Made the plunge...one problem.

I_Machine

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
$489 at Costco made me do it...went in for some chicken parmigiana, and walked out with that and a 921 :D

So, it works as well as I expected, with only one glaring problem. Tried searching for a similar issue, but the search terms are too broad. Anyway, here goes: in 1080i mode, any graphics-heavy SD broadcast (South Park, anything on Cartoon network, ch. 101 when shots of the program guide show up, etc...) causes black streaks across the screen, and in some extreme cases, the whole picture jumps up and down.

Doesn't happen on an HD broadcast, or if I switch it to 480p. It's hooked up to component inputs of a 30" CRT. So, software issue, or send it to Dish?

Thanks guys!

My 921 is coming up on one year and I've not heard of that either.

Might want to recheck your component connections although I doubt that would be it since it doesn't do it on HD channels.

Call Dish.

Thanks for the suggestions...I'm not thoroughly convinced it's the 921's fault. While playing around with it I remembered an issue I had a year ago when I first got my monitor and the 811. Something similar would happen when I brought up the guide on the 811, just not as severe. I switched it to another input, and it was fine since. I'm going to take the 921 to a friend's house, hook it up to his monitor and eliminate the 921 from the list of suspects.

The thing that makes me suspect the monitor is the streaks affect the monitor's on-screen menu as well. It's a Philips 30PW850H.

Solved!

It is, in fact, the monitor...threw an old pc monitor on the DVI output using a DVI-VGA dongle, and no lines! So now I gotta get a repair call from Philips...which I've heard can be quite painful...

Good news is I have a quite stable 921 in my posession...it even pulls OTA in better than my 811!

Re: Philips service.

I had minor trouble with my 60PP9352 - jitter when being overdriven I think (never found out). Tried to get a service call. I live well over an hour from Colorado Springs. Daily phone calls from/to P*. They ALWAYS had the details/history of the incident in-hand, which is how it should be. :up

They tried to find me someone that was willing to get here and couldn't. I offered to swap boards, etc if they sent them to me. Was told they weren't sure if they could do that. A week went by and I was starting to worry.

Got a call that morning from a freight company wanting to know when they could deliver my new TV. :shocked

Even better, I got a letter a few days later authorizing a "scrap-in-place" of my old TV. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts