Lost a bunch of HD channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Templeton0543

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Central California
Yesterday (Jan 4) the weather was not good, very misty and low clouds with intermittent rain all day. When I went to some channels it would default back to SD and I thought Ok, weather related, this too will pass.
Today high clouds, partially clouded, a nice day. But would still default to SD on some channels. Soon it wouldnot say it was defaulting to SD, it just would be SD. In the guide under My Channels it would show all, under My HD Channels a bunch would be missing.
HWS running S542.
Did a check on signal strength Sats 110 and 119, said it was fine. No lock on 129. Did a switch test, it showed it would test 110, 119, and 129. Results were that I had fewer sats than previous test, and that I should cancel, rather than save, if I did not want to finalize those settings, so I cancelled.
Bottom line, I have no Sat 129 where I think the HD channels I am missing reside.
Repoint needed? It was windy two days ago, but not really windy.

Yesterday (Jan 4) the weather was not good, very misty and low clouds with intermittent rain all day. When I went to some channels it would default back to SD and I thought Ok, weather related, this too will pass.
Today high clouds, partially clouded, a nice day. But would still default to SD on some channels. Soon it wouldnot say it was defaulting to SD, it just would be SD. In the guide under My Channels it would show all, under My HD Channels a bunch would be missing.
HWS running S542.
Did a check on signal strength Sats 110 and 119, said it was fine. No lock on 129. Did a switch test, it showed it would test 110, 119, and 129. Results were that I had fewer sats than previous test, and that I should cancel, rather than save, if I did not want to finalize those settings, so I cancelled.
Bottom line, I have no Sat 129 where I think the HD channels I am missing reside.
Repoint needed? It was windy two days ago, but not really windy.
It certainly sounds like a repoint or LNB issue...

This issue can be caused by poor weather, damaged cable, misaligned dish, malfunctioning equipment, or major changes in the home such as new roof, new carpeting, etc. It does seem as though we need to send a technician to verify your line of sight. Please send me a PM with your phone number and 4 digit PIN.

Reactions: Tampa8
This issue can be caused by poor weather, damaged cable, misaligned dish, malfunctioning equipment, or major changes in the home such as new roof, new carpeting, etc. It does seem as though we need to send a technician to verify your line of sight. Please send me a PM with your phone number and 4 digit PIN.
Curious...how would new carpeting affect signal??

I had the same problem with 129. Bad weather had me blowing snow, but I forgot to clear my 129 single dish of snow, it warmed up enough to melt snow on dish, but then it froze leaving full cover of ice. I melted it off with hot water, all is well now.
Dan

Well, I have an appointment to have a tech check things out. Nothing has changed since summer 2015 equipment wise so I will just have to wait and see
As DIRT stated it could be any number of things. However, the very first install I had was not properly peaked, so I had "livable" intermittent loss of 110 in those days, and I would lose it when it was barely cloudy. Had a repoint and only lost sats due to the most severe weather since. The thing is that even starting from the best possible peaking, even just the slightest movement is going to casue you problems losing sats. Certainly hope all goes well with your tech visit. Please let us know what it was troubling your system.

The tech was just here. GREAT timing too, as last night was very stormy, lots of wind and rain, and had a lot of Partial, and occasional Total, Signal Loss notifications.
Bottom line, it was a repoint issue. The guy that moved the dish during the remodel put the dish on the fascia board near a joint in the board and the cumulative effect of the wind on the dish for 1.5 years moved it enough to cause problems. It's fixed for now, permanent fix will come later.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)