Missing Program Guide information

leerlap

Original poster
Apr 15, 2007
Hi - I have dishnetwork with a VIP622 DVR and HD and locals programming. I just installed an antenna in my attic to pull in the locals in HD (although I believe only NBC here locally is broadcasting in HD - the others seem to be broadcasting digitally). I am able to pull the channels in, but only half of them show programming guide information. I get information for NBC, PBS and CW, but not ABC, CBS, or Fox. As a way of verifiying that the EPG was being broadcast by the networks, I plugged the antenna in cable directly into my TV (a Pioneer plasma). All programming guide information was available if I bypassed dish. I've read some posts here and this seems to be a relatively common problem, but I haven't read any solutions. Is there anything I can do?? Thanks for any advice.

What market are you in? If you just installed, sometimes it takes several hours to get all of your guide information on OTA channels. Dish does not use the information being broadcast OTA, instead it uses information from the SD equivalents. Do you get these same channels via satellite? If so they should come in soon.
Note: you will probably not get guide information for any of the sub-channels (-02, -03 etc.).

I'm in central virginia (charlottesville). It's actually been about a week since I put up the antenna. I do get the locals through dish (i'm assuming the SD equivalents? it's the same guide information). I thought I read somewhere that dish only provides the guide information if they have the local HD equivalents (not SD?) - and perhaps since these channels don't yet send a HD signal, maybe that's why there isn't any guide information? Sure hope there's just something I'm doing wrong, as it makes having the antenna almost useless (can't nicely record from the OTA channels without guide info - I understand I can set manual timers, but then I don't know what the programs are when recorded - and not convenient to set the recorder). Thanks again.

No, it isn't just for the channels that they have in HD. Even the 942 gets channel guide info for OTA HD locals. I'm not familar with the Charlottesville DMA, perhaps someone else in that area can chime in with what they are receiving.

Still problematic

Hi all - wanted to see if there were any other thoughts on what my problem might be here as I'm still having difficulties. I did do a quick test by plugging the antenna cable directly to my tv and doing a scan. All EPG information came in great (including the guide info that wasn't coming up through dish network). It certainly seems to be something with Dish, but I have no idea what or how to fix it - and I really want to fix it if I can. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Dish does not get the guide info from the OTA antenna. It is downloaded from the satellite. Do you subscribe to locals?

I do - and all the local guide information is there for the channels that come through DISH - but only for half of the (same) locals via the antenna - for those same channels coming in via the antenna, it just says 'digital service.' Other thoughts??

You have to subscribe to locals from DiSH to get the local OTA Guide data, but they do not provide local OTA data for more then 20% of all local OTA channels. So, don't expect yours.

as i said, i have the same setup as OP. i DO subscribe to local channels. in charlottesville, ABC, Fox, and CBS started broadcasting OTA digitally in january. these are the channels with no EPG data. NBC and PBS have been OTA for years, and these are the channels WITH EPG data.

what i'm trying to determine is when, how, and if Dish will provide EPG for the new digital OTA channels. i've called them a few times and they act like i'm speaking a foreign language.

if i use your "20%" heuristic, we should only have problems with 1 of the 5 channels, not 3 of 5. if you have any other insights other than "don't expect yours," that would be helpful.

"They say they did not and do not provide the data."

Are you talking specifically about Fox, ABC, and NBC in Charlottesville? Did you speak with someone at Dish? Any chance they will provide the data in the future?

THat was in reference to the more than 1000 subchannels data they had up a while back.

If the programming on those 3 channels is the same as the analog versions, they may actually get it to function in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)