Lou Piniella to retire at the end of the 2010 MLB season.

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
...He finally got tired of the the Cubs ownership being the worst in MLB. It finally wore him out.

Lou Piniella isn't waiting around to go out on a high note with the Cubs. The 2010 season will be his last.

Piniella, who turns 67 next month, released a statement Tuesday announcing his intention to retire following this season -- his 23rd as a big league manager. The Cubs are languishing in fourth place in the National League Central at 42-52 as they play out the string in a season marked by turmoil.

"I couldn't be more appreciative of the Cubs organization for providing me the opportunity to manage this ballclub," Piniella said in a statement released by the team. "I've had four wonderful years here that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. I've grown to love the city and the fans but at my age it will be time to enter a new phase in my life. It will enable me to spend more valuable time with my family -- my wife, my kids and my grandchildren. God has blessed me to have been able to work this many years in the game that I love."

Piniella is in the final year of his contract with Chicago, and there had been plenty of speculation that this would be his final season at the helm.

Lou Piniella to Retire as Cubs Manager After Season -- MLB FanHouse

I have heard they have been 'sorta' grooming Ryno for the job for quite some time. It won't make much a difference, the team is awful with a suffocating player salary.

yup but IMHO Soriano does have the best swing in baseball now that JR has retired

alfonsosoriano1.jpg

You would think that a line-up with Derek Lee, Alfonso Soriano, Aramis Ramirez and Giovany Soto and rookie sensation Starlin Castro....that they could produce more runs and win more games. They are a bland middle of the road team, both in hitting AND pitching. They are a mess!

I have heard they have been 'sorta' grooming Ryno for the job for quite some time. It won't make much a difference, the team is awful with a suffocating player salary.

Hopefully he'll do better that Alan Trammel, Tram was sent out to the wolves with NO PLAYERS and endured the 103 loss season, hopefully some day someone will hire him to manage again, some one that actually has Major league players on it would help.

I have a feeling that Ryno would be put in the same situation, with a team thats not going anywhere quick, he''ll be made out to be the bad guy in the long run, much like Tram was...
That said, Tram is doing fine coaching at the moment.

Ex-Tiger Alan Trammell considered possible Piniella replacement

Tony Paul / The Detroit News

Lou Piniella's announcement Tuesday that this will be his final year with the Cubs leaves the door open for popular former Tiger Alan Trammell to manage again.

Trammell managed the talent-starved Tigers from 2003-05 before his firing. He has been the bench coach during Piniella's entire four-year tenure with the Cubs.

The Chicago Tribune has Trammell at the bottom of a five-deep list of possible replacements, saying: "Knows the team and has experience with Detroit. Not the kind of 'big name' hiring that the Cubs normally go for, but he is well liked by (GM Jim) Hendry."

The other names on the Tribune's list: Ryne Sandberg, Joe Girardi, Bob Brenly and Joe Torre.

If Trammell misses out on the managerial job, he'll likely lose his current gig, too. Many managers prefer to bring in their own bench coaches, who are viewed as right-hand men.

Should he be out of a job in Chicago, he should have little problem catching on elsewhere, perhaps with the Diamondbacks if interim manager Kirk Gibson is retained beyond this year. Gibson was Trammell's bench coach most of his three-year tenure in Detroit.

Gibson also is considered a popular pick to replace Torre, should Torre decide to retire or leave the Dodgers for another job. So Trammell could end up there, too.

Trammell, 52, spent his entire 20-year playing career with the Tigers before retiring after the 1996 season.

He joined Larry Parrish's staff in Detroit as hitting coach in 1999, but wasn't kept on when Phil Garner took over the following year. Trammell coached with the Padres in 2000 before the Tigers hired him as manager in October 2002.

Trammell was 186-300 managing the Tigers, in a tough stint that included an American League-record 119 losses his first season and troubles with his star player, Pudge Rodriguez, later on. He was fired in October 2005, and replaced by Jim Leyland, who took the Tigers to the World Series in 2006.

From The Detroit News: Ex-Tiger Alan Trammell considered possible Piniella replacement | detnews.com | The Detroit News

say what you want about lou but he did bring a world championship to the queen city and we, reds fans will be forever grateful!

Tony Paul / The Detroit News

Lou Piniella's announcement Tuesday that this will be his final year with the Cubs leaves the door open for popular former Tiger Alan Trammell to manage again.

From The Detroit News: Ex-Tiger Alan Trammell considered possible Piniella replacement | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Poor Allan Trammell, he will do no better. Not because of managing talents, because it will be the same tired team with the same dumb decisions being made when it comes to players.:(

Poor Allan Trammell, he will do no better. Not because of managing talents, because it will be the same tired team with the same dumb decisions being made when it comes to players.:(

I agree .....

I really wish he could get with a GOOD team, not necessarily a GREAT team, but at least a GOOD team.

But then, most of the GOOD teams aren't looking for managers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts