Lost of Audio on TV2 with DVR522?

Southern

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Houston
Ever since downloading the 4.13 upgrade, TV2 has randomly been dropping audio; changing channels up/down 1 channel will fix it, and it's happening fairly often -- 4-5 times in a day. I've hard booted the receiver a couple of times, but the problem comes back.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is my receiver finally on the blink?
I've never had a LICK of trouble with this reciever, except for the 4.11 fiasco.

Ah, the benefits and 'features' of the weekly versions of software. Mine is doing it, too. Not to worry, there will be another version soon that will replace these 'features' with new ones.

Ah, the benefits and 'features' of the weekly versions of software. Mine is doing it, too. Not to worry, there will be another version soon that will replace these 'features' with new ones.

Thanks for the verification, MrSchwarz. It's done it 3 times just in the last hour and it's driving me batty. :)

I suppose I'll call the Techies tomorrow and see if it's at least been reported yet.

Thanks for the verification, MrSchwarz. It's done it 3 times just in the last hour and it's driving me batty. :)

I suppose I'll call the Techies tomorrow and see if it's at least been reported yet.

Thank you for taking the time to post. This problem has been driving me nuts for the past week too. I have reported this problem three times. I recently had new cable installed by Dish to resolve a picture quality issue on TV2. The new cabling did not solve the picture quality on TV2, so Dish sent out a new receiver. After installing the new receiver, the picture quality on TV2 was still poor. It turns out the Dish installer did not replace all the cables and the one he left was grounding. After installing the new 522, the audio began dropping on TV2. Another Dish installer was dispatched to fix the video and audio problems. He did a superb job. He found three additional connectors that were not properly terminated and replaced. Finally I have a perfect picture on TV2. The second installer knew about the audio drop, so we agreed if it continued the problem would have to be in the receiver because all the cabling tested out good. The TV2 set was new so all that was left was the receiver.

Well, the audio drop continued. And just like Southern, changing the channel up or down one brought the audio back. I called Dish and they sent out a new receiver. I got it Friday and installed it early Sunday morning. All was good for a while and then the audio on TV2 started dropping again. So I thought to myself, “Self, certainly two receivers can’t be bad, perhaps the audio board on the new TV is defective.” So I set out Tuesday morning to brave the return crowds and I returned my 31 day old TV set and purchased a different brand. I don’t consider myself a beta tester, but perhaps I am with Dish.

I bought a new TV and set it up yesterday evening. All was good…for a while. I went out for about three hours and when I returned turned on TV2 and no audio. I can say this was not good for my stress level. I called Dish technical support for nothing more than entertainment at 2300 last night. They think the problem is in the cabling and have another installer scheduled for this Saturday. I told them I didn’t think the problem is in the cabling. Dish doesn’t believe the problem is in their receiver. We may both be right. As MrSchwarz indicated, the problem may be in the software.

To sum this posting up Southern, I think changing out the receiver will not solve your problem because two new receivers did not solve mine. I am curious what Dish technical support recommended for your TV2 audio drop problem. Please share. Because you are having this same problem, I tend to agree with MrSchwarz that this issue is software related. As of this posting 73 people have viewed this thread. I suspect more are having this problem.

Well, if all feel this is a software issue, I will cancel the Saturday Tech visit. Thank you.

New member here. I just found this post from a google search because I'm having the same issue with my DVR-522.

What is happening with mine is that my TV 1 will start to crackle and pop and I will lose audio completely on TV 2. I can restore the audio on TV 2 by rewinding and fast forwarding and the popping will stop on TV 1. This happens multiple times a day and is very random. It doesn't matter if I'm watching live tv or a recording. This all started happening after the last update which added the "On Demand" options.

I called Dish with the problem and they sent out a new 522 which I hooked up yesterday. All was good until tonight and it happened again. :mad:

This leads me to believe its a software issue and not hardware. If anybody else is having this issue PLEASE call Dish and let them know. They were clueless when I called but if enough people call maybe they will look into the problem and fix it with a new update.

To sum this posting up Southern, I think changing out the receiver will not solve your problem because two new receivers did not solve mine. I am curious what Dish technical support recommended for your TV2 audio drop problem. Please share. Because you are having this same problem, I tend to agree with MrSchwarz that this issue is software related. As of this posting 73 people have viewed this thread. I suspect more are having this problem.

I haven't had a chance to call Dish Tech Support yet, as we left on vacation shortly after my post, and just returned last night.. I'll probably give them a ring tomorrow or the next day and report it. They won't be able to replace my receiver, since I sub-contract through AT&T, but at least I can make them aware that multiple people appear to be having the same problem. :)

Shortbus, I'm sure you called Dish back to report the receiver replacement did not solve the audio drop problem. What was tech support's next suggestion? Thank you.

