Most Popular at CES

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
Just watched the San Francisco news report on CES.

They said the hot thing swarmed by the crowds was the refrigerator with the glass panel displaying the intergrated shaking cooler for your coke, beer, or wine.

two cans cooled in 5 minutes or 8 minutes for a bottle of wine with no foaming.

My brother-in-law that bought stock in Pigs Eye Beer would kill to have one.

so it's the worst CES ever? i should have known, SPIKE tv had 4 hours of coverage tues. and it was terrible.

dewzan said:
so it's the worst CES ever? i should have known, SPIKE tv had 4 hours of coverage tues. and it was terrible.

G4's coverage last year was a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm happy with the Dish announcements, and the OLED TV announcements.

Honestly besides the DISH announcement there hasn't really been anything exciting that I saw on the show floor. In fact I think this years CES was kind of disappointing.

We saw a bunch of new TV models... yippie.

4K is a long way away the displays I saw you couldnt tell a difference in PQ until you were standing up close to it.

I can't believe the lack of appreciation for the OLED announcements. After so many slow years of development, it looks like it's hitting the big time. Five years from now, we may be seeing the last of PDP, and the decline of LCD, especially if the DuPont process works out. MAJOR moment in the advance of video displays.

Navy- Scott needs an eye exam. :D

The contrast between pitch black and bright white with intense colors on OLED is quite impressive. in 3D the popouts were very solid all the way out to 100% of distance to your eyes. I saw the 55" 3D OLED from LG.

4K TV's were just about everywhere and There was even an 8K display that was just stunning. The thing with 4K is there is very little actual 4K source material so what was being demoed was Full HD upconvert. Even this on some side by side displays the 4K stood out as very sharp focused details while the traditional HD set was a bit fuzzy and washed out.

This is speculation, but rumor has Apple using the 55" LG OLED display for their iTV project. Apple fans would be more willing to pay more for such a device that would differentiate it from "mundane" LCD TVs. Plus, the lighter panel weight makes it easier to take it home from the Apple Store.

[/Pure Rumor]

yes they do but hate to see price of them :D:rolleyes: :facepalm:)

There is a simple solution to that problem... Wait for 1-2 years and they will be the main technology and everyone will be using it and the prices will be reasonable. Recall last year only Sony showed a 15" panel. a year later many companies had them and these are 55", 3D and LG will sell them. Next year- they will sell for under $1000.

The most exciting TV technology I saw was the 46" glasses free different technology that I could even shoot with a 3D camcorder and it had depth. Ultra-D™ Ultra-D - Beyond 3D : from Stream TV Networks

Another company had a box that you sit a regular 2D projector on and shine the projection through a special panel onto a flat screen and you get passive glasses 3D. This product will begin selling in the states soon. It is selling now in Korea for $1500 USD. VOLFONI 3D Technology

yes they do but hate to see price of them :D:rolleyes: :facepalm:)

There is a simple solution to that problem... Wait for 1-2 years and they will be the main technology and everyone will be using it and the prices will be reasonable. Recall last year only Sony showed a 15" panel. a year later many companies had them and these are 55", 3D and LG will sell them. Next year- they will sell for under $1000.

I've been an avid follower of OLED developments, mostly at AVS. The price will be astonishing the first year or two, but should drop fast. $1,000? Maybe not that fast. ;)

Anyway, certain reports are circulating that since they have developed ways of cheaply renovating existing LCD fabs to produce these panels, and certain other developments, the actual cost of production is rather low. First out the door will be What The Market Will Bear, not really based on production costs. Of course, there's billions in developmental costs to recover.

If the DuPont process works out, or perhaps I should say WHEN the DuPont process (similar to ink jet) works out, production costs will drop dramatically, again.

LG is using the Kodak developed process, white OLEDs with color filters (WOLED). This may be a bit more complicated, but is entirely free of unequal color element aging. Samsung is using the more "pure" approach, with discrete RGB elements, which I think will be the long term approach. Panasonic claims they are also in the game. Sony is essentially out of the consumer OLED TV market, but has a dandy professional $erie$ monitor. I look forward to owning an OLED TV one day, but not from the first 2 or 3 years of production. It would be a step down in size, though, from my 61" HDTV. Maybe 5 years from now they'll have larger ones out, at a price I can afford.

Once these 55" OLEDs hit the American market, it's expected that all the LCD fab owners will start making plans to convert over in the coming years. The licenses will fly! It is no longer seriously debated: For whatever reasons, OLED production is now quite affordable, and has demonstrably better PQ. Some say better than CRT, even. Certainly, flat panels don't have the CRT geometry problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)