into the LNB). The Dish 500 at 129 connects to the input on the DPP Twin. Then the output on the twin goes inside to my 622 receiver.

Yes a switch

Nope. No switches at all (other than the ones build into the LNB). The Dish 500 at 129 connects to the input on the DPP Twin. Then the output on the twin goes inside to my 622 receiver.

It's built into the 500 DPP plus dual sat feed. So it does look like you will need to replace it.

Saturday morning I got up on the roof and replaced the LNB. Problem solved! The last 2 nights I have dropped 0 channels. Not bad for $20 plus 10 minutes effort. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Replacing the DP Twin+ would be your best bet. After that I would check to see what changes in the environment at night. It could be something your overloooking. I have a customer lose signal when it got dark for months. She would lose service from about 6-9pm. We eventually figured out it was radar interference from the officer that lived next door. Go figure.

why

Replacing the DP Twin+ would be your best bet. After that I would check to see what changes in the environment at night. It could be something your overloooking. I have a customer lose signal when it got dark for months. She would lose service from about 6-9pm. We eventually figured out it was radar interference from the officer that lived next door. Go figure.

So did you get him to start turning off the radar when he was home? Or did you have to shield the dish from his radar unit?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)