mb68 multi switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

eddie67

Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
las vegas nv
I'm having a problem reinstalling my mb68 multi switch. When they were installed the person installing them used spliters on all the lines in sending two line into four ports using two multi switches. Now when i install the line going to the receivers, i eithier get part of my channels or i get all the channels but lose reception if there not on the same channel. Is there a way to set up these multi switches without using splitters?

make sure the lines from the splitters go to the same ports on each switch. So, if you have a splitter we'll call A, make sure that the two outputs from that splitter goes to the same input on each switch. Do the same for all the splitters/inputs.

thanks

i've made sure all the splitters are connected in order splitter one into port 1 and 2 and splitter 2 into port 3 and 4. Still i'm not getting all the channels.

no, that's wrong. It should be splitter one into port 1 on the first switch and port 1 on the second switch. Splitter two into port 2 on both switches, etc.

What dish do you have? How many receivers are you trying to serve?

If you have a four output dish and need to connect two WB68s then you need four high frequency splitters connected to the WB68s keeping the inputs consistent as mentioned.

crossing singal

i have 5 receiver two of them have lines going direct to them and one line coming from the multi switch. I've been getting crossed signals for example i hooked up all the out then when i change the channel in one room i lose signal in the other room. is there a certain order that the out need to go in or can i connect them in any order.

I've drawn a crude diagram of how to wire this up. There should be no direct runs from the dish to any receivers. Each output of the dish should have a splitter. The output from each splitter needs to go to the same input on each switch, so if splitter A is connected to the first port of the first switch, it also needs to be connected to the first port on the second switch. You shouldn't have anything connected to the flex ports. The receivers should connect ONLY to the switch outputs. Receivers should NOT connect to the splitters or the dish directly. Also, do not split the outputs from the switch. They have to go uninterrupted to each receiver.

Attachments

• wb68.PNG
    wb68.PNG
    154.9 KB · Views: 145
I've got a noobie followup question. I see with that set-up, you can have 16 outputs from one Direct TV dish, which is nice. However, can you do better? What is the best LNB/switch configuration to achieve the following:

1. Only ONE Direct TV dish allowed
2. MAXIMUM number of outputs (32 or more if possible)
3. Cost is unimportant
4. Number of cables from Dish to switches is unimportant
5. Power is available if needed for the switches
6. (Edit) Must support all HD channels, and if possible international channels

What is the specific technical name for the LNB that would be needed, as well as detailed specifications for the switches and splitters?

Last edited:
You can use a Slimline 5 LNB, Slimline 3 LNB, or a multi-satellite (aka phase 3) 3 LNB with that setup. The LNB must have 4 outputs.

IIRC you can cascade WB68s. There are bigger switches that have 16 (or 32) outputs in one switch. There are also power inserters/polarity lockers that let you setup a whole chassis of switches. You can basically have an unlimited number of outputs, but some of the MDU folks will need to give better specifics.

Can you use four, four way splitters (high frequency and power pass of course) to hook up four 6x8 switches?

I've never seen it done before, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The 2 way power pass ones we have out of our office are 5-2300 MHz, so I would try to find something that worked with those specs.

Can you use four, four way splitters (high frequency and power pass of course) to hook up four 6x8 switches?

I think at that point you're advised to use polarity lockers + amplifiers, because each splitter is going to cause some loss of signal. You also technically could cascade the switches, but DirecTV is pretty adamant about discouraging that. It works, but I think it is flakey.

the short answer is no.

If you have access to a retail 6x16, all of this is in the instructions by zinwell. 1 Ka/Ku dish can feed one 6x16 then you can cascade 4 additional (5 total) 6x16s to have a total of 64 feeds and that is d* supported. if you really need international, its been a while since ive read that little paper but if i remember you could only use the flex port on the very last 6x16 in series.

I think at that point you're advised to use polarity lockers + amplifiers, because each splitter is going to cause some loss of signal. You also technically could cascade the switches, but DirecTV is pretty adamant about discouraging that. It works, but I think it is flakey.

the switches fail when run in series unless they are powered.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)