I haven't had a chance to call Dish Tech Support yet, as we left on vacation shortly after my post, and just returned last night.. I'll probably give them a ring tomorrow or the next day and report it. They won't be able to replace my receiver, since I sub-contract through AT&T, but at least I can make them aware that multiple people appear to be having the same problem. :)

I sub-contract through AT&T too. My first replacement was outside the warranty period so I had to pay shipping. My shipping cost was $24.95. The second receiver they sent was shipped at no charge because it was under the warranty period. Good luck with tech support. Again, I'm curious what advice they dispense. Thanks.

Shortbus, I'm sure you called Dish back to report the receiver replacement did not solve the audio drop problem. What was tech support's next suggestion? Thank you.
I haven't had a chance to call yet. I'll make sure to post the response when I do call.

FYI, if Dish is charging you shipping to send the box back just threaten to cancel your service. They wanted to charge me $15 and I told them to forget it and that I was going to look into Comcast or DirectTV (the truth) and they waived the fee. Its ridiculous to get charged anything for problems that they are causing!

If you have a 522, its time to switch

Ever since downloading the 4.13 upgrade, TV2 has randomly been dropping audio; changing channels up/down 1 channel will fix it, and it's happening fairly often -- 4-5 times in a day. I've hard booted the receiver a couple of times, but the problem comes back.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is my receiver finally on the blink?
I've never had a LICK of trouble with this reciever, except for the 4.11 fiasco.

I have a 522 and have the same issue. On top of that, there are loud popping noises on side1. I am on my 3rd replacement from dish network. Finally, they admitted that their engineers are baffled by this and that they have no eta for a fix. I requested that they update me to a 625 and they agreed to it but, it magically became another 522 in the ups truck and has the same issues. When I called them to complain, they told me just to reboot my reciever when this happens (which is abouat 20 minutes or so after each reboot). They WILL NOT give you a free upgrade to fix the issue. You are required to sign a new contract and pay the $100 for the new reciever. Needless to say, I have an installation date for direct tv.

I called Dish and reported this problem last night. They said that the engineers are aware of the problem and don't know when a fix will be made. They sugguested that I call back every week and report the problem. I have been with Dish Network for 10 years and if this problem is not resolved very soon, I am switching to Direct TV.:mad:

*Sigh*.. We're still having this problem, and it's driving me insane. Has anyone had any luck with Dish Network in getting any info on it? Replacing the box (except maybe with a 625) obviously won't do any good, since the problem is in the software. :(

Well, my problem is fixed! How did I do it? By canceling Dish! I was fed up with getting the run around every time I called. I shouldn't have those types of problems if I'm paying $70/month for TV. The never offered a discount until I called to cancel. Then the only offer was to upgrade me to the 625 box WHICH HAS THE SAME PROBLEM!

Good luck everybody!

amen

Well, my problem is fixed! How did I do it? By canceling Dish! I was fed up with getting the run around every time I called. I shouldn't have those types of problems if I'm paying $70/month for TV. The never offered a discount until I called to cancel. Then the only offer was to upgrade me to the 625 box WHICH HAS THE SAME PROBLEM!

Good luck everybody!

Same here! I cancled dish and made the switch. I got my DirectTV installed about a week ago and I don't know why everyone raves so much about dish. It isn't that DTV has better programming or is cheaper or has better sound... oh, wait... it does have better sound! At least there are no popping and hissing noises.

What really ticked me off was that, even when they did offer me the free upgrade to a 625, and I was stupid enough to take it, it showed up as another 525 (not that it would have mattered since, as we all know, the issue IS on the 625 too.) When I called back to complain, I was told that I was lying and that they never made any such promise.

In the words of Shortbus, Good luck for those with 522's, 625's etc.. !

I just got off the phone after not talking with Dish since 7 Jan. I was told if the audio drop problem was not fixed by 1 Feb 2007, they would send out a 625. Oops, an employee error. Of course, I did not know the 625 has the same problem. So I will not push the 625 issue anymore.

The supervisor I spoke with told me Dish has no record of the audio drop problem. I replied with not so. I did ask the supervisor for a solution. He responded with sending out another 522. I said if the last three didn't solve the problem, I suspect the fourth one won't either. I told him my installation was still under warranty so what was the next alternative. He suggested sending out a tech. If that's your solution, let's do it. You're paying for it. I added if the audio drops after the tech does his work, I'll call back and you can send out another one in a week or two. I can do this for a while. We'll see what happens on Feb 10 while I'm sipping coffee.

I hope the tech brings out another 522. The hard drive has been banging non stop whether or not there is activity. It's not going to be long before this one fails. I will add the audio drop has been less frequent during the last month. It dropped once on the 28th and twice today. Maybe the engineers are working on the problem. Thanks to everyone for providing their experiences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)