Moving, surgery, RG6QS

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
I'm in a bit of a quandry here and my brain's not functioning full speed so please bear with me...

We are in the process of moving from house #1 which is sold, to house #2. I have E* installed at house #1.

House #2 has (a pair of) RG6 quad shield pulled to where I want the dishes mounted. Cables are not terminated. I have extra length not trimmed off as I wasn't exactly sure how they'd tie into my cables. House #2 is only 2 streets over from house #1 (we like the area) so I know I'll be getting 2 dishes (110/119 and 61.5)

Lately I'm hearing that Dish's "approved" connectors are for RG6 (not quad) and I don't want some schmuck bastardizing my cables to jam the RG6 connectors on.

To complicate matters, I've just found out I'm going to need another ankle surgery...kind of a big one... and will be hospitalized a few days and out of work for 13 weeks minimum. I won't be mobile enough to go out and terminate my own cables after they cut them to length.

Should I terminate them and let them couple into them and then just shorten my cables as needed later (like.... November)? Or should I hand the guy my RG6QS strippers, compression fittings and compression tool and say, "Please use these" ?

Might be easier to just call and get the move done a couple weeks early, do without satellite at house #1 and get it hooked up at house #2 before I go into the hospital....

sheeeesh....

opinions?

I use the standard compressions fittings on quad it is not a problem as long as you are careful and just peel back the extra layer of foil and braid. So assumeing you get someone out there with more than a day on the job you should be fine.

There are some connectors that work for RG6 and RG6Q, but a lot of RG6 connectors only fit non-QS RG6. Either way, I'd expect them to have connectors that fit RG6Q.