Mirror backfeed with SWM whole-home, I did it!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

myvet

Original poster
Apr 30, 2015
Arizona
So I have a swm 16 driving a Genie and a wireless mini and a HR24. I wanted to mirror my Genie (to send picture to all the other TV's in my home), and after research on the web they said could not be done due to the frequency overlap with whole home. So what I did last night was instead of using diplexers (since that would stop whole home), I combined and separated using SWM 4 port splitters (I did not have any 2 way Swm splitters). AND IT WORKED. I got signal to all receivers, whole home to all, internet to all, and was able to mirror the picture to ALL other TVs.

My question is: What are the downfalls of this ?? I do not want to hurt any equipment or tvs, but the Genie and HR24 seems to ignore the channel 3 picture (backfeed) and my TVs ignore the sat feed (I used a standard cheap splitter to send channel 3 to other TVs, and that should take out any electical current)

So, does anyone see where this will cause a major issue(s), or can I tell friends who want this setup how to do it?

Thank you for your help!!!!!!!!

I can not seem to get a picture attached, so I will try to type it in:

<SWM16> -------<SWM Splitter> ----------Single Cable Run-------------<SWM Splitter> -----------------{Genie Input } -------<TV>
| |------<Modulator>---{Genie output}
|
<Splitter> ----------TV
|-----------------TV
|-----------------TV

Hope this helps. Basically, I replaced the 2 diplexers with SWM Splitters and was able to get whole home, on-demand, etc all working!

Thanks

i have no idea what freq channel 3 uses, but it may interfere with the genies tuners or the mini's picture. since the split picture is not 1080i anyway, im not sure i would have bothered with such a setup. but thats me.

you hit the nail on the head! Channel 3 is 61.25 MHz. DECA is on the 550 to 650 MHz range. Caution should be taken not to disturb the FSK signal at 2.3
Channel 4 should also be available as well then as it was always use 3 or 4 for those type of things.

You couldn't use an old VCR to modulate ch 3/4 out right? I remember back in the day of the 60 channel analog cable system, if the VCR was on, it broadcasted at its switched channel (either 3 or 4 depending on the switch on the back), but everything else way up into the mid 40's was very poor / static reception. Its like they used cheap modulators that did modulate, but threw out a crap ton of noise out the entire band. I think professional rack mount style modulators are more 'focused' and have internal notch filtering to do it right.

You couldn't use an old VCR to modulate ch 3/4 out right? I remember back in the day of the 60 channel analog cable system, if the VCR was on, it broadcasted at its switched channel (either 3 or 4 depending on the switch on the back), but everything else way up into the mid 40's was very poor / static reception. Its like they used cheap modulators that did modulate, but threw out a crap ton of noise out the entire band. I think professional rack mount style modulators are more 'focused' and have internal notch filtering to do it right.

Hello
I have recently upgraded my DirecTv boxes to HD and got the main HD box along with 3 mini genie boxes. Before I upgraded I had my children boxes mirrored together. Now I tried to connect my children TV's together and I cannot seem to figure it out.
One of my children's room had a mini genie; this TV only has RCA jacks and a place to put the cable wire from the wall. The other kids room is not connected anyone; this TV is an SD TV with only a place for a cable wire.
I have purchased a splitter from DirecTv and I purchased a HDMI converter from Amazon. Can you please help me to figure how to mirror my kids TV's together.
The new HD boxes only have an coaxial input, HDMI input and a 10 Pin to Composite input.

Hello
I have recently upgraded my DirecTv boxes to HD and got the main HD box along with 3 mini genie boxes. Before I upgraded I had my children boxes mirrored together. Now I tried to connect my children TV's together and I cannot seem to figure it out.
One of my children's room had a mini genie; this TV only has RCA jacks and a place to put the cable wire from the wall. The other kids room is not connected anyone; this TV is an SD TV with only a place for a cable wire.
I have purchased a splitter from DirecTv and I purchased a HDMI converter from Amazon. Can you please help me to figure how to mirror my kids TV's together.
The new HD boxes only have an coaxial input, HDMI input and a 10 Pin to Composite input.

Yes, you can use a vcr as a modulator.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts