Marine KVH and Dish Service and Hopper?

MrDRC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 29, 2004
Way South via the Northern Lands
Anyone have experience with marine use? We're looking at buying a boat that already has a KVH-HD7 onboard. It currently has Direct receivers but I'm told it can accommodate Dish. Was looking over the outdoor packages and saw some ridiculous pricing of 300-400 per month. The boat broker thought the current owner was paying $150/mo for DTV which seems more like it.

We have 3 Dish accounts between us and wondered about the logistics of taking one or more of our existing hoppers onboard? Is there a problem using an existing Hopper or do I just need a new account? Can we just watch DVR stuff if I don't get a new account?

It might seem like a minor thing in the overall big scheme of things but my Admiral is fussy and still wants her TV even in blue water. So it goes...

Yes looks like I need an HD11 but I'm just as interested in viewing recorded content. We could max out a couple H3's and have tons of content.

Guess I'll call Dish and try to work my way up to specialized support. Also read where you can use the RV antenna even though it's not officially marine rated. Many things "marine" are a rip off.

Yes looks like I need an HD11 but I'm just as interested in viewing recorded content. We could max out a couple H3's and have tons of content.

Guess I'll call Dish and try to work my way up to specialized support. Also read where you can use the RV antenna even though it's not officially marine rated. Many things "marine" are a rip off.
You can talk to as many folks at Dish support as you can reach, but the fact remains none of the single LNB auto-aiming dishes will work with a Hopper, and the multi-LNB auto-aiming dishes like the Winegard Trav'ler popular with RV'ers, are not capable of auto tracking as used with in-motion mobile and marine dishes. I have occasionally seen a marine Hopper installation, but they've always been only for stable dockside use, sometimes with a residential dish installed on the dock instead of the vessel. There may be something in the commercial marine market that may work with a Hopper, but you'll need to bring the big checkbook for one of those installations...

You can talk to as many folks at Dish support as you can reach, but the fact remains none of the single LNB auto-aiming dishes will work with a Hopper, and the multi-LNB auto-aiming dishes like the Winegard Trav'ler popular with RV'ers, are not capable of auto tracking as used with in-motion mobile and marine dishes. I have occasionally seen a marine Hopper installation, but they've always been only for stable dockside use, sometimes with a residential dish installed on the dock instead of the vessel. There may be something in the commercial marine market that may work with a Hopper, but you'll need to bring the big checkbook for one of those installations...
Thanks mate. Appreciate the feedback. I’d hate to go DTV but might not have a choice based on your feedback and what a few others have mentioned dockside. It’s a ridiculously expensive luxury but the Admiral is set on receiving some kind of signal and she’s not as set on Dish as I am. Guess the “expensive” part should be put in context because in the overall scheme of things it’s a pittance. Cheers...

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks mate. Appreciate the feedback. I’d hate to go DTV but might not have a choice based on your feedback and what a few others have mentioned dockside. It’s a ridiculously expensive luxury but the Admiral is set on receiving some kind of signal and she’s not as set on Dish as I am. Guess the “expensive” part should be put in context because in the overall scheme of things it’s a pittance. Cheers...
That "expensive" part can run to thousands of dollars, depending on just what services you require. You would likely need to talk to marine dealers that handle larger vessels for more details.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Crodrules once suggested to somebody that he take his hopper to wherever his traveling and connect it to tv and watch recorded shows. Could that be enough for you? I realize the shortcomings such as no live tv and hauling the equipment. Just and idea.

Looking for some info please guys...

Which Satellite positions does the Hopper and Joey system work with?

and are the recievers Ku or Ka band?

Many thanks
Let's start with some basic DISH education, Cameron. We'll start with the Hopper and Joey system. The Joey is a client to the Hopper and is not a standalone receiver. The Hopper is the receiver that looks at the satellites. The following is with regard to all DISH standalone receivers:

DISH has two arcs, Western and Eastern. The western arc consists of 110w and 119w satellites. The eastern arc consists of 61.5w and 72.7w satellites. Each arc duplicates the other. The satellites are Ku band.

If you are, indeed, actually in Spain I seriously doubt that you will be able to receive anything off of these satellites. The eastern arc footprint, that's the closest to Europe, just won't reach that far.