OTHER Manhattan RC-1978

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dbshelton

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2008
Kountze,Texas
Disclaimer: I am a 59 year old FTA novice. Messed around with this stuff years ago and am now giving it another try. This will be a trickle of info. Just received my Manhattan RC-1978 yesterday. Looked quickly over the manual, unplugged my old receiver, and hooked up the new one. Pretty straight forward. Programmed in a couple of birds. Picture looks good. Then I figure out I am about 2 degrees off. G3C channels show up on G19. G19 channels show up on G16. Looks like I need to make some alignment changes.

It's not alignment to the dish needed, if you're just receiving them on the wrong sat slot. Sat positions in the receiver need to be changed to the correct ones and then rescanned for the right transponders.

Did you input the correct LONGITUDE for your location into the setup menu? If all the sats are out by 2 degrees then a quick cheat is to alter your LONG setting by 2 degrees or change the individual sats positions by 2 or go out and carefully nudge the dish over to the sat that is closest to true south.

I was thinking DISEcQ, not USALS. Usals isn't quite as easy as what I said to do in a earlier post.

Are your long/lat settings correct? If you're not sure, you can check at dishpointer.com. Enter your location and select motorized dish, it'll give you what all your settings should be.

It's been quite a while since I've used USALS, but I think you can get it by just playing around with your long setting in the receiver, adjusting that setting a bit one way or the other.

Slow typing, Jorgek's got it covered.:)

If the USALS position is calculated 2 degrees out of actual position, the motor and/or dish is not correctly centered on the arc.

Does the dish bracket have a bolt that passes through the motor post or is it a u-bolt type mount? If a u-bolt mount, make sure that the dish is parallel to the motor when the motor is positioned at "0" centered. This can be done by measuring from a point on the dish edge to the center of the motor tube then an identical measurement point on the opposite side of the reflector to the center of the motor tube. Both measurements must be equal to indicate the dish is centered on the motor.

Cheating by offsetting the longitude setting 2 degrees from the correct setting in USALS set-up menu is a work around that will get you by until the motor position can be fixed.

The offset of the longitude setting will not correct the incorrect mechanical setting of the motor and/or dish bracket. Satellites may be tracked near the top (center) of the arc, but will not be track further out near the East/West edges.

Changed the Longitude -1.5 degrees and everything worked out for now. When the weather dries up I'm gonna do some measuring, adjusting, and may swap out the LNBF to a Maverick PLL that I bought.
Don't have much to compare to, but the 1978 seems to be pretty easy to use and scans pretty quickly.

BTW... Before changing anything at the dish, use the "GoTo 0" function on the receiver and verify that the motor is driven to the centered "0" position.

If the motor tube pointer is not exactly pointed at "0", drive the motor to the centered position and perform a reset. It is possible that the motor was not at the "0" position if it was previously reset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)