Moving, questions on dish install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cypherstream

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
PA
Hello,

I've had Comcast cable for years now, but we are moving to an area where they do not serve. I'm considering Dish Network because it looks like their 922 dvr is really slick with the HD menu's, sling capability, online scheduling, etc... I also looked at DirecTV, but their DVR on screen guide doesn't quite impress me. Perhaps they would of won me over if they rewrote it to take advantage of HDTV's.

Now the house was built in 1978 and I believe the RG-59 coax is all original. Older people lived there and they most likely didn't have any digital cable or satellite.

With part of a Dish Network install, would they run all new coax, or should I do this before hand? There is attic space where I could possibly get to and drop new coax down with a fish tape. I plan to drop Ethernet and phone anyway, but if Dish Network will pay for the coax and ends, then more power to them. However if they charge for that work, I might as well do it myself.

If I'm doing it myself, what do I need? RG-6 QS swept to 3 GHz right? Can I just leave the ends off and have Dish terminate them so I don't have to purchase ends and/or a compression tool? I can borrow a friends compression tool if need be though.

It looks like the receiver only needs one wire in, unlike the old days where you needed two wires. Now I might keep the old RG-59 in place to 'backfeed' another TV with the TV2 output, and I understand you need to turn on the sling software for it to work on the 922 unless they push out a software update. All of that cable is home run anyway.

Does the 922 have wireless built in, or should I have Ethernet ready to go by the install date? Do I need Ethernet for other SD or HD receivers? I only have 2 TV's at the moment, but may get another one in the future.

Is there any type of on demand service? If so, how's the quality? What type of broadband connection is required. I plan on getting the double play 10/1 mbps internet+phone from the local small cable company (Service Electric Cablevision).

How is the HD picture quality coming from Comcast? I have a Samsung 42" Plasma which has 3 HDMI ports on it. It's an older one with a 1024x768 panel, but it still looks great. Does the 922 and other receivers have optical or coaxial Dolby digital 5.1 or dolby digital plus out? With Comcast, I have a Motorola DCX-3400 DVR which has a 320GB hard drive, HDMI out and optical audio out.

My zip code is 19606, so it looks like I'm on an all MPEG-4 "Eastern Arc" setup. 1000.4 dish right? I don't need two smaller dishes like some homes have, but the one large dish correct?

Thanks, I'm just new to the whole DBS game!

Last edited:
Oh one more quick question. For HDTV channels, I notice that they appear as strange numbers, like 9419 for A&E HD. Doesn't it also come in on the same number as standard def, which I guess would be Ch 118 in this case?

With Comcast, it was hard enough getting the wife to put on the correct channel in the 800's. Then they released the "Watch in HD" button, so you could just push OK and it would take you to the correct HD number. This would be even more confusing with 4 digit channel numbers.

I was under the assumption that DirecTV and Dish were more "HD friendly". If we want to watch WPVI 6 ABC HD, just type 6. Hit Ch up to move to the SD feed if you need to. Is this how Dish Network works?

Oh one more quick question. For HDTV channels, I notice that they appear as strange numbers, like 9419 for A&E HD. Doesn't it also come in on the same number as standard def, which I guess would be Ch 118 in this case?

Yes, channels are mapped to 3 digit locations in the guide. Both the SD and HD have the same channel number. The HD channel will be labeled HD in the guide.

With Comcast, it was hard enough getting the wife to put on the correct channel in the 800's. Then they released the "Watch in HD" button, so you could just push OK and it would take you to the correct HD number. This would be even more confusing with 4 digit channel numbers.

You can set the guide to display only HD channels if that is your wont. Pressing the 3 digit channel number will take you to the HD channel (not the SD) if you have HD service.

I was under the assumption that DirecTV and Dish were more "HD friendly". If we want to watch WPVI 6 ABC HD, just type 6. Hit Ch up to move to the SD feed if you need to. Is this how Dish Network works?

This depends to some extent whether you have the SD channels displayed in the guide. HD channels get preference. OTA local channels can be directly selected by entering their full 5 digit sequence. Subchannel 2 of channel 23 (23-02) would be 02302.

Some quick replies.

Hello,

I've had Comcast cable for years now, but we are moving to an area where they do not serve. I'm considering Dish Network because it looks like their 922 dvr is really slick with the HD menu's, sling capability, online scheduling, etc... I also looked at DirecTV, but their DVR on screen guide doesn't quite impress me. Perhaps they would of won me over if they rewrote it to take advantage of HDTV's.

Now the house was built in 1978 and I believe the RG-59 coax is all original. Older people lived there and they most likely didn't have any digital cable or satellite.

With part of a Dish Network install, would they run all new coax, or should I do this before hand? There is attic space where I could possibly get to and drop new coax down with a fish tape. I plan to drop Ethernet and phone anyway, but if Dish Network will pay for the coax and ends, then more power to them. However if they charge for that work, I might as well do it myself.

