Microsoft Admits Initial Xbox 360 Shipment has Hardware Problems!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Here you go jeepwrang3:

Microsoft cops to 360 repair comps
Software giant will repair any Xbox 360 manufactured before January 1 that has hardware problems gratis and refund repair costs already incurred; newer models not covered.
By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Posted Sep 21, 2006 6:32 pm PT
When the Xbox 360 first hit the market, reports swirled that the console was suffering an alarmingly high hardware failure rate. In response, Microsoft executives called for calm, saying a small percentage of all new electronic products are defective that the 360 was no exception. Purchasers suffering hardware failure--most often indicated by the dreaded red semicircle of death--were urged to contact Xbox customer support (1-800-4MY-XBOX) to have their consoles repaired or replaced.

Nearly 10 months later, Microsoft has now apparently admitted that the initial shipments of Xbox 360s were failing at a greater than normal rate. "As part of our standard and ongoing process of analyzing repair data, we recently noticed a higher than usual number of [360] units coming in for repair," Microsoft said in a statement sent to GameSpot. "Upon further investigation, it was further discovered that the bulk of the units were isolated to a group that was part of the initial manufacturing run of the console. Returns for repair are coming in for a variety reasons and it's a higher rate than we are satisfied with."

As a result of their findings, Microsoft has "made the decision to comp repairs for consoles manufactured before January 1, [2006] and provide refunds to the small group of customers who have already paid for repairs." As was the case last year, those wishing to get their consoles repaired or replaced should contact Xbox customer support. However, several calls made by GameSpot to the hardware replacement department at 1-800-4MY-XBOX were greeted by a busy signal.

Speaking to GameSpot, a Microsoft rep stressed that the offer to fix pre-2006 Xbox 360s for free was just that. It does not apply to any consoles made after January 1, nor does it affect the free 90-day limited manufacturer's warranty on the console or the one-year paid warranty Microsoft also offers. The news also does not pertain to replacement plans offered by third-party retailers such as Best Buy.

I purchased the 3 year warranty because of the cd/dvd drive problems on the original xbox. I was one of the lucky people this time around. I got my XBox 360 on November 22 2005, and havent had any problems other than the occasional freeze. Thanks Joe, gotta love restrictions on websites at work.

I got mine week after the lauch and started to have problems from the first time I connected it. Heck I got the semi circle of death right after I finish the initial set up. I used it for about one and half months and then took it to Sears to get my money back, when I realized that Walmart had them on stock.(Shhh I kept the HD).

After that mine has worked pretty good, only a freeze here and there.

jeepwrang3 said:
I purchased the 3 year warranty because of the cd/dvd drive problems on the original xbox. I was one of the lucky people this time around. I got my XBox 360 on November 22 2005, and havent had any problems other than the occasional freeze. Thanks Joe, gotta love restrictions on websites at work.

I too got my on 11/22 and have had only one freeze. I wonder will the still replace my unit if I call it in?

Anyone know?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts