Lousy Dish install experience

johnnymac

Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Hi. I'm new to Dish Network. We've had our service up and running for about two weeks now, with no complaints other than a few minor issues with the 522. My big problem was with the install. Our first try at an installation was scratched because we couldn't get a good line of sight. The installer was super-nice though, and spent over an hour at our house trying to find a location that worked. When it became clear that we couldn't, I told him that we'd cut out some tree limbs and reschedule. But the guys who came out the second time had a completely different attitude than the first guy (in fact, they were from a completely different installation office). We wanted the dish installed on a pole by a tree, but they pretty much pressured my wife into mounting it on the tree instead, which looked like sh*t, even though she asked repeatedly for them to mount it on a pole. They told her that no cable trenching was included, and that it would cost $75 to trench the 100' from the dish to the house. When she agreed to take them up on it, they said they didn't have a shovel and asked to borrow one. She wisely decided that she'd let me do it instead. And when they got inside, they just installed the receiver at the first TV they saw, rather than looking for the one close to a phone line, then told her, "Your husband can connect that when he gets home." All told, they weren't even there as long as the first guy who left without successfully installing Dish.

When I got home, I was ticked. Then I read the back of the service agreement and saw that 50' of trenching was supposed to be included, and I was even more ticked. So I called Dish and they agreed to send someone out to reinstall. I got them to re-mount the dish on a pole where we wanted it in the first place, but they still refused to do any trenching, saying that pole mount and trenching are not included, and that should be happy because I got a pole mount for free. By this time I was fed up and didn't even worry about the receiver location because I knew it would be a hassle and a longer phone cord would do the trick.

Anyway, I guess I'm posting to find out if those of you who know a thing or two about Dish agree that I got lousy service, and if there's anything to be gained by pursuing it further with Dish. Every other contact we had with them has been outstanding, and the customer service people I spoke to throughout this were apologetic and worked to resolve matters for me. And in the end, we got the dish where we want it. I did the trenching myself, and ran the phone line myself. But it's the BS from the installers that I'm most angry about, and the fact that our service at installation was so poor in contrast to what we got from people on the phone.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

johnnymac said:
Hi. I'm new to Dish Network. We've had our service up and running for about two weeks now, with no complaints other than a few minor issues with the 522. My big problem was with the install. Our first try at an installation was scratched because we couldn't get a good line of sight. The installer was super-nice though, and spent over an hour at our house trying to find a location that worked. When it became clear that we couldn't, I told him that we'd cut out some tree limbs and reschedule. But the guys who came out the second time had a completely different attitude than the first guy (in fact, they were from a completely different installation office). We wanted the dish installed on a pole by a tree, but they pretty much pressured my wife into mounting it on the tree instead, which looked like sh*t, even though she asked repeatedly for them to mount it on a pole. They told her that no cable trenching was included, and that it would cost $75 to trench the 100' from the dish to the house. When she agreed to take them up on it, they said they didn't have a shovel and asked to borrow one. She wisely decided that she'd let me do it instead. And when they got inside, they just installed the receiver at the first TV they saw, rather than looking for the one close to a phone line, then told her, "Your husband can connect that when he gets home." All told, they weren't even there as long as the first guy who left without successfully installing Dish.

When I got home, I was ticked. Then I read the back of the service agreement and saw that 50' of trenching was supposed to be included, and I was even more ticked. So I called Dish and they agreed to send someone out to reinstall. I got them to re-mount the dish on a pole where we wanted it in the first place, but they still refused to do any trenching, saying that pole mount and trenching are not included, and that should be happy because I got a pole mount for free. By this time I was fed up and didn't even worry about the receiver location because I knew it would be a hassle and a longer phone cord would do the trick.

Anyway, I guess I'm posting to find out if those of you who know a thing or two about Dish agree that I got lousy service, and if there's anything to be gained by pursuing it further with Dish. Every other contact we had with them has been outstanding, and the customer service people I spoke to throughout this were apologetic and worked to resolve matters for me. And in the end, we got the dish where we want it. I did the trenching myself, and ran the phone line myself. But it's the BS from the installers that I'm most angry about, and the fact that our service at installation was so poor in contrast to what we got from people on the phone.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Send you experience to Ceo@echostar.com and ask for something for your work that you shouldn't have had to do.....
Maybe youll get some free crap out of it

It seems as though when you call E* directly, you get an installed that may not be very good. I first called a local retailer with a good reputation to do the install, they couldn't do anything because I was a previous customer. I called E* directly and they gave me the 'new customer' treatment with the free stuff, etc. Then E* sent out an installer that was from Lincoln, NE (halfway across the state) instead of Kearney which is nearby. Kearney has at least 3 known local providers that do installations(according to dishnetwork.com). My guess is that E* saved some money by doing this--money is usually why companies do the things they do.
Anyway, the installer left before the 811 had finished downloading the software, wanted to use some existing (horrible) cable, didn't peak the signals, ran out of cable clips for the outside of the house, removed the ground for my cable tv coa:mad:used it for the dish), talked on the phone to his wife every 15-20 minutes, got finished at 8:30 at night, and left everything on the dish loose. The above is why I wanted to do a self-install or have a local installer do it. I didn't bother calling because they might send out someone the same or worse. I got it set-up with a little extra effort and minimal cost. I plan to send an e-mail to ceo@echostar.com just to let them know.

Just like to add that I forwarded the above response from me to ceo@echostar.com and got a call a few minutes ago. Mainly just apologies, she will forward it on to that particular regional manager(she is in charge of the regional managers), and will affect how many installs that company gets from E*, if any in the future. IMO, if you get a poor install absolutely tell them at ceo@echostar.com.

Well just remember you have two alternatives. Directv which I think is better than DISH and Cable who has special offers for satellite customers that want to come back. You can always remind DISH of these facts when they feel they don't owe you service, especially with their J.D.Powers award.