RG is recommended but RG59 usually will work OK. If you can replace the RG59, I would. Installers usually run cable around the outside of the dwelling and then go through the wall into the room(s). If you want them to run the signal to a central distribution point in the home, they will. If you want RG6 cable internally from the central distro point to the rooms, you will have to replace the RG59 yourself or hire someone else to do it. If you drop the cable, the installer will put on the compression connectors. Just tell them what you have and what you would like and ask nicely. Label all the cables as to where they are going. It is best to have an unbroken cable run from the antenna to the receiver.

If I'm doing it myself, what do I need? RG-6 QS swept to 3 GHz right? Can I just leave the ends off and have Dish terminate them so I don't have to purchase ends and/or a compression tool? I can borrow a friends compression tool if need be though.
Yes good RG6. QS isn't necessary. The installer will put on the connectors. They usually cut off any existing connectors and replace with their own.

It looks like the receiver only needs one wire in, unlike the old days where you needed two wires. Now I might keep the old RG-59 in place to 'backfeed' another TV with the TV2 output, and I understand you need to turn on the sling software for it to work on the 922 unless they push out a software update. All of that cable is home run anyway.
Yes keep the RG59 for backfeeding or running an OTA signal in from an outside antenna. Yes only one cable from the SAT is required because the signal is stacked and used with a separator at the receiver.

Does the 922 have wireless built in, or should I have Ethernet ready to go by the install date? Do I need Ethernet for other SD or HD receivers? I only have 2 TV's at the moment, but may get another one in the future.
You'll need ethernet (or phone connection) with all your HD receivers for certain features. I prefer ethernet over phone especially as I just eliminated my landline. You can also use a wireless bridge or use the built-in Homeplug adapter to connect to the net via a router and your electrical wiring.

Is there any type of on demand service? If so, how's the quality? What type of broadband connection is required. I plan on getting the double play 10/1 mbps internet+phone from the local small cable company (Service Electric Cablevision).
On demand is pretty sparse afaic. Comcast's is much better. Your anticipated internet connection is plenty sufficient. VOD movies including Bluray are downloaded to the harddrive on your receiver and are available immediately after selection -- no downloading wait. VOD rates are expensive though. Other on demand you'll have to wait for downloading. It's pretty slow.

How is the HD picture quality coming from Comcast? I have a Samsung 42" Plasma which has 3 HDMI ports on it. It's an older one with a 1024x768 panel, but it still looks great. Does the 922 and other receivers have optical or coaxial Dolby digital 5.1 or dolby digital plus out? With Comcast, I have a Motorola DCX-3400 DVR which has a 320GB hard drive, HDMI out and optical audio out.
I have both Comcast basic and Dish. I cannot tell much difference between them. The E* DVRs are superior to that Motorola DVR.

My zip code is 19606, so it looks like I'm on an all MPEG-4 "Eastern Arc" setup. 1000.4 dish right? I don't need two smaller dishes like some homes have, but the one large dish correct?

Thanks, I'm just new to the whole DBS game!
Most probably a single 1000.4 antenna barring any line of sight issues or other problems.

Thank you so much for the detailed response. Settlements Aug 3rd and were not completely out of our apartment until Aug 31st. In that time I plan to work on the new house a bit. Just wanted to plan for the wiring. Home Inspection is this Friday, so I'll look really closely as to how I want to run the lines.

I agree, Ethernet would be good. I have an 802.11n router with 4 port gigabit Ethernet switch onboard. I also have another 802.11g router with 4 port 10/100 switch onboard, if I need to use it as a switch for now and disable wireless.

Hey one question on the cable used for Dish Network.

Is this an acceptable cable?

For only $20.56 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 500ft RG6 Cable - Standard Shield (Black) | RG6 Bulk Cables

Also would this keystone connector be good enough quality to put in modular wallplates? I'm going to go 6 position wallplates I think, with 2 coax, 2 Ethernet, a phone and a blank.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10426&cs_id=1042605&p_id=6543&seq=1&format=2

Thanks!

I would just pull it through the walls and let the professional installer put the ends on to connect to the wall plates and at the demarc.

Last edited:
Cable fine Jack not so sure

Hey one question on the cable used for Dish Network.

Is this an acceptable cable?

For only $20.56 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 500ft RG6 Cable - Standard Shield (Black) | RG6 Bulk Cables

Also would this keystone connector be good enough quality to put in modular wallplates? I'm going to go 6 position wallplates I think, with 2 coax, 2 Ethernet, a phone and a blank.

For only $0.32 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Keystone Jack - Modular F Type (Ivory) | F Type Keystone Jacks

Thanks!

I would just pull it through the walls and let the professional installer put the ends on to connect to the wall plates and at the demarc.

The RG 6 will work well. Not so sure about the F barrel for the sat line. I used something like that by Leviton and then replace the barrel connector w/ a 3 Ghz version. It has a blue color foam instead of what looks like the clear looking one here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts