Moved recording from 722 to HD, can I get them on my Hopper?

toddjb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Germantown, MD
Somewhere here or in tech support I had read that before I upgrade to the Hopper I can transfer my valued recordings from my 722s to an external hard drive. I did that. I tested them on both 722s and everything worked fine.

Tech came last week, took away my 722s, dropped in a couple Hoppers! I plugged in the hard drive and the Hopper told me it would have to reformat the drive and erase all the data. /insert head scratch/

Am I SOL or is there a way to get my Hoppers to see these 722 recordings?

The 722 had already formatted the drive for me before it would use it.

Thanks!

Do not let it reformat the drive. This is a known quirk that appears sometimes. Try again by removing and replugging the EHD. If that doesn't work try unplugging the receiver. If that doesn't work call Dish for a rehit to possibly set things to right.

And pls let us know how things work out.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Will do, thanks for the feedback.
Good to know it is supposed to work and I may not have lost everything.

The Dish technician (I didn't try this until after he left) seemed to think there would be encryption codes tied to the old receivers so they wouldn't play on the new receivers and "good luck getting Dish to give the codes to you." Nice guy, but I didn't get the impression he really knew what he was talking about.

I can confirm that it works. I copied both a 622 and a 722 to external hard drive and back to new hoopers after they were installed

Will do, thanks for the feedback.
Good to know it is supposed to work and I may not have lost everything.

The Dish technician (I didn't try this until after he left) seemed to think there would be encryption codes tied to the old receivers so they wouldn't play on the new receivers and "good luck getting Dish to give the codes to you." Nice guy, but I didn't get the impression he really knew what he was talking about.

You're right. He was confused with how DirecTV does it. With DirecTV the EHD is tied to the particular receiver and cannot be shared with other receivers on account. It also replaces the internal hard drive. And if that receiver dies, you've lost everything on that EHD.

With Dish the EHD is tied to the account. And can be shared amongst all receivers on the account, and is in addition to the internal hard drives.

ehd's are tied to the account number. You can have 2 ehd's at a time attached to the Hopper. I had to problems hooking up my 4 ehd's that I had on my 722 to my 2 HWS's.

Do not let it reformat the drive. This is a known quirk that appears sometimes. Try again by removing and replugging the EHD. If that doesn't work try unplugging the receiver. If that doesn't work call Dish for a rehit to possibly set things to right.

And pls let us know how things work out.

Didn't work.
Haven't called dish yet.
I plugged it into both Hoppers w/ Sling and got the same error.
Tried plugging and unplugging the drive. Always came up with the error.
Did a power button reset on one of the Hoppers, tried again...same problem.

The "hit" is a signal sent from Dish that magically changes the Household Key yet does not disassociate your EHDs and receivers.
The key, 8 hex digits, is used in encrypting the EHD. It takes only 1 minute once they agree to do it--maybe 4 minutes after they start.
It will not let a "foreign" disk be used--the EHD has just lost its memory of what it should be, my best guess. So why doesn't it allow them?
-Ken

Just contact DIRT (PM them) and they can send the "hit" to correct this. Go here and scroll to the bottom to see which DIRT members are online.

So my EHD recordings from my 722 should play on my new hopper. I am getting an upgrade today and dont want to lose my recordings. Tech from Dish Chat said it would not work, who is right?

Another clueless csr. All 4 of the ehd's that I had for my 722 work just fine on my Hoppers. I didn't even have to call for a hit. Worked as soon as I connected them.

Yeah, don't rely on the phone reps. It will work. If it doesn't for some reason, contact the DIRT techs. Don't even bother with calling, that is one of the great thing about this forum.

So my EHD recordings from my 722 should play on my new hopper. I am getting an upgrade today and dont want to lose my recordings. Tech from Dish Chat said it would not work, who is right?

Yep, it works. Worked for me and many others.

And BTW you can hook up at least 4, and maybe more, EHDs thru a powered USB hub. I've done it on both my Hoppers. But it will only recognize two at a time. And since Dish does not have an EHD naming feature, you have to check around a bit to be sure which EHD you are accessing. I hope Dish adds this feature. And allowing direct transfers between EHDs would be nice too.

This first "hit" didn't work.
Recontacted the reps and will try the next thing they suggest.

I tried connected it to both Hoppers (front and rear USB port) with no luck.
Also tried connecting to the Joey which said "feature not supported"

If you can, use a different EHD that has no programs. Let the Hopper reformat it. See if that EHD now works, if it does, now try the EHD's you have.

I realize a VIP receiver is very different, however after I had recorded programs on my very first EHD after reformatting it on one VIP receiver, it wanted to reformat on the second. I then took an unformatted EHD, and formatted it on the second receiver, after that the first EHD worked. Just a thought on something to try.
BTW if you do try it and the new formatted EHD does not work that would indicate something else going on.

My then-12 EHDs worked fine. I've added 2 more 2TB ones--up to 1500 HD recordings of 1/2 or 1 hour shows.
EHDs will work through a 4-port unpowered hub if the drives are powered or you only use say 1 small unpowered at a time.
Supplying power to many EHDs will likely overload the receiver's supply. If you power up 1 at a time, no problem.
I find removing the USB first is likely to cause a reboot. Lately I find removing an unpowered drive from a stand does too.
I think order must be pause show, power off, USB out, drive from stand, on to the next. Need to check further.
-Ken

Bought a Seagate STBV2000100 from Staples for my HWS. Got the message about needing to be formatted. Followed the directions and the Formatting screen came up. Never completed. Sat there for hours. tried both a hub and the front port. Tried it on 2 HWS's. No go. Tried to look at it on my computer. Got the message about a new usb device but that's as far as I got. Tried Pasrtion Magic and ghot a message that 1 of the drives had a different format. But never could get to that drive to reformat to NTFS.
ASny ideas?

Well it certainly sounds like you got a bad drive from Staples. Try a Western Digital next time. I've had very good luck with them. I just checked and found that it is a USB 3 drive. Don't know if it is backward compatible to USB2 which is the Hopper standard.

USB 3 is USB compatible, just not capable of full high speed transfer in USB 2 port.
The real question is can Dish make use of all of the 3TB.
Dish only states compatibility to 2TB.
The best price point continues to move out and is now past 2TB.
Please tell us of any success. I'll hold my $100 for now.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)