Status
Not open for further replies.

John Corn

The Coach / Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
North Canton, Ohio.
I just got back from the movie and all I can say is wow. A wonderful portrayal of the 1980 US Olympic Team. Although, it kind of drags a bit, but only because everyone knows the outcome of the movie. Other than that, The movie could not have been done any better. I thought they did a great job with filming the hockey scenes, probably the best I've seen in any film at capturing the speed, the hitting, etc., without making it seem unrealistic and cartoonish. I was also very impressed that all the equipment was period-appropriate...we didn't see anyone using a Synergy or wearing a visor, for example.

Kurt Russell really did a great job as Herb Brooks, too.
GO SEE IT!!

Oh... I thought the miracle was that we moved to the new server and everything still works. :D

I am going to wait for this one to come to DVD. I don't see much suspense in it. But everytime I see the replay of that game on ESPN Classic Sports I still get chills.

That is one of the greatest memories I have had in my entire life. I was thirteen years old and a hockey player (I still play). What heart those guys had.

Great film, although the first 45 minutes drag. But BAM, once they get to the first international game it kicks into gear.

That moment when they beat the Russians can be traced back to the first instance when the American malaise started to lift and we got our swagger back.

1. USA wins in hockey in February 1980.
2. Reagan elected president. Bush Sr. elected VP. Iranian Hostages are released the DAY they are inaugurated (we've got a cowboy for Prez and a VP who used to head the CIA. Are you SURE you want to keep holding on to the hostages?) Jan. 1981.
3. 1982 Economy and the Stock Market starts roaring. For the next 18 years there is only a 9 month interruption in the economic expansion in 1990.

Not to get into a political argument, but it seems like that was the turning point where we went from malaise and a beaten attitude to one that matched our post World War 2 swagger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)