May switch to Dish

SteveISU

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2004
If I go for a HD only pack (gold + platinum) with locals and HBO/Starz; how many dishes are they gonna install? My wife may hate me for this, she likes Oxygen :rolleyes:, but atleast she still has her lifetime. Only channels I may miss in SD is FX and Spike.

One or two, depending on where you live. If your locals are on 61.5 and you wait until later this month and get the EA service, you'll get a 1 dish install. If your locals are on 129 and you live where the 1000.2 dish has coverage, you'll also get a 1 dish install. Otherwise, your install will likely require 2 dishes, one for 110 and 119 and another for either 61.5 or 129. If you post back where you live, the pros here can give you better info.

Last edited:
I think the Chicago HD locals are on both the 61.5 and 129 satellite. I presume they will stay on both for a while although I think they'll likely end up with Chicago in the Eastern arc. The Chicago HD locals are on a spotbeam on 61.5 and are on a CONUS transponder on 129 last I knew.. National HD programming is identical on both 61.5 and 129. They differ only in the RSNs (regional sports nets) and local station HD. The 1000.2 dish will get you all three main satellites, 110, 119, and 129. 129 is kind of weak for some, but I'm in your neck of the woods and have no problems. It's due to be replaced the end of the year. You'll need a SW exposure for the 1000.2 or a SE exposure for the Eastern Arc setup when it comes on line later this month. I'm nowhere near an expert on this stuff. Others know much more about this stuff that I. I'd be tempted to wait until the Eastern Arc gets going before ordering service.

Have you spoken to any of the local Dish reps in the area? They should know all the options, current and future. You can always go through the Dish Store as well.

Last edited:
The CSR claimed all I need to get my HD locals was 129 and that I would be getting Dish 1000.2. Another funny thing and I don't know if it depends on the location or what not, but he asked me or gave me the option of roof or pole mount. I asked if they supply the pole and what not and he said yes???

The CSR claimed all I need to get my HD locals was 129 and that I would be getting Dish 1000.2. Another funny thing and I don't know if it depends on the location or what not, but he asked me or gave me the option of roof or pole mount. I asked if they supply the pole and what not and he said yes???

Be prepared for a custom charge, depending on your installer. Most retailers will charge extra for pole mounts

When the installer calls, be sure to ask if there's a difference in cost. I prefer to not have stuff attached to my home and have always had a pole mount. I haven't ever been charged extra for the pole mount or cable burying, but I live in a downstate rural area and not the city.

I think there is still some national HD on the 110 satellite which is why you need a multi-sat dish like the 1000.2. I'd still wait to hear about the Eastern Arc service if you have a SE exposure available. The CSRs cannot talk about it since it doesn't yet exist. There may be some deals when it launches.

Two of the Three Eastern Arc satellites are now in place.

If you can check whether you can see the 61.5, 72.7 and 77 West slots, it is worth knowing. It is possible that some months/years in the future, everyone in Chicago will be moved to that slot, so they can use the 129 space for some other city.

If that happens, I'm sure that Dish will be paying for the replacement dish and repoint, but you don't want to be in a situation where you suddenly find out there is no view of 61.5 72.7 and 77 West from your home.

If waiting a month or two is no problem, then you may be able to get one of the first Eastern Arc dishes "Dish 1000.4" because they will be restricted to "new Dish HD only subscribers" at first, and that is you.

PS It varies quite a bit depending on location, but there is some possibility that you might want to be able to reach the Dish with a broom at some point in the winter. ;) Personally, I live where we get very wet "Sierra Cement" and I have to use Dish Heaters, but that seems to be unnecessary most places, but I would think that an unusual sort of storm (every couple of years ?) might cause you to want to be able to brush off the dish...

I apologize for partially hijacking your thread SteveISU, but I have your same concern. :eek:

I live in Pittsburgh, PA and am planning on switching to TurboHD Gold w/ locals from Comcast. From one of the sticky threads here, Pittsburgh HD locals are on the 118 satellite. Will I need two dishes then? My own interpretation is that I must use a Dish 1000+ with a DPP44; is this correct? If so, will Dish pay for these things if it is a professional install? Dish folk from Pittsburgh are welcome to chime in. :)

I live in Pittsburgh, PA and am planning on switching to TurboHD Gold w/ locals from Comcast. From one of the sticky threads here, Pittsburgh HD locals are on the 118 satellite. Will I need two dishes then? My own interpretation is that I must use a Dish 1000+ with a DPP44; is this correct? If so, will Dish pay for these things if it is a professional install? Dish folk from Pittsburgh are welcome to chime in. :)

All your locals are on 118 (HD) and 110 (SD), so you will indeed need a Dish 1000+ and a 4 slot switch such as the DPP44. No need for a second dish, since everything is accessible from the Dish 1000+ (110,118,119,129). Hopefully your view of the southwest sky is unobstructed.

If you are a new subscriber, Dish will pay for the installation, but check all the details on your new subscriber promotion to be sure.

To Steve - in another thread, someone claims that Eastern Arc starts August 20th, so you might consider waiting until then.

Will existing subscribers (albeit only 2 weeks in) be able to jump on eastern arc? I assume it requires a new dish? I'll be getting the 722 rec.

Only new subs will apparently be eligible for EA at first. If you're already a sub, I think you're out of luck for the initial rollout. As pointed out above, if E* drops the Chicago HD LiLs from 129 and only provides them via 61.5, E* maybe would put you on the EA on their dime. Otherwise, you'd have to buy your own equipment to do so or wait for E* to open up EA to existing subs and pay the cost to "upgrade." Wait if you can.

This is expected Aug 20th? Maybe I should push back my install date to the 23rd???? :confused:

What about Dish 500 people?

I've had a Dish 500 system set up on 110 & 119 sats since 2001. It's working fine but I wonder with all these changes I keep reading about- new sats, mpeg4, HD- how much longer will I be able to use this system? Right now I'm content with SD and have no plans to go HD but will I be forced to replace my system anyway to continue getting service?

Guess it was a good thing that the installer wasn't doing the install at your place tonight. How was the storm?

Pretty bad, lots of lightening and heavy rain. It's nights like tonight that make me wonder how long my service would have been down. lol

I've had a Dish 500 system set up on 110 & 119 sats since 2001. It's working fine but I wonder with all these changes I keep reading about- new sats, mpeg4, HD- how much longer will I be able to use this system? Right now I'm content with SD and have no plans to go HD but will I be forced to replace my system anyway to continue getting service?

110 and 119 aren't going anywhere. You should be good to go for quite a while if you're only interested in SD. Some new customers will be transitioned to mpeg4 service even for SD over the next few years.