"Moving" from Colorado to Boston

sequentialcoma

Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
I asked this in an earlier thread, but now with zero hour approaching, I want to make sure I'm clear on this.

I know it's *possible* to do this, but will it actually work? Are the Boston channels spotbeamed or are they national? When I mentioned it to my wife, she raised the issue of the legality. I know it's probably in a grey area, but what are the exact laws being broken by doing this?

Thanks for the replies. I'm totally digging the knowledge on here! :)

Boston in Colorado won't happen...they are "spot beamed".

Nobody has ever posted about getting in trouble but you should be aware that this is not a practice the satellite providers are happy with. Before "moving", make sure you have the most current equipment (recievers, dish, switches etc..) as updating is difficult with two addresses. Although nobody has ever stated what you could be charged with, if nothing else, it seems illegal.

Aside from sports, why would you go through the hassle ( what do you want from Boston?).

Boston in Colorado won't happen...they are "spot beamed".

Nobody has ever posted about getting in trouble but you should be aware that this is not a practice the satellite providers are happy with. Before "moving", make sure you have the most current equipment (recievers, dish, switches etc..) as updating is difficult with two addresses. Although nobody has ever stated what you could be charged with, if nothing else, it seems illegal.

Aside from sports, why would you go through the hassle ( what do you want from Boston?).

Sports only. Huge Pats, Bruins and Red Sox fan. News doesn't matter. Bummer it wouldn't work. Guess I'll have to stick with the Denver locals.

I moved from the Bay Area to Tucson. I do get MLB EI, but I've given up on football and basketball. I've changed from Niners to Cardinals but can't give up on the Giants yet. I won't ever pay for NFL - ST so it's easier just to go for Cards. Baseball is easier to swallow as there are so many games for the money. NFL ST is 16 days between 10 AM - 4 PM.

Moving is hard. "Moving" was great before spot beams.

61 from Colorado is possible, but a low elevation setting. Make sure you can get sat 61.5 tuned in before calling the move in. You will not get the SD locals, just HD, so forget CW/MYN/others.

The Boston Hd locals are not spot beamed. They are conus on 61.5 sat location, you would just need a second dish aimed at 61.5. The sd locals would be spotbeamed.

Perhaps. But if one tries to "move" to NYC, even though they are "Conus", for NYC locals they put you on a spot beam. :mad:

Could anyone tell me what you use for a service address for a new location if you are "moving"? Do you just take one out of a telephone book or what? I would love to "move" my service address so I could receive Hd and big city locals.
Jerryd

Dish won't let you use just any address, must be a valid one. Pulling one out of a phone book is not a good idea as you pull one already in service. Boston's sd channels are also on spot beam, so that may make it hard on you as well. HD locals and rsn's will probably be the only usable channels you will get, at least in cases with the locals you are trying to get are so far away.

Do a google search for movie theaters in the area you want to live in and use a movie theater address and add a apartment number to it. That is what I did and it works fine.

Moving in Pennsylvania

I called and "moved" my E* service location from an area not covered by the Washington DC HD locals (cumberland County) to the next county (Franklin) which is covered by the DC HD locals and it went fine except I don't see any of those channels on my guide. In other words nothing changed. what am I missing?
thanks for any input

Make sure you have Hd listed as priority under the locals menu of the receiver and not sd or disabled . If you do this the hd locals will be listed in the low numbers between 2-69. They will replace the sd networks on the main 4 networks . Then run a check switch and let it download the new guide. IF that doesn't work Call the TECH department at Dish and let them help you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)