Motorized Primestar question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glater

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 14, 2005
I've taken my ku motorized Fortec 80cm dish off of the chimney and am going to give it and one of my coolsat 5000's to my nephew. He's only interesting in Thailand tv. There's 6 channels of it on 97w, so it'll be a fixed system. He works for a chip processor company and talks daily to folks over there and is in the process of learning the language. I now have my 10ft bud working and am tracking 55.5w to 137w on it (very happy with it and my recently purchased Visionsat iv200 and my new Gbox) and other than digging a trench for the cables, and dressing it up a little, I'm just about finished with it. I want to keep ku on a smaller dish, So now I'm working on motorizing my 84e primestar with a sg2100 motor that has a 42mm tube and will be mounted on a pole close to the big dish. I've read a lot of threads and have found the reading helpful. Some of you used pvc inserts and one that I remember from a while back, used radiator hose for a insert. I'm not worried about ruining the motor with the weight of the primestar, so that won't be a issue and for now I'm planning using the stock mount. I've inverted the mount on the dish and have tried pvc for inserts, but still had too much play. Today I picked up a radiator hose and tried it. But it gives too much and has too much spring to it. Did you folks that made this work have the larger tube? Should I order a 50mm tube (a hair less than 2 inch diameter) or should the 42mm tube work? Open for ideas!

Glater I ran into the same thing with the DG380 motor I bought. Nothing I tried, using the 84e mount, would tighten it up enough to make it stay in one place on the tube. If I moved it west awhile and back, it would lose tracking , due to wiggling on the tube. This motor comes with a big tube, but not big enough to hold onto the 84'e inverted mount. Finally got smart and made my own mount, but decided to put the 84e back together and use a round dish ( .90 primestar) . If you can't find the thread where I did it back about 2months ago, let me know and I'll try to post the pictures again. Mine's held strong with daily use, the way I fashioned it, and I think it'd prob hold a 2m dish, if I had one, hehe.

Thanks, I'll search for your thread in the morning. Everyone made it seem so easy. Guess I don't have what it takes. I'd like to get it going, if not I'll probably use it as a fixed dish.

Here is what I did with my 90CM ChannelMaster, which has a very similar mount as your 84E. I used the 42mm tube. I had tried to mount to the motor with the original mount upside down on a 50mm tube, but I wasn't up to speed yet on getting motorized and the weather just got to cold last fall. Got this hooked up a few weeks back and it works GREAT!

Attachments

• 2009_0505DishMount1.JPG
    2009_0505DishMount1.JPG
    383.3 KB · Views: 284
  • 2009_0505DishMount3.JPG
    2009_0505DishMount3.JPG
    640.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 2009_0505DishMount2.JPG
    2009_0505DishMount2.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 309
That's agood job Larobpra , would've done that too but I was afraid of drilling a hole through the tube on my new motor.

Turbosat, I found your thread. Your setup looks workable for the 84e also. I know that you set the motor angle for your latitude. Was it much trouble to get the dish elevation set with the clamps to track the arc? Nice setup!
Larobpra, that's a cool setup up too. I was hoping not to do too much modification, I'm not to good at improvising. But you guys make it look easy. The threaded rod for the dish elevation looks good.
With the 84e mount inverted, there's plenty of adjustment left for dish elevation. Was hoping to be able to get the slop out using what I have, but might end up trying to build something like you guys have. With all the reading I've done about motorized primestars, I hadn't seen either of your setups. I'll save the pictures from both setups. Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ku Dish upgrade and change LNBs

DG-380 elevation setting clarification

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts