**LOUD** BHN ads

jcarrera

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Florida
Alright, I will not stand silent (ummmm...such an inappropriate word for this post) any longer. I am sick and tired of the BHN ads not only being louder than the main programming, but even ***SIGNIFICANTLY*** louder than other commercials--which themselves are louder than the programming.

Don't bother telling me the instruments say it ain't so. I have ears--and they work. 80% of the times I reach for the mute button, it is a BHN commercial that's on.

I don't notice the problem here perhaps the people running the controls in Tampa are messing up. Anyone else in Tampa notice this?

I hate the commercials with the polls, "Does Jeremy's hair look good, A for Yes, B for no"

I hate watching Fox News and having a Bay News 9 commercial come on and seeing a "hit B to go to Bay News 9 now"

I hate the RR Lite special for $14.95 a month for a year commercial that tells you to "hit B for more information"

These interactive ads are annoying in that they are only for BHN stuff. You are right though, ads do get louder on any channel and it has been that way with any provider. It is annoying as hell.

Yes the ITV has not kicked off as well as BHN had expected. I guess advertisers dont see any value you it, BHN use's it to try to get the other advertisers into it, and get customers use to it. Hopefully one day it will be used by more advertisers and stations and even FOXnews themselves could run a poll right on the TV and have everyone vote in real time. Thats kinda the idea behind it, its just in its infancy.

Maybe its because i dont have a real nice audio system (just a tv) that i dont notice a big difference in audio. or the fact my tv automatically adjusts the audio levels to keep my speakers from blowing up or something. I dunno

Yes the ITV has not kicked off as well as BHN had expected. I guess advertisers dont see any value you it, BHN use's it to try to get the other advertisers into it, and get customers use to it. Hopefully one day it will be used by more advertisers and stations and even FOXnews themselves could run a poll right on the TV and have everyone vote in real time. Thats kinda the idea behind it, its just in its infancy.

Maybe its because i dont have a real nice audio system (just a tv) that i dont notice a big difference in audio. or the fact my tv automatically adjusts the audio levels to keep my speakers from blowing up or something. I dunno

I don't really have a fancy audio system either. Just a Sony receiver in each room (2) and a few hundred dollars in surround speakers. My Living Room has the newer, better audio system, along with my PS3, using 7.1 channel surround sound. It pisses me off because I cannot watch a Bluray without remote in hand adjusting the volume up and down between action scenes and talking. It gets nerve racking loud and then you can't hear the actors talking. I have tried every mode on the receiver known to man to adjust this problem. After dealing with that for a few movies it makes the BHN commercial audio situation almost a pleasant experience.

On the topic of BHN advertisers. I know several local businesses that are my computer business customers who use BHN for local pinpointed neighborhood advertising. So I am told it is a great value compared to newspaper or yellowpages, or even radio advertising. My customers say they get such a good response out of BHN ads. They also say BHN has a top notch production crew for producing commercials. Even so, they aren't buying into the Interactive ads. It could be their target demographic. For example, seniors generally have analog TV and have no way of interacting in the first place. I would consider advertising on Bay News 9... I guess it is real reasonable, but that will change as more people find the value in it and start advertising there. The price will go up. Look at the newspaper advertising, it is insane! Yellowpages rape you! Radio makes you buy ads on all their stations. BHN may not be such a bad deal. For now.

I don't really have a fancy audio system either. Just a Sony receiver in each room (2) and a few hundred dollars in surround speakers. My Living Room has the newer, better audio system, along with my PS3, using 7.1 channel surround sound. It pisses me off because I cannot watch a Bluray without remote in hand adjusting the volume up and down between action scenes and talking. It gets nerve racking loud and then you can't hear the actors talking. I have tried every mode on the receiver known to man to adjust this problem. After dealing with that for a few movies it makes the BHN commercial audio situation almost a pleasant experience.

On the topic of BHN advertisers. I know several local businesses that are my computer business customers who use BHN for local pinpointed neighborhood advertising. So I am told it is a great value compared to newspaper or yellowpages, or even radio advertising. My customers say they get such a good response out of BHN ads. They also say BHN has a top notch production crew for producing commercials. Even so, they aren't buying into the Interactive ads. It could be their target demographic. For example, seniors generally have analog TV and have no way of interacting in the first place. I would consider advertising on Bay News 9... I guess it is real reasonable, but that will change as more people find the value in it and start advertising there. The price will go up. Look at the newspaper advertising, it is insane! Yellowpages rape you! Radio makes you buy ads on all their stations. BHN may not be such a bad deal. For now.

