Lost In Translation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unthinkable

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Excellent movie choice for anyone looking for some great laughs and a wholly refreshing take on people feeling completely out of place in a foreign land. As good as Scarlett Johansson was in Ghost World, she's even better in this film playing the role of Charlotte who desperately longs for affection, some sleep, and something to do to pass the time while her husband is out constantly working on photo shoots. Bill Murray is completely in his element here. First four star movie I've seen since Seabiscuit worthy of all the incredible praise thrown from all directions. This film will most definately launch Scarlett's career to the next level. Gutsy opening shot from Sophia Coppola to set things in motion. Great touches from the local kids playing all the dance dance revolution inspired rhythm games to some undeniably amusing karaoke scenes. Excellent soundtrack as well with songs from Jesus and The Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine for alternative music lovers. Also believe I heard some recognizable guitar riffs from what sounded like Smashing Pumpkins/Zwan, but the song didn't appear to be an old one to me. Might have been something that Billy Corgan created brand new for the film. Bill Murray sings a cool song from the past Karoke style while Scarlett chooses something much more mainstream. Go see this movie. Coppola creates something simplistically beautiful here with all the right transitions and pacing. Think American Beauty meets a touch of Brokedown Palace a little bit although its not really on the same emotionally invested level as AB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)