Many Rutgers fans may not be able to see bowl game

A problem easily solved by buying a DTV system. The NFL paid for the rights of the game and should not have to bend over and kiss people from N.J.'s rear.
Perhaps the NFL could set up a one-time PPV for the cable companies who don't provide for their customers and charge like $39.95 for it.

i do feel bad for rutgers. they deserved better than being regulated to the nfl network. and, doh, not all of us want direct ``the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing'' tv!!

Someone to should tell the NFL network to stop being greedy and strong arming the cable companies. If their product is good enough they dont need .70cents per sub, they should be able to make enough money in advertising. ABC/NBC/CBS all these stations dont have a problem wit hadvertising money..

stevenl;ABC/NBC/CBS all these stations dont have a problem wit hadvertising money..[/QUOTE said:
Oh,
Then why is it they are so adament about you watching thier local channel.
I would like to be able to timeshift, but we can't do thet anymore BECAUSE of local demands that we ONLY watch thier local network.

Thats why the SPOT BEAM stuff came to be important.

I would like to be able to get other cities, not nessasaraly free, if they wanted to charge a reasonable fee for them I would be interested.

I use to get the Denver 5 for about $60 a year, and that was the most expensive set of channels.

IF whoever is responsible (NAB) wold wake up, maybe D* and DISH could offer the persons local and another would be available with a charge or like 5 p/m.
They could set it up so that IF you had your locals you would be eligable for other markets as well. (not available with spot beams, although, other markets IN your spot beam would actually be available without to muich trouble on D*'s end)

I personally would like to get the Columbus, Ohio networks from August to Febuary, and Detroit all year and Denver 5 to time shift with, even Chicago would be good.

I would be willing to pay for these options, $ 5 p/m for the first market $ 3 for the next ect. provided it's in your spot beam, like they do for the pay channels.

I supose this should have been a seperate thread actually, as it no longer has anything to do with Rutgers, unless I ask about the NY channels.

Jimbo

Update: The NFL Network has announced a free preview week for Dec. 24-30 so that fans can see the 2 College Bowl games, but not the NFL game.

If you're affected, I'd start calling your cable provider to let them know you want the free preview. If they still shut you out, it's on them.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9867081

New York Rutgers fans get chance to watch Texas Bowl

New York Rutgers fans get chance to watch Texas Bowl
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The NFL Network will be available for free to most Time Warner Cable subscribers next week, giving many Rutgers fans a chance to watch the team's bowl game.

The network said Monday it accepted Time Warner's offer to make a "freeview" available from Dec. 24-30 to customers who subscribe to the cable TV operator's digital basic tier. Time Warner confirmed that 75 percent of its New York-area customers receive that particular service.

Rutgers, coming off one of the best seasons in school history, plays Kansas State in the Texas Bowl on Dec. 28 in Houston.

"We're delighted for both the Rutgers fans and our customers in the New York City-New Jersey area," Time Warner Cable spokesman Mark Harrad said.

The "freeview" will also include the Insight Bowl between Minnesota and Texas Tech on Dec. 29, but it will not include the Dec. 30 NFL game between the New York Giants and Washington Redskins. Fans in the New York and Washington areas can see that game on another station.

Neither Time Warner nor Cablevision, two of the nation's largest cable carriers, carry the NFL Network. Last week, Cablevision agreed to broadcast the network only for the Texas Bowl, showing all pre- and post-game coverage.

The Texas Bowl not being available to many viewers in New York had become a contentious issue because Rutgers has become a popular team in the area. The NFL Network owns the rights to the Texas Bowl.

The NFL Network is available in about 40 million of the 111 million homes with TVs. In comparison, ESPN, which airs Monday night games, is available in 92 million homes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)