Moving from House to RV to Distant House to Rv to House....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ron Nielson

Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
I have a very simple setup. At my main house, Kansas, Dish DVR722 hooked up to my HDTV. We have another smaller HDTV in the bedroom which is used only occasionally. We go in our RV from place to place, maybe taking a month or so to get to the next house, so would be nice to take the VIP722 with us and hook up to a portable (manually aimed) dish (which I BELIEVE is a 100.4 EA). When we get to our other Arizona house 1200 miles distant, then install the temp setup at the house and use it while we are there for the winter. Sounds like this should be fairly easy, assuming I can correctly set the dish to receive the signals from the sats.

Is this moving from place to place be OK with Dish? Or do I have to have 2 accounts, one for each house? And then pause my service in KS while I'm in Az; and pause my AZ service when I'm in KS? Call them and tell them I've moved (I really have, just temporarily - for 3 or 4 months that I'm in AZ? And call them when I get back to KS?

I'm thinking that one 'problem area' is local channels. I don't care which local channels I get when I'm in AZ as long as I get the network shows. And if I don't get 'local channels' while traveling, not a big deal.

What's the best setup for me? Cost IS a factor, of course!

Moving is not a problem as long as the service is in only one location at a time.

You cannot have enabled receivers at both locations and not be in violation of your user agreement.

When you get to AZ have a 1000.2 WA dish setup and tell Dish of your new address, they will switch your locals on for the AZ location.

Snow birds do this all the time.

I AM a SNOWBIRD, so that's what I'll do! I only have one receiver so no problem with using 2 and paying for one.

What about using the DVR in the RV? Just do it?? Do I need to call them with a new location when I'm at the lake?? As long as I can get CNN and some other shows, I don't have to have the big networks.

Last edited:
Like the AT&T commercial - it's not complicated. :) Jim5506 gave good advice. You would be in the spirit of what Dish allows by having a permanent Dish set-up in Arizona if you wanted. While traveling you may not get the networks (locals) but in Arizona a call to Dish with your address will get you the Arizona locals/networks. Reverse the process when you return to Kansas. Technically you are supposed to take all receivers with you, the idea being you can't have two places receiving service at the same time. I don't think it would be wrong to simply disconnect the receiver you are leaving in Kansas, to me you are meeting the spirit of what Dish allows.
While in the RV I would just use it for the temporary time if you don't mind not having the locals/networks. If it were a prolonged time in the RV to be technically correct Dish does say they want to know where the receiver is. But I again think you are meeting the spirit of not having two locations at the same time.
I have always thought this is a benefit of having satellite TV, if you have a second home, just like VOIP you can take it with you.

Just set it up as an RV account, and leave it as such, even when in a house. Tell them where you are for locals.