Status
Please reply by conversation.

billbillw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Atlanta
A few questions for all you LSS3200a owners:

Do you find that occasionally the screen image gets blown up and shifted way to the right? It leaves the whole left side of the screen black and you only see the lower left corner of the original image, magnified to at least twice the original size. A simple power off cycle (not reset or unplugging) sets the image back to normal, but its somewhat annoying. I'm watching through DVI with the STB set on the 1080i pic setting. I think it happened while tuned to an OTA digital channel once and a D* HD channel the other time.

I just swapped my DTC210 with a refurbed LSS3200a and everything seems fine except for the occurance of the above mentioned shifting/blowing up. Its happened twice in a day and its easy to fix, but I don't know if this is indicative of a larger problem. I had the DTC210 for 6 months prior and never had this kind of behavior. Do you power the STB off nightly? In my 6 months of DTC210, I never saw this kind of behavoir and I rarely cycled the power.

For those wondering why I would swap out a perfectly good DTC210, it was mainly because of the long standing issues of the H-line during vertical pans, the stretched 4:3 image, and the black crush through DVI. RCAs lack of action to fix these issues finally got to me. I noticed an immediate improvement in image quality with the LG box, especially with SD material and 720p feeds.

billbillw said:
A few questions for all you LSS3200a owners:

Do you find that occasionally the screen image gets blown up and shifted way to the right? It leaves the whole left side of the screen black and you only see the lower left corner of the original image, magnified to at least twice the original size. A simple power off cycle (not reset or unplugging) sets the image back to normal, but its somewhat annoying. I'm watching through DVI with the STB set on the 1080i pic setting. I think it happened while tuned to an OTA digital channel once and a D* HD channel the other time.

I just swapped my DTC210 with a refurbed LSS3200a and everything seems fine except for the occurance of the above mentioned shifting/blowing up. Its happened twice in a day and its easy to fix, but I don't know if this is indicative of a larger problem. I had the DTC210 for 6 months prior and never had this kind of behavior. Do you power the STB off nightly? In my 6 months of DTC210, I never saw this kind of behavoir and I rarely cycled the power.

For those wondering why I would swap out a perfectly good DTC210, it was mainly because of the long standing issues of the H-line during vertical pans, the stretched 4:3 image, and the black crush through DVI. RCAs lack of action to fix these issues finally got to me. I noticed an immediate improvement in image quality with the LG box, especially with SD material and 720p feeds.

I have one and have never had anything like this happen. The addition of deleted channels is another thing, however. It's VERY annoying! :(
Chip

I've found that if I change the channel to one with a different format, it resets itself as well. ie: watching 1080i, change channel to 480i and back. I think there is a problem with the box and its going to need service/replacement. Damn. I hope there is another 3200a out there to replace it with.

I've tested this some more and figured out that it doens't have the problem if I'm viewing through component. I'm calling LG on Monday.

I've now noticed that when I switch off the TV or change inputs on the TV away from the HDMI/DVI, the LG front display indicates that it is switching from DVI back to RGB. When I turn the TV back on or switch the input back to the DVI/HDMI, the LG box senses the DVI signal and goes back to DVI on the front panel, of course, this is where the image gets shifted/distorted.

Do you others notice that the box panel display goes back to RGB when you turn off your TV and leave the STB on? LG has never heard of this shifting image/distortion problem and they are trying to blame it on the fact that I'm using a DVI>HDMI adapter, but that shouldn't matter. I've tested the same exact setup with an RCA DTC210 and there is no issue with the image getting distorted when I turn off the TV or change inputs.

charper1 said:
The short answer is NO, I have never seen this.

Try another adapter.

Nothing wrong with the adapter.

What I was asking is for you to look closely at your front panel on the 3200a and see if the DVI icon changes to RGB when you turn off the TV or change inputs. I'm not expecting you to see the image distortion mentioned above.

I went ahead and did an RMA on this receiver. Hopefully the replacement won't have these problems. If it does, I will be selling it on Ebay and going back to my trusty DTC210 until MPEG4 comes along. The DTC210 has its share of problems, but it was stable and never needed to be powered off.

I got my replacement and it has the same exact problem. It looks like the LSS3200a just doesn't like being hooked to HDMI. It works fine until it loses the signal of the DVI/HDMI, like when you power off the TV or switch the TV to a different input. When you come back to the DVI/HDMI input, the display is corrupted about 70% of the times I tried. This is actually in line with problems that are reported by other people with HDMI connections. They usually are instructed by the manufacturers to always power on the display before the HDMI device. That eliminates the problem for me, but its just different than I'm used to. I don't like powering off the STB. I guess I'll stick to the component output for now. It doesn't have any problems.

Charper, I saw in another post that you only use the component outputs for your LSS3200. Why didn't you mention that? If you don't use the DVI, then of course you wouldn't see this problem.

I switched to component only when i moved to a FPTV mounted to the ceiling some 27.5' away from my receiver. Before that I was DVI and never had these issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)