More HD Channels On Expressvu!

DCXFORDGM

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
New CBCHD is on , has ben on for a few days now but today the new GLOBALHD
as shown up in the guide, I believe that brings VU's total to 26HD channels.

Attachments

• DSC00601.JPG
    DSC00601.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 353
damn...that 30" HDTV (w/ built in tuner) for $649 at Wal-mart looks better and better... if only I could convince my wife

Let's see. DiscoveryHD and TSNHD have more HD in their names than they show. They are crap. TMN and MC a couple shows a day in HD. Global HD and CTV HD pretty much show few HD programmes from US networks. Out of those 26 HD channels the only thing worth watching are US networks and Rogers Sportsnet HD when there is baseball. You could may be fill up 5 channels if you combined the all.

I do not mean to rant here, but I am tired of people praising BEV HD and counting the HD channels when in fact there is very little HD on them. The only channels that have HD on them all the time is HDPPV, and they repeat the few movies they have for months.

BTW, I have BEV so I am speaking from experience.

The thing is, Dish and Directv will NOT give you the U.S. networks in HD if you're not in an O&O market. Unlikely to be in an O&O market for all 4 unless you live in NY or LA.
BEV will give you all 4 networks in HD for both coasts.
For me, that would be the deal maker, could care less about ESPN/TSN in HD

Derwin0 said:
The thing is, Dish and Directv will NOT give you the U.S. networks in HD if you're not in an O&O market. Unlikely to be in an O&O market for all 4 unless you live in NY or LA.
BEV will give you all 4 networks in HD for both coasts.
For me, that would be the deal maker, could care less about ESPN/TSN in HD

That is what I said. The only HD channels worth watching on BEV are US networks.

Vu has more then 26HD content channels now but you are correct with DiscoveryHD and TSNHD but all the other channels are very rich in HD content. Voom had this problem way before HD production is where it is now and they produced they own and still are, I think that is a good idea. Vu does show what is out there in HD and more is coming all the time. When I watch tv at night I don't leave the 800's at all, there is enough HD content to watch and alot upconverted shows to watch.

DCXFORDGM said:
Vu has more then 26HD content channels now but you are correct with DiscoveryHD and TSNHD but all the other channels are very rich in HD content. Voom had this problem way before HD production is where it is now and they produced they own and still are, I think that is a good idea. Vu does show what is out there in HD and more is coming all the time. When I watch tv at night I don't leave the 800's at all, there is enough HD content to watch and alot upconverted shows to watch.

I am glad that you like BEV HD content, but the fact remains that besides US networks there is really not much HD. HDPPV has few movies that they repeat for months. CTV and Global only show US networks programs with their annoying logos. TMN amd MC have couple hours of HD a day. HBO alone shows more HD than all Canadian HD channels.

Please do not even compare it to VOOM. VOOM has 100 times more HD than BEV. Besides their exclusive channels they also have HBOHD, CinemaxHD, StarzHD, EncoreHD and PlayboyHD. The only thing missing is the networks but that is a separate issue that affects all US DBS providers.

I mean BEV Canadian originated HD channels are so pitiful, that during summer TSNHD showed Euro2004 in SD even though HD was available to them.

CKNA said:
Please do not even compare it to VOOM. VOOM has 100 times more HD than BEV. Besides their exclusive channels they also have HBOHD, CinemaxHD, StarzHD, EncoreHD and PlayboyHD. The only thing missing is the networks but that is a separate issue that affects all US DBS providers.

Since EVu can't sell HBO, Starz and Encore at all, this is a moot point :)