Mixed Bag on Charlie Chat

Is it too little and/or too late? Charlie is grinning ear to ear with the 922 coming June 1 and is banking on customers staying as well as customers jumping on board. Unfortunately, as we know, there will be the normal 6 months of new hardware/software problems thus pissing more people off. He is proving to not know anything anymore about his company, his customers wants and needs, and how to balance channel tiers.

Is it too little and/or too late? Charlie is grinning ear to ear with the 922 coming June 1 and is banking on customers staying as well as customers jumping on board. Unfortunately, as we know, there will be the normal 6 months of new hardware/software problems thus pissing more people off. He is proving to not know anything anymore about his company, his customers wants and needs, and how to balance channel tiers.
I love the sound of the 922, but I doubt it will make a dent on the subscriber numbers. The 922 is basically a 622/722 with a few added "geek features" that will only appeal to a small percentage. The 622/722 has been the Top HD DVR on the market for almost three years, but people have been bailing on Dish Network in increasing numbers for the past year come April. Heck, I still have three 622 sitting in the closet. I love 'em, but there is no way I am dumping FiOS for Dish Network in their present state...even if the 922 should appear this year. To be honest, if Verizon were to shutdown their service tomorrow, I would probably sign up with DirecTV because they offer a better overall programming value for my needs, and their HD PQ is superior to Dish Network, which is a big consideration for my pocketbook.

Again, while I love the 622, 722 and the idea behind the 922...its release alone won't do much to stop Dish Network's bleeding of subscribers.

Scott, this was probably your best satellite dish column.

The more we see of dish the more we realize that there is a hidden motive behind every decision. This charlie chat was a perfect example. I'd bet my bottom dollar that the only reason dish announced new national hd was to offset the horrible recent earnings report. Remember when dish lost out on MLB extra innings negotiations? Within a few weeks dish launched several HD RSNs. Not a coincidence in my book. It's so insulting when dish says one thing when they clearly mean another (i.e. we're fighting to keep your monthly bills down). I mean, how stupid do they think we are?

I like to think I understand that business is business and a company must do what is necessary to stay profitable. But I also like to think that giving the customer what they want can be profitable. How? If customers were getting what they want they wouldn't be leaving in droves!!

The most discouraging thing is I don't think dish will ever get it. In charlie's mind the road to success is paved with ruthless negotiation tactics, lawsuits and loopholes.

Scott, this was probably your best satellite dish column.

The more we see of dish the more we realize that there is a hidden motive behind every decision. This charlie chat was a perfect example. I'd bet my bottom dollar that the only reason dish announced new national hd was to offset the horrible recent earnings report. Remember when dish lost out on MLB extra innings negotiations? Within a few weeks dish launched several HD RSNs. Not a coincidence in my book. It's so insulting when dish says one thing when they clearly mean another (i.e. we're fighting to keep your monthly bills down). I mean, how stupid do they think we are?

I like to think I understand that business is business and a company must do what is necessary to stay profitable. But I also like to think that giving the customer what they want can be profitable. How? If customers were getting what they want they wouldn't be leaving in droves!!

The most discouraging thing is I don't think dish will ever get it. In charlie's mind the road to success is paved with ruthless negotiation tactics, lawsuits and loopholes.

:up:up

Charlie won't add the MLB Network and MLB EI because "he would have to add the channel to all Dish’s packages and he didn’t want to burden all customers by adding this channel"? I don't see DirecTV or even cable customers complaining about being burdened by the addition of the MLB network. The only burden I see with DISH customers is the fact that they are locked out of receiving the MLB Network and MLB EI. This is the whole reason I left and never will go back.

Even Charlie himself said that the 922 is not for everybody. So I don't know how the 922 will help them if it's aimed to a small group of customers (Satellite geeks). :)

Well, maybe I'm paying a little more and my DVRs are nothing more than retarded TiVos, but all I know is that I'll be watching the rest of Damages and all of Rescue Me in HD, as well as any games that MLB Network feels like throwing my way (no pun intended) in HD.

I would like to see D* expand their DMA range, especially in the HD market. I'd love to be able to get NY based locals in HD and enjoy some random perks, like, watching ABC HD in something that doesn't look like feces smeared on my television, or even being able to watch network news in HD.

It will be interesting to see if it is really HD that customers want. Dish is adding 11 channels this month, and if they really have 19 more to go over the next few months (based on uplinks) they will truly have the most (not counting small pockets of the US that have FIOS). 150 DMAs in HD, and the 922 to allow 2 HD TVs/box they will have it all. Then we will see if sub numbers stablize. But, I have a feeling that subs are not leaving because of HD. It is advertizing and pricing. I never see Dish ads on TV, I see DIRECTV all the time...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)