Perhaps when set-top boxes are so cheap BHN gives everyone a box (and gets rid of analog) perhaps itv will kick off more. I find it interesting not from the ad standpoint but like our local CFL News 13 (equal to bay news 9) they do alot of polling using it and its neat to get real time responses to the polls. But the ads do get annoying, but sometimes if its interested ill usally goto the companies website or google them, so this way I can just click A and find out more,

I'm in Brevard.

That is odd, is it only on HD channels? or analog/digital to? I honestly dont notice it of course rarely watch TV that is 'live' and not already dvr'ed so I dont get many commercials. and when i am watching live tv its just noise in the background as im working on the pc.

That is odd, is it only on HD channels? or analog/digital to? I honestly dont notice it of course rarely watch TV that is 'live' and not already dvr'ed so I don't get many commercials. and when i am watching live tv its just noise in the background as im working on the pc.
The topic kind of strayed from loud BHN commercials, but I don't have HD. I have HDDVR 8300HD for the larger hard drive. So I am on analog and non-HD digital channels.

Trust me, they are LOUD, and I believe, intentionally so, because they are so much louder than programming and other commercials--or BHN's production department doesn't know what they are doing, and I don't believe that.

LATER: Have to be honest here...just a few minutes ago there was one on FNC that seemed to be only EQUAL to the loudness of other commercials, rather than louder than them, but it was still louder than the programing

Last edited:
Id say they are idiots because it would not make sense to do it on purpose. Because it draws the exact opposite action an advertiser would want, they dont want you to quickly hit mute or get irate over an ad.

I live in Pinellas and I notice it big time! The ads are SO much louder than the regular programming. It is obnoxious.

What is so amazing is that they haven't figured out that we have the mute button on our remotes, and they are totally losing the ad because we cut it off--at least that is what I do. So increasing the volume is counterproductive. "Hey, let's piss off the customer. Maybe they'll come buy our stuff."

If the ad is loud enough that I notice the loudness, the ad audio is GONE instantly. I've even been known to move to another channel.

I live in Pinellas and I notice it big time! The ads are SO much louder than the regular programming. It is obnoxious.

It has really gotten bad over the last two weeks here in St Pete . They are doing it on purpose for sure. If they weren't, the problem wouldn't exist this long.

Thats odd, have you guys reported it to the local tampa offices? I dont notice it here in orlando at least not often. Every now and again when it jumps to a local ad ill see a change, but that could just be the idiot running the board not watching levels.

I've noticed this problem as well. Channel 13 itself is way louder then the other channels and the ads are even louder. BHN ads are either too quiet ( don't mind that as much) or blasting loud. I also find myself avoiding commercials by either muting or switching channels. I have had customers complain about this as well.

I have not reported it, but it is getting really bad on ALL channels here in the Tampa Bay market.

My wife noticed it independent of me.

I really enjoy having ID, Fox Biz, or Fox News on in the background while I work, sometimes on the phone with my customers. In order to have it not so loud that it interrupts my phone conversations, I now have to turn it down to the point where I can't hear the normal program I am watching. If I have it at a volume I can hear the program and get on the phone, if it goes to commercials it BLASTS way too loud.

When I am sitting there watching live TV, I now have remote in hand and have to turn the volume down, without fail, each time commercials come on.

Yes, it is getting REALLY bad.

Why are they doing this?

No idea, but id report it.. If you dont report it and assume the next guy will, it will never get reported. I have been to outages in neighborhoods more then 24hours after they started because everyone assumed someone else would call.

I highly doubt its intentional, I would more then likely think the guys running the local boards are just idiots. What benefit would they get out of annoying customers? Specially if they are "BHN Ads" Because if your hearing them that loud and its BHN that controls them, obviously you are already a customer, so they would not want to make you mad.

I have not noticed the problem here, but I also dont watch a lot of commercials. Sometimes the tv is on live tv in the background for noise, but when I watch tv to watch it, if its not recorded on the DVR or on-demand I dont watch it. Cant stand commercials on channels I have to pay to watch. IE: USA networks, ESPN etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts