Most HD channels AWOL and ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Z300M

Jun 11, 2010
MidWest
We have two HR21 boxes. The following problems occur on both boxes:

1. Most of our HD channels have gone AWOL, but we still have some of the older ones, e.g., 501. 202 and 504 give the "searching for signal" message.

2. Some channels show the wrong programing. E.g., 511 (HBOL) actually shows Sleuth programing in English. One of the other Spanish-language channels shows History International in English.

When I try to select OTA channels via the AM21 (it's only on one of the boxes), it says it can't find the tuner.

Satellite Setup shows red Xs for Sat. 103.

The test channels report "searching for signal" for Sat 103, "correct HD dish setup" for Sat. 99, and blank screen for Sats. 110 and 119.

What would cause *all* of these errors?

I assume that I'll need a service call, but what is the problem likely to be and how much is it likely to cost to rectify? We do *not* have a service contract.

Z300M

Jun 11, 2010
MidWest
Sounds like your dish is out of alignment, or you have a switch that has gone bad.

I can see that causing the first two problems, but I can't see how it could cause 511 to show "Sleuth" (308?) or what it has to do with the missing OTA signals -- more accurately, the "missing" OTA tuner.

Joe The Dragon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 19, 2008
I can see that causing the first two problems, but I can't see how it could cause 511 to show "Sleuth" (308?) or what it has to do with the missing OTA signals -- more accurately, the "missing" OTA tuner.
Bad guide data? I think 2 reboots in 30 min will flush it.

Z300M

Jun 11, 2010
MidWest
Bad guide data? I think 2 reboots in 30 min will flush it.

It's not the guide information that's wrong. The guide info. is correct (e.g., for 511 typically shows the same title and description -- in Spanish -- as the program on 501), but the program that shows when I hit "select" is wrong -- English-language programing with the "Sleuth" logo in the lower right corner.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Like Joe said, try rebooting it, use then menus, not the red button.

Menu-Set Up- System Set Up- Reset-Restart Recvr.- dash.

TigerpounceTN

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 22, 2009
Knoxville, TN
It's not the guide information that's wrong. The guide info. is correct (e.g., for 511 typically shows the same title and description -- in Spanish -- as the program on 501), but the program that shows when I hit "select" is wrong -- English-language programing with the "Sleuth" logo in the lower right corner.

Still, the guide could be corrupted and pointing to the wrong channel even if it appears correct.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---

It could be reading the same transponder frequency from a different bird thinking its on the right bird and sluth happens to have the same SID information in the system tables as the other HD channel.

Remember D* uses a diffrent system than DVB, so this could very well be happening as each bird has its own independent tables. If the switch thinks its on the right bird even though it isnt, its gonna display what it thinks is right.

Z300M

Jun 11, 2010
MidWest
Like Joe said, try rebooting it, use then menus, not the red button.

Menu-Set Up- System Set Up- Reset-Restart Recvr.- dash.

Did that. No change. And, for another example: if I select Channel 401 (a Spanish-language channel), I get MTV (331).

MikeinBaja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 9, 2008
San Diego area (CA)
I'd try a cold restart - completely unplug the receiver from power - wait about 2 minutes - plug it back in and go through the whole start up routine.

Sometimes the, for lack of a better term, the cache gets corrupted and this will clear it.

Simple to do and could solve your issue. Otherwise, I'd look at switch/LNB/alignment.

ebms1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 15, 2007
We have two HR21 boxes. The following problems occur on both boxes:

1. Most of our HD channels have gone AWOL, but we still have some of the older ones, e.g., 501. 202 and 504 give the "searching for signal" message.

2. Some channels show the wrong programing. E.g., 511 (HBOL) actually shows Sleuth programing in English. One of the other Spanish-language channels shows History International in English.

When I try to select OTA channels via the AM21 (it's only on one of the boxes), it says it can't find the tuner.

Satellite Setup shows red Xs for Sat. 103.

The test channels report "searching for signal" for Sat 103, "correct HD dish setup" for Sat. 99, and blank screen for Sats. 110 and 119.

What would cause *all* of these errors?

I assume that I'll need a service call, but what is the problem likely to be and how much is it likely to cost to rectify? We do *not* have a service contract.

bad bbc might be another but not likley on 2 sets....

most likely repoint .... however ... if you have a non swm ... you might check the connections from the lnb ... if one cable is bad you might get a missing sat or polarity... which would give you wrong & missing program...

Z300M

Jun 11, 2010
MidWest
bad bbc might be another but not likley on 2 sets....

most likely repoint .... however ... if you have a non swm ... you might check the connections from the lnb ... if one cable is bad you might get a missing sat or polarity... which would give you wrong & missing program...

Yes, it's a non-SWM. I checked the connections, and they did seem a little loose, but tightening them did not fix the problem. I tried adjusting the aim of the dish but could not improve the signal levels. Still zero on all the 103 transponders.

How much is a service call and a replacement LNB likely to cost? No service contract here.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Yes, it's a non-SWM. I checked the connections, and they did seem a little loose, but tightening them did not fix the problem. I tried adjusting the aim of the dish but could not improve the signal levels. Still zero on all the 103 transponders.

How much is a service call and a replacement LNB likely to cost? No service contract here.

$ 50 for a service call, if you don't have the Protection plan.
Replacing the LNB if thats the problem, would probably be in that $ 50.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)