MLB/NFL packages.. any chance they might come back?

colt45allstar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Obviously they aren't going to be back anytime soon, but when upgrading to HD programming I pitted two things against one another:

My love for sports (Baseball being my favorite by far.. football a distant second)
vs
My love for Horror... and the fact that I watched Monsters HD at my sisters house from time to time and loved it.

In the end Monsters won out, at least in part because I was already a Dish subscriber.

Then lo and behold within a day or two of subscribing.. and after being told a two year contract was required to sign up... they got rid of Monsters, despite my making a point to mention it was my main motivation for sticking with Dish. ( to be fair I realize the CSR likely didn't even know they were getting rid of the channel.. just bad timing to say the very least)

Now I'm left with none of the above. No HD horror channel.. and no Oakland A's and Chicago Bears fix.

From looking at the channel lineups, it seems a case can be made that Dish Network is nothing more than Direct TV lite now. Direct offers most everything Dish offers, plus the better sports packages.

Getting either one of these sports packages back would go a long way toward changing that, though I fear it's not ever going to happen and that in hindsight I simply made the wrong decision to stick with Dish Network.

Would the thought that neither package is likely to ever come back be a fair assessment? Anyone more knowledgeable than myself, think one or the other might be back at some point?!? The MLB Extra Innings is what I really miss.

I guess that means it was always exclusive, sorry had no idea.

Just thought it had been for the last few years.. much like the baseball.

Growing up my dad had Direct TV, so I guess I just assumed that Dish would've had it at some point as well.

correct. and if the NFL doesn't fix their current situation between players and owners unions sat providers might not want the nfl package.

I would think NFL wouldn't want to be exclusive to D* after 2010. Why Would they? If they have the option to pick up every provider? D* wants this . I don't because by 2011 ST will be $500. I don't see any Exclusive deals with D* past 2010. There's too much money to be made if it was available to everyone. ST is in about 2 Million peoples homes Now. With only 1 Provider offering it.! D* was smart when they decided to pick up Sunday Ticket. I'll give them that!

I agree Hemi and I thought it would happen the last time but it didn't, so I hope they don't go exclusive after the contract expires.

I think will stay exclusive with D* because D* will pay for it to be exclusive just like they tried to do with baseball until congress stepped in

I agree Hemi and I thought it would happen the last time but it didn't, so I hope they don't go exclusive after the contract expires.
I hope they don't either, Why should a Professional Sports package be exclusive to any one provider? People should be able to have any Pro sports package without being forced to one provider. There would be a lot more subscribers. And I think NFL is thinking this as well. D* has been using this as a tool for years ,and the only ones its is hurting is D* customers with Rising ST costs.

I hope they don't either, Why should a Professional Sports package be exclusive to any one provider? People should be able to have any Pro sports package without being forced to one provider. There would be a lot more subscribers. And I think NFL is thinking this as well. D* has been using this as a tool for years ,and the only ones its is hurting is D* customers with Rising ST costs.

It has to do with $$$$, Direct pays them a lot more to be exclusive than they could make from selling at a lower price to all providers.

It has to do with $$$$, Direct pays them a lot more to be exclusive than they could make from selling at a lower price to all providers.
Then D* must be going broke! Because 2 million times about $300 bucks for some who have Superfan and some that don't. $60,000,000 Nice check But if they had 4 million paying $150 it would be the same amount. With about 75 Million TV customers, IF 7 million had NFL for $150, Would be over a Billion dollars.

Then D* must be going broke! Because 2 million times about $300 bucks for some who have Superfan and some that don't. $60,000,000 Nice check But if they had 4 million paying $150 it would be the same amount. With about 75 Million TV customers, IF 7 million had NFL for $150, Would be over a Billion dollars.

And if 1 person had it for a Billion dollars, it would be a billion dollars :)

Blogs are full of folks believing that this will be the last exclusive for D* with ST. Nobody really knows until the new contract is signed.

If it were me, choosing between "Monsters-HD" and Sports Programming, I would have gone with D* and Netflix.

Obviously they aren't going to be back anytime soon, but when upgrading to HD programming I pitted two things against one another:

My love for sports (Baseball being my favorite by far.. football a distant second)
vs
My love for Horror... and the fact that I watched Monsters HD at my sisters house from time to time and loved it.

In the end Monsters won out, at least in part because I was already a Dish subscriber.

Then lo and behold within a day or two of subscribing.. and after being told a two year contract was required to sign up... they got rid of Monsters, despite my making a point to mention it was my main motivation for sticking with Dish. ( to be fair I realize the CSR likely didn't even know they were getting rid of the channel.. just bad timing to say the very least)

Now I'm left with none of the above. No HD horror channel.. and no Oakland A's and Chicago Bears fix.

From looking at the channel lineups, it seems a case can be made that Dish Network is nothing more than Direct TV lite now. Direct offers most everything Dish offers, plus the better sports packages.

Getting either one of these sports packages back would go a long way toward changing that, though I fear it's not ever going to happen and that in hindsight I simply made the wrong decision to stick with Dish Network.

Would the thought that neither package is likely to ever come back be a fair assessment? Anyone more knowledgeable than myself, think one or the other might be back at some point?!? The MLB Extra Innings is what I really miss.
Dish never had the NFL ST.....On MLB EI......only way is to speculate

I think the fact that both the NFL and MLB expect a large $$$$ premium combined with the fact that Charlie has zero interest to pay one, will keep them off the service.

At this point, Charlie knows that most NFL and MLB fans have already churned their way to D*, and there is not a compelling way for him to get them back.

He would rather go after those niches where he can buy on the cheap and score smaller but more loyal crowds (like international soccer, etc....)

Charlie has a few sports, but not the two crown jewels of sports (three if you count Nascar and all the extras D* offers their enthusiasts). I don't see any way that will change anytime soon.

Hemi 6.1 said:
Just over 2 million multiplied by $300 is $600 million. We haven't even gotten into the sports bars, where the fees are rather high. DirecTV is paying $700 million a year for Sunday Ticket.

If seven million subscribers had Sunday Ticket, though, the fees from FOX and CBS would be lowered. So any monetary gains from Sunday Ticket would be diminshed elsewhere.

So if those seven million subscribers are over more than one carrier, exclusive pricing does not apply, and the NFL would have to share some of the take between providers (like MLB, NHL and NBA do).

Just over 2 million multiplied by $300 is $600 million. We haven't even gotten into the sports bars, where the fees are rather high. DirecTV is paying $700 million a year for Sunday Ticket.

If seven million subscribers had Sunday Ticket, though, the fees from FOX and CBS would be lowered. So any monetary gains from Sunday Ticket would be diminshed elsewhere.

So if those seven million subscribers are over more than one carrier, exclusive pricing does not apply, and the NFL would have to share some of the take between providers (like MLB, NHL and NBA do).

Are 2 million subscribing to Sunday Ticket? Sounds high.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)