Michael Jordan and Mario Lemieux- A Comparison in Parallels

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
2009 marks the 25th anniversary of when two of the finest athletes to ever play their respective sports were drafted- Michael Jordan and Mario Lemieux.

I couldn't help but notice that there were a lot of similarities between both of these athletes that go beyond being drafted in the same year.

Consider:

Both players saved floundering franchises (at the time). Both the Bulls and Penguins were teams that were founded in 1967, had some flashes of brilliance in the late 1970s, but floundered in the 80s and were at rock-bottom by 1984.

Both were considered future stars-to-be (Lemieux dominated the Quebec leagues, Jordan was a star at North Carolina)

Both won their sports' respective rookie-of-the-year award in 1984-85

Both won their first MVP award in 1988 (and also won the same award in 1996)

Both also coincidentally won scoring titles in the same years- Lemieux won scoring titles in 1988, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1996, and 1997. In those same years, Michael Jordan won the NBA's scoring title.

Both athletes are considered among the most exciting, entertaining, fun-to-watch players to ever play their respective sports (Lemieux is considered hockey's best one-on-one player; Jordan is one of the NBA's great dunkers)

Both won their first-ever championships in 1991, and followed it up a year later with another one.

In 1991 and 1992, both players also were named playoff MVP.

So what do you think? These guys are very similar in terms of coinciding years, the excitement they brought to their respective sports, and their legendary status in each league.

Sabres -

That's freaky stuff - I always drew the Gretzky / Jordan line, based on where they were known amongst their sports.

That being said, if you subscribe to the "Jordan might not be the best ever" club (ie give me Wilt or Oscar or _______), it gets even closer.

Lemieux was a great player but the comparison with Jordan ends with fact that Lemieux was unrecognizable outside of Pittsburgh while Jordan is one of the biggest mega stars in the history of sports. Gretzky was the only hockey player who was well known outside of hockey circles.

Lemieux was a great player but the comparison with Jordan ends with fact that Lemieux was unrecognizable outside of Pittsburgh while Jordan is one of the biggest mega stars in the history of sports. Gretzky was the only hockey player who was well known outside of hockey circles.

Who?:D

2009 marks the 25th anniversary of when two of the finest athletes to ever play their respective sports were drafted- Michael Jordan and Mario Lemieux.

I couldn't help but notice that there were a lot of similarities between both of these athletes that go beyond being drafted in the same year.

Consider:

Both players saved floundering franchises (at the time). Both the Bulls and Penguins were teams that were founded in 1967, had some flashes of brilliance in the late 1970s, but floundered in the 80s and were at rock-bottom by 1984.

Both were considered future stars-to-be (Lemieux dominated the Quebec leagues, Jordan was a star at North Carolina)

Both won their sports' respective rookie-of-the-year award in 1984-85

Both won their first MVP award in 1988 (and also won the same award in 1996)

Both also coincidentally won scoring titles in the same years- Lemieux won scoring titles in 1988, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1996, and 1997. In those same years, Michael Jordan won the NBA's scoring title.

Both athletes are considered among the most exciting, entertaining, fun-to-watch players to ever play their respective sports (Lemieux is considered hockey's best one-on-one player; Jordan is one of the NBA's great dunkers)

Both won their first-ever championships in 1991, and followed it up a year later with another one.

In 1991 and 1992, both players also were named playoff MVP.

So what do you think? These guys are very similar in terms of coinciding years, the excitement they brought to their respective sports, and their legendary status in each league.

Wow, good find. Some amazing coincidences here. Reminds me of the really bizarre Lincoln/Kennedy stuff.

Sandra

17830005-2.jpg

You wouldn't recognize Mario if he stood in front of you ?

You wouldn't recognize Mario if he stood in front of you ?
I would, but the average American wouldn't. Ask yourself how much of a comotion would it create if Michael Jordan walked into a random store somewhere and how comotion would there be if Mario Lemieux did the same thing. Jordan would be mobbed by people as soon as he was spotted. Lemieux would be left alone.

I would, but the average American wouldn't. Ask yourself how much of a comotion would it create if Michael Jordan walked into a random store somewhere and how comotion would there be if Mario Lemieux did the same thing. Jordan would be mobbed by people as soon as he was spotted. Lemieux would be left alone.

Whether you believe it or not, Mario IS very well know around the US and World.

Hockey is a much more global game than the NBA is .... Yes, people would recognize Mario as well., not saying as easily, but he would not go unnoticed.

Whether you believe it or not, Mario IS very well know around the US and World.

Hockey is a much more global game than the NBA is .... Yes, people would recognize Mario as well., not saying as easily, but he would not go unnoticed.
Lemieux is well known in Pittsburgh, Canada and places like Sweden I suppose. Besides those places he's no more a celebrity than you or I. Jordan and most of today's NBA stars draw a big crowd no matter where they are.

I don't know that hockey can lay claim to being more global than the NBA anymore. The NBA is huge is China, and popular in most of Europe and South America. There's a lot more people in China than in Sweden or the Czech Republic.

Another freaky parallel: each player had arguably their finest offensive play in the same year: 1991.

Both were not only in their respective sports title' round in the same year, but it also came in game 2, following a game 1 loss!

[Youtube]bmnQvraMdRM[/Youtube]

[Youtube]pEdgiPEDa8w[/Youtube]

Lemieux is well known in Pittsburgh, Canada and places like Sweden I suppose. Besides those places he's no more a celebrity than you or I. Jordan and most of today's NBA stars draw a big crowd no matter where they are.

I don't know that hockey can lay claim to being more global than the NBA anymore. The NBA is huge is China, and popular in most of Europe and South America. There's a lot more people in China than in Sweden or the Czech Republic.

My point was that the NHL has had players from Europe for many many years .... Much earlier than the NBA, and the number of players from other than the US is many more in hockey.

Let's just put it this way...

If I was at the local Deli getting a corned beef sandwich and Lemieux and Jordan came in, I would be much more nervous talking to MJ than Super Mario. Both were great for their own sports, but Michael just transcends all sports all together!

If I ran into either one, I would turn into a giddy 10 year old. But having grown up in an area of the country where hockey isn't that popular, I'd say this is a pretty fair statement.

Jordan is by far the bigger and more recognizable of the two. I love hockey, but I wouldn't recognize Lemieux if he hit me with a hockey stick. Jordan's "brand" is one of the biggest across the world, along with Tiger Woods.

Jordan is by far the bigger and more recognizable of the two. I love hockey, but I wouldn't recognize Lemieux if he hit me with a hockey stick. Jordan's "brand" is one of the biggest across the world, along with Tiger Woods.

You've got a point, Jordan is and always will be more popular, but that has a lot to do with the way they were each marketed.
When Jordan was in the NBA (and it's still this way) the marketed the PLAYERS, the NHL markets the TEAMS.

Out of the Three, Tiger is the most recognizable ....
If all three walked into a bar or wherever, I would recognize all three.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)