Maybe a problem with 269 upgrade

Harry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Las Cruces, NM
I have noticed that the sound level is much lower since 269 came out. It fixed the dark video but did it trade one problem for another? When I switch between Sat and OTA, there is a huge sound level difference. Anyone else notice this?

No I see or hear no diffrence between the updates! But I dont do anything with OTA either. Good Luck hope things get working for you!

I noticed a huge difference last night with the volume. Before the upgrade, I would have the volume at 34 or 35 (on my Toshiba WS) when watching cable and when turning to Dish, I would have to go up to around 37 - 39 area (depending on channel). Last night I was watching the Cardinal game on basic cable - volume was 34 and when I switched it to the Italian Job on Showtime HD, I had to turn the volume up to 50 to hear it!

269 had the opposite affect for me. The sound is definitely louder on the HD package channels in particular, which is good, but also on the other satellite channels in general. When I switch to my OTA DTV channels I have to crack up the amp to hear them, which wasn't the case before 269.

Mine wasn't "much" lower before 269, but it is now. On my Sony, volume at 30 for DBS SD channels and at 45+ for OTA since 269. Used to be about 5 points apart.

I have noticed the same thing that Harry did, although I find some variation from station to station on how low the sound level is. Since I tend to frequently adjust my sound levels anyway, I will take this problem in exchange for the other corrections that 269 made.

I know practically nothing about computers, electronics, software, etc., once you open the case or start to dissect the software code line by line, so I am not qualified to say ... but I suspect that the variation in experience reported here confirms what others have said about some of the 811's problems being related to manufacturing inconsistencies in the underlying chips (at least on the earlier production models, if not on all of them). Some have speculated that is why the dark video fix took so long -- it was a challenge for E* to write the code in such a fashion that it would correct the trouble for the machines that have the dark picture problem without screwing up the machines that were ok.

-- Albert

Ever since I got the update, I have to do a hard reset every day if I turn my receiver off.
If I do a check switch says I have a switch problem, a soft reset only gets me to the you have a superdish pointed at page, and If I unplug my receiver, wait & plug it back it, after it boots up, I have to do a check switch again and wait for the guide to download to get it running.

Dish says they can send out someone to look at it, but since it "fixes" itself with a hard reset, it will be difficult to replicate it when a tech comes out.

Wife says we never had to go thru this with DirecTV?
aaargh !

My component output audio is much louder than my s video output audio or my 311 output. The 811 s-video and the 311 s-video sound levels are the same, whereas the 811 component output is twice as loud as the other two. The audio level is the same as before 269 though.

jerryez said:
My component output audio is much louder than my s video output audio or my 311 output. The 811 s-video and the 311 s-video sound levels are the same, whereas the 811 component output is twice as loud as the other two. The audio level is the same as before 269 though.

You get audio from your component and s-video outputs? I'm impressed.

Rlanham said:
Wife says we never had to go thru this with DirecTV?
aaargh !

My neighbor has DirecTV and he had all 6 of his boxes locking up and it took D* 3 trips at least to correct the issue. They swapped out all the smart cards on the boxes. Looking at the installation, My guess is the problem will resurface.

E* is not alone.

Did this problem start happening after the 269 upgrade? I have not seen a lot of stability issue reports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts