Loyal Dish customer longevity

Yea shouldn't we get some kind of 25th anniversary perk? We purchased our first Dish Receiver (3000?) during the Christmas holidays of 1995. Folks will say how can that be when Dish did not start until March 1996. When we started with DISH, It was not called DISH yet. When we started it was only referred to as ECHOSTAR...
Unfortunately D* is the same way ...
In my personal opinion, they sign you up for a 2 year commitment originally, you complete that 2 years, you should have No More Commitments after that.

Just made 24 years last month. One year left on my price freeze agreement. Will reevaluate next January when I hit 25 years on 1/18/ 2022. about whether to keep them or go with online site for entertainment. I already have Tablo for ota and it can record 4 shows on 4 different channels at the same time. Add Slingtv and I could save some money and eliminate the Dvr fee and equipment fees.
I do more streaming on our ROKU Ultras than I watch DISH but wifey insists on keeping DISH and she's paying the Dish bill and I still get the benefits. She does admit to loving our ROKU streaming programming though.

1995 Here. Bought system at Circuit City and paid a contractor for install. (May have been Charlie for all I know) New home and totally irritated with Comcast at the time. Have not looked back. Two Hoppers and excellent customer service. Sometime need to push the issue with the CSR's. Just tell them we have had service longer than their age and know the drill.

I don't remember the exact year but it was in the 90's. Bought a kit which included a legacy receiver, dish 300 and included the 1st year of programming. After having ota only this made tv junkies out of us for awhile.
Same here but my kit came with a 4900 and this was the early 2000's.
Signed on with dish in the mid 90s. I still have the receiver.
OK, I give. Why do you still have that useless receiver?

I was a teenager in 1996 and my dad brought home the basic kit - an 18" dish with single output LNB to 119 only with a model 2000 receiver and self install kit. The "deluxe" model was the same 2000 receiver but included a dual LNB and UHF remote. Anyway, the old man told me to try and hook it up and I managed to get it working. A couple years later I ended up installing for a local retailer throughout college and a few years after. It was a fun job and I really enjoyed it, especially during the heyday of satellite TV.

One early advertisement of DISH is my avatar, that guy was featured in all the brochures and I walked past a 6' tall cardboard cutout of DISHman in a spacesuit holding a TV with channel logos taped all over his spacesuit with a dish on his head for way too many years, it was right by the front door of the retailer I worked for.

Last edited:
1995 Here. Bought system at Circuit City and paid a contractor for install. (May have been Charlie for all I know) New home and totally irritated with Comcast at the time. Have not looked back. Two Hoppers and excellent customer service. Sometime need to push the issue with the CSR's. Just tell them we have had service longer than their age and know the drill.
Yea 25 years and we say "JUMP" and they say, How High? Well almost!

25 Years with Dish and when we say "Jump", they say "How High"? Well almost! But really, we've been pretty happy with Echostar/Dish.

I was a teenager in 1996 and my dad brought home the basic kit - an 18" dish with single output LNB to 119 only with a model 2000 receiver and self install kit. The "deluxe" model was the same 2000 receiver but included a dual LNB and UHF remote. Anyway, the old man told me to try and hook it up and I managed to get it working. A couple years later I ended up installing for a local retailer throughout college and a few years after. It was a fun job and I really enjoyed it, especially during the heyday of satellite TV.

One early advertisement of DISH is my avatar, that guy was featured in all the brochures and I walked past a 6' tall cardboard cutout of DISHman in a spacesuit holding a TV with channel logos taped all over his spacesuit with a dish on his head for way too many years, it was right by the front door of the retailer I worked for.
Great Story!

Reactions: pattykay
I had the local installer come out September 1996. He said I could get a signal so I gave him a deposit and he ordered the equipment. Dish offered 16 channels at that time. 2 weeks later when the installation was done 4 more channels were added. I remember 1 was Cartoon Network. I started with a 4000 receiver and quickly added a 5000 to get TV in 2 different rooms.

Those were exciting times.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Not quite 20 years; installed the morning of 9/11 in 2001. Had no idea what was going on in NY until the installer arrived.
WOW, what a way to be introduced and entertained by your brand new DISH programming. Shocking day indeed!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)