Make DISH lose $50 a month by downgrading AEP to Silver 200 !

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Like Scott, I'm planning to downgrade my AEP to Silver 200 to protest DISH's outrageous receiver price increase.

The current price difference between AEP and Silver 200 is $50.

Do you think the monthly $50 loss in revenue is loud enough statement to make DISH realize what a stupid mistake they're making?

I have AEP to save on the DVR fee. Now I'll just watch BluRay movies and wait for HBO/Sho/Starz originals to be released on DVD/BluRay later. Why keep the premiums?

The picture quality on those HD channels are awful compared to Bluray anyway!

I don't watch Biography or the NBA network. I wish there's a way I can avoid paying ALL sports networks! So Silver 200 is the most logical choice!

Do you know if DISH would be willing to swap out my 4 owned 622/722's with leased 612's without too much lease fees?

Ironically I bought these 622's and 72's before the 612's are available! So now DISH wants to penalize early adopters like us? Unbelievable!

I'm down grading mine but i don't have AEP i 'm just dropping about 2 premiums because of the price increase that and with all 4 they show the same thing alot of times and repeats also.

I don't watch Biography or the NBA network. I wish there's a way I can avoid paying ALL sports networks! So Silver 200 is the most logical choice!

Do you know if DISH would be willing to swap out my 4 owned 622/722's with leased 612's without too much lease fees?

Ironically I bought these 622's and 72's before the 612's are available! So now DISH wants to penalize early adopters like us? Unbelievable!

I'd be careful there as the 612s have a whole lot more problems than the 622 or 722 models

Make Dish Lose $50 a month by Downgrading AEP to Silver 200

Currently have AEP Here with Dish Network 622 Receiver, and 2 311's

Read over the Dish Price Increase Topic, but still confused on the Price Increase, Exactly How much would a situation like ours Go Up anyways? Is it worth trying to get Dish network swap our Current 622 Receiver For 2 612 Receivers, Both HD Capable for the HDTV's?

We do watch the Premium channels daily, HBO, Cinemax and Starz and Encore and Showtime, As for the Rest of the AEP Channels we don't watch all that much. Not sure yet what exactly where gonna do when the price increase happens at all

Been with Dish Network Since 2005 though, Subscribed thru at&t

I'd be careful there as the 612s have a whole lot more problems than the 622 or 722 models

Can you be more specific? What sort of problems?

I do love my 622/722's but don't know about paying extra $21 a month just because I bought them BEFORE 612's were available.

Can you be more specific? What sort of problems?

I do love my 622/722's but don't know about paying extra $21 a month just because I bought them BEFORE 612's were available.

Just do a search in this and the technical forums for "612 problem" they are all over the place.

Isn't this sorta what Dish wants? You downgrade your programming, so they pay less to the providers. You keep your receivers, though, and the higher fees you are paying on those is pure profit. I think a more damaging protest would be to get rid of receivers.

I'm toying with the idea of downgrading from AEP + HD + 2 HD DVRs to 200 + HD + four premiums @ $40. This would result in a net $1.01 increase, with the higher hardware costs. I'm trying to figure out what programming I would lose, and the Dish website is very confusing. For one thing, they show the 200 package having all the Sirius channels, which I'm not sure is correct. I know I lose Versus, Biography, and Natl Geo, but it's hard to pick out of the text lists exactly what else. Can someone point me to a site that tells me that "250 is 200 plus X, Y, and Z?"

Brad

Nevermind, found it here: http://www.dishuser.com/at250.php

Last edited:
I was planning on doing that but after reading some of the nightmares with the 612 receivers, I think I'll just pay the $7.00 I would've saved.

Same here. I did a chat this morning to see what my bill would be trading my 722k for a 612. They told me $7 savings. I said thanks but no thanks. I will just eat the $7 I would have saved.

You are better off staying with what you have. Under the new price changes you will pay $17 for each additional 622/722. If you go with 612's you will pay $10 each.

So example - if you have 4 total tv's and a 622/722 = $17 for the box and $6 for both DVR's

4 612's= $30 for the 3 additional boxes and 1 $6 dvr fee. That is a $13 increase.

I was planning on doing that but after reading some of the nightmares with the 612 receivers, I think I'll just pay the $7.00 I would've saved.
Think again, all of you. I have a 722 purchased pre "K". I also lease two 612's which were apparently new (not refurbished). One of them has given me no trouble whatsoever. The other couldn't scan in any OTA channels until I added a trap for WNVC which is about 2.5mi away from me and wiping out it's tuner with a very powerful signal. (This happened to other ATSC tuners I had as well.) Every once in awhile (maybe once/quarter) it looses it's connection to its disk and needs to be unplugged for a few seconds. This could be due to crufty power, as I do not have any UPS on these boxes.

My 722? Don't get me started! It has several times gone berserk and deleted all my recordings, or as many as it could before crashing. It's latest quirk is to go blank on TV2 and refuse to turn on. Hard reset needed to clear that condition. It has quite freqently gone blank on the video on all channels. We can see the banner when changing channels, and we can look at the guide, but we see no video and hear no audio. Search on disk overheating problems, if you want to get your eyes opened about the 722.

All in all, I think a lot of 612's went out with bad disks. Other than that (and in my particular case), the problems with the 612's are minimal and less serious than the problems I've had with my 722. If you get a 612 with a good disk, you'll be pleased. (No PIP though.)

I wonder if all these new DVR fees have something to do with TIVO. Is this Charlie's
way of dealing with the Tivo lawsuit through higher fee's?

You are better off staying with what you have. Under the new price changes you will pay $17 for each additional 622/722. If you go with 612's you will pay $10 each.

So example - if you have 4 total tv's and a 622/722 = $17 for the box and $6 for both DVR's

4 612's= $30 for the 3 additional boxes and 1 $6 dvr fee. That is a $13 increase.

4 622's/722's = $17 x3 + 6 = $58

4 612's = $10 x 3 + 6 = $36

$58 - $36 = $22 savings per month to switch over to 612's!

Yeah, I have been having a lot of problems with the both 612s since we first installed, I would not recommend them. They won't upgrade them to 722k cause we have two and two 211ks, and we don't want to have sd on one of the hd sets. So they finally agreed to send us new ones, and if these 612s do not work they will let us out of our contract without the ETF. I actually switched from FIOS because of the equipment and ended up with these two lemons. If the new ones do not work I will go back to FIOS and save up for a tivo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)