Marine internet ISPs?

faster68

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 20, 2004
I'm looking for the best non commercial (ie not crazy expensive) solution for internet/phone/tv for a marine application on a 42 foot boat. Does anyone have an favorites or suggestions that I should consider?

That you got no responses is not surprising, but you're not being ignored either. Your questions are considerably divergent from those regularly fielded by most members here. But the answers to a few questions might help me help you narrow down your shopping list.
1. pierside solutions? or underway solutions?
2. If underway, what maximum range from pierside?
3. If/when out of range of terrestrial solutions, what is maximum time you'd go without service?
4. does boat have gyroscopic navigation?
5. is an all-in-one solution mandatory? or will you consider independent internet/TV/phone systems?
6. what do you consider "crazy expensive"?

//greg//

Hi Greg, thanks for the reply. Answers are as follows:

1. Underway, but can be when the boat has stopped moving if that helps keep the cost down.
2. The solution is to be used in the St. Lawrence, lake Ont. etc. on a fresh water boat.
3. No specific time requirement. Why question the amount of time to go without service?
4. I believe the boat has gyroscopic nav.
5. Yes, independent solutions are ok.
6. I have a budget of about 3k but I may be able to go higher.

Thanks again Greg!
Dave

Undersatand that I am not in a position to tell you what to buy or who to buy it from. The info I'm offering is merely to help you narrow down your choices.
1. Receive-only satellite systems (TV) generally can be used underway, at anchor, pierside. That's because there's a little satellite about 22,300 miles up there beaming down coverage over a wide area. There's a lot of "slop" built in. But the reverse is not true. Two-way communications like telephone and internet require that you transmit a signal back TO the satellite. And at that distance, it's a pretty small target. When your satellite antenna isn't dead on, the connection is lost - in both directions.
2. Then there's a chance that a terrestrial solution (as opposed to satellite) might work better (and cheaper) for you
3. Because terrestrial solutions have a limited range. If you get too far away from the signal source, you'll have to wait until you get back within range to recover.
4. There are omni-directional portable satellite systems. But their speed is excruciatingly slow. It's ok for telephone, can't do TV, and data is slower than fax. Directional portable systems are faster, but aren't a viable ROTV solution. And because of what I described in #1 above, they required gyro inputs to run the auto-tracking. Gyro inputs are used by the antenna auto-track system to control servo motors that compensate for speed/direction/pitch/roll/et cetera. Simply put - and within reasonable mechanical limits - it keeps the antenna on the satellite. Effective, but not cheap.
5. Using either #4 solution, you'll still need an independent system for TV. On the better two-way satellite systems, you can phone via VoIP. That's a two-system solution. For less money, you'd could drop to a 3 system solution; satellite phone (omni), internet (auto-track), ROTV
6. So now you have an idea of how to split your $3k. It really boils down to a matter of speed (or lack of) over convenience.

Even though I'm a retired satellite professional, I'd still personally research the hell out of a terrestrial solution before sinking retirement funds into multiple satellite systems.

//greg//

You are very right Greg, internet access via Satellite is still not there yet. Do you have a terrestrial solution that you recommend for access coverage on the great lakes and St. Lawrence? I'm assuming that a combination of Satellite TV and terrestrial internet will be the best. Thanks again for your help!

Well, I'd love to help. But I'm a satellite guy that lives in Kentucky. Afraid I'm of little use when it comes to terrestrial alternatives in your neck of the woods. But don't let that stop you. I'm pretty sure you can make your own way in the world of mobile satellite TV reception. But this is still a broadband forum. So I suggest you take what you've learned so far, and start a new topic. Ask for location-specific assistance relative to wireless broadband internet availability specific to your geographic areas of concern. If your cell phone works underway, there's a good chance you can make internet work too.

//greg//

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)