Many HD DVD Players out of Stock

Hoopnoop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
I was checking for the availability of HD DVD players online today and it looks like they are now out of stock at most places. And the Ebay prices on this units have risen to $600-$650 to reflect this. This confirms my general impression that these units are receiving good early reviews and are selling well.

last time I looked...

teamerickson said:
You should pick one up vurbano. :D

Best Buy still had a few (Reno) and the sales guy said their 1st shipment consisted of a whole 7 units! Reno is a pretty affluent town too these days!

Tower Records has a sign up telling customers about HD-DVD...but they will not stock any...instead they direct you to online sales! Spoke with the Blockbuster Manager and he said corporate has not even mentioned HD-DVD or Blue Ray to them! Guess they want to stay on the fence for a while! (the manager said I have been the only person that even asked about HD-DVD ) Not a really great sign of "I can't wait types"....compare that kind of excitement to the introduction of the XBOX 360...and IMHO that is a complete waste of $$$ $60 for a game.HA, that will be the day for me!

Considering the current number of DVD Player owners out there...I dunno about just how well they are selling.

Normal progressive cheapo DVD players are selling at 49.99 at Walmart. My 1st Progressive scan player was a Pioneer and cost over $650, so pricing is not bad on the Toshiba for videophiles!

jeff

No 1080P?

dfergie said:
None in these parts yet... need some guinea pigs to test all the formats... :)

My understanding is that the toshibas will not output 1080P...Is that correct? If so...more reason to wait, since 1080P (and I will need a new HDTV) would make me more interested!

Happy Robert is doing well with them though!

jeff

Blu-ray 1080p is displayed at 24 fps and HD DVD is 1080i at 60 fps. No visual difference when HD DVDs 1080i 60 fps is displayed on a 1080p native display. Assuming anyone has a 1080p native display.

-Robert

Thank You Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Blu-ray 1080p is displayed at 24 fps and HD DVD is 1080i at 60 fps. No visual difference when HD DVDs 1080i 60 fps is displayed on a 1080p native display. Assuming anyone has a 1080p native display.

Thank You Robert....You sure know your stuff!!! At 58 and wearing progressive multi focals...I probably wouldn't even notice!!!:D

jeff

Sold out at all the Best Buys in my area (northern Virginia). As far as I can tell, most online places are out of stock except Value Elec is expecting a shipment Friday.

Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Jeff, I'm also 58, but I bet we know great video when we see it.

-Robert

Hi Robert

You Betcha:D ....I know my 2006 Plasma looks better than my 2006 Mits RP both HDTV w/ 720p native!!!! I can still see the great upconversion that my Pioneer Elite 59i has too:D

You can bet that when I am ready ...I will buy what ever equipment from YOU!!

Regards
Jeff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)