Maximum coax length

uhf

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Iowa
I have a tree that is just barely in the LOS for western arc if we place the dish on my roof. And that tree is growing like a weed, so even though signal is "good" today, there will be problems with it soon. Previously Dish had mounted a 1000.2 in the location, and the tree did cause an occasional glitch on breezy days. That was 2 years ago. DirecTV refused to put their dish there when I switched due to that tree. Instead they placed the dish at the far end of my property, and everything worked fine.

I just measured, and there is 135 feet of coax from the Dish, to the point it enters my basement. I've estimated that there is about 40 feet of coax from that point to where the Hopper would live if I switch to Dish. Worst case, 50 feet, with jumpers to the TV included. Total of 175 to 185 feet of coax.

A local Dish retailer just left, the tree was a major concern to him, and I agree. Plus, I'd like to avoid the roof if at all possible. I suggested mounting the 1000.2 where the DirecTV dish was. They said I would almost certainly need an amplifier, and left the decision up to me of whether to install it there. They indicated that they were almost certain that I would be unhappy having it there due to problems now and in the future. In other words, they don't want a callback :D

So my question: is 175 feet of coax from the Dish to the Hopper too much? There would need to be a tap in the line to feed a splitter for two Joeys. If it is too much, how much are these amplifiers? The retailer said $150-200. Ouch.

I think I could do Eastern Arc, but apparently Cedar Rapids, IA locals are not available over there, and my local NBC station has crappy reception OTA, even though the transmitter is only 7 miles away.

Also, meant to ask, does the Solo Node go at the Dish, so I can use one coax to the house? Then use a tap for the Joeys, correct? I think I need to call Dish directly to order.

A crummy one. It works on all the locals except the NBC which is the closest. EVERYONE has trouble with it. It's VHF channel 7 and running 1.2kw out of the transmitter. If the only way is EA, I can try a better antenna. But I see no reason that WA wouldn't work.

Also, meant to ask, does the Solo Node go at the Dish, so I can use one coax to the house? Then use a tap for the Joeys, correct? I think I need to call Dish directly to order.

Yes, you can put the Node by the dish. The Tap is created for that purpose and helps a lot in cases like yours.

I once had an install a bit complex like yours at my apartment.

I live on the 5th floor (top floor) and the dishes were above my apartment on the roof. Due to HOA BS the cables from the lnbs had to run from the roof to the FIRST FLOOR(to a box where they WANTED the switches installed)

From there my receivers cables would go up to the FITH floor again to my receivers. The install took all day but in the end everything worked. The major problem was the length of the tedious wiring job.

I ended up buying a box of 1000' RG6 and redid the wiring directly from the roof to my apartment (WAY less cable).
I did it 4 years ago and the HOA hasn't bothered me about it since its impossible to see the wires :D.

I did this just to have peace of mind without having to worry about possible signal loss.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I once had an install a bit complex like yours at my apartment.

Nice! I could shorten it up some if I could bury the coax diagonally across my yard, but my yard is terraced and there's a stone retaining wall that I'd have to come through, which seems like way too much hassle to save on what might end up being 20' of coax.

Good move. Especially if you left the old wires there as "cover."

Yup lol the old dishes are still there ;) they're covered with spider webs and debris since I cancelled my account there. Now I'm using that RG6 for my OTA antenna.

To the OP, make sure you get LOS and give it a shot. How many receivers do you plan to use?

To the OP, make sure you get LOS and give it a shot. How many receivers do you plan to use?
Called Dish directly and have an install scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. The spot where the DirecTV dish is has perfect LOS to 110, 119, and 129. I'm doing 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys.

I did a h/j install a few months ago that was about 150'+ to the home run location from the dish. Installed the duo node at the dish & used taps in the house, joeys were unusable as far as moca was concerned. Ended up running 3 new lines from dish to home run location, eliminated taps & the system worked like a top.

I did a h/j install a few months ago that was about 150'+ to the home run location from the dish. Installed the duo node at the dish & used taps in the house, joeys were unusable as far as moca was concerned. Ended up running 3 new lines from dish to home run location, eliminated taps & the system worked like a top.

Good tip, OP keep us posted on what happens tomorrow! :)

If I was installing it I would run 3 burial rated cables in pvc or flex conduit and put the node in the house. This way the node amplifies the signal before it degrades too much. Also, if you every want to get two Hoppers, you're pre wired for a duo node.

Dish cancelled my install with no notification. Good thing I took a day off work to wait for them to not come!

Last edited:
Dish cancelled my install with no notification. Good thing I took a day off work to wait for them to not come!

That sucks big time, did you find out why or how it got cancelled? I'm in Puerto Rico (Dish has WAY less presence here) and miraculously all my installs have been top notch(dish contacting contractors to come service my home)

That is really shameful and it even sucks more that you took a day off work :/

Did you get the confirmation call from the 888 number the day before? What about my appointments on dish.com?

That is a major pita.I would pm a dirt member.

I did get the automated phone call last night to confirm.

After 5pm came and went I did the online chat thing, they gave me the run around until I asked for escalation to someone that could actually do something. Ended up with executive relations team, they finally determined that the tech didn't show up for work due to "an emergency", but I should have gotten a call to cancel the appointment.

So now I'm down for Saturday. They told me they don't blame me for being upset about the situation and missing work to wait for them. They ended up offering me a reasonably generous credit to my bill for my inconvenience. Hopefully 48 hours from now I'll be watching TV!

Well it looks like you had everything on the right track. Remember these guys are humans coming to our houses so theres a possibility they might have had personal issues.

I do agree, if it was possible he should have called you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)