Moving to a neighborhood that doesn't allow dishes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Common decency? That's like asking somebody what normal is. No matter how you twist it, it's all somebody's opinion.

Actually, it's always somebody ELSE'S opinion. I've never heard anybody say "I should stop doing something because it is wrong". It's always "HE should stop doing that" Especially true for HOA.

I never understood the attraction to living with an HOA. That is why I live outside of town,I don't like being told what I can do on my own property. Anytime somebody brings up something about my place I go and look at the name on the monthly house payment slip. That is the name of the only person who should be concerned about my place. If you want to keep sat. service I would call dish mover and get it moved and forget about it. If they say something show them the law.

In some areas of the US there is very little choice about living in an HOA, simply because they have been formed to cover almost all available properties. (Not one single HOA but multiple HOAs that encompass the entire residential areas). If your company/organization moves you to a large metropolitan area, you might have no other choice, except to move there or stay where you are and be out of a job.

In 2000 I was "moved" to the DC metropolitan area. There was no available housing except for established communities with HOAs. I was forced to either buy a home within an HOA or commute 100+ milies each direction. (Even the new construction had been included into nearby HOAs.)

I suffered through their BS for four years, couldn't put flowers around my own tree or put flower boxes on my windows since no one else had them. We weren't even allowed to hang laundry on a clothes line! Fortunately, a privacy fence already existed around the back yard and I was able "hide" my seven dishes, including a small BUD. However, I couldn't even park my own RV in the driveway or in front of the house, even to pack it when I retired, sold the house and left the area.

Sometimes you get rewarded for the pain and suffering. I sold the house for TWICE the amount I had paid for it four years earlier, simply because of the demand for housing was greater than the supply!

The HOA exists to protect common property values by enforcing common decency. I can understand their desire to prevent "eyesore" dishes. However, federal law says that they can't (for the most part) prevent dishes.

When I moved into my neighborhood with a fierce HOA, they mentioned that any dishes would need to be approved by "the committee." The committee chairperson told me flat out, "We can't prevent you from installing a dish." However, they did suggest that I put it on my chimney or the eaves of the rear of my house rather than on a pole or in the front yard. My dish is on the eaves of the rear corner of my house. They also send me a nasty gram in the mail when I don't edge or mow my lawn in reasonable time. I comply--no drama. :up

I've pontificated on this before. HOAs are nothing more than commie rackets. They ought to be illegal. They are a threat to private property rights. The government puts enough restrictions on private property, why the HELL would I move in somewhere so I can PAY someone to put MORE restrictions on my private property? I will NEVER move into one of those places. In fact, here in California, HOAs are actually a detriment to resale value. i.e., an identical house in an area not infested with an HOA is worth more. This from a friend of mine who's a realtor.

I would suggest you notify your HOA of your plan to install the dish (assuming you want to) and forward a copy of the FCC information so you don't break any rules of notification, etc. It would be more diplomatic and puts it on them to start the war. If you search this site (and some others) you are likely to find more specific guidance to avoid litigation. Good luck whatever you decide....

The HOA exists to protect common property values by enforcing common decency. I can understand their desire to prevent "eyesore" dishes. However, federal law says that they can't (for the most part) prevent dishes.

When I moved into my neighborhood with a fierce HOA, they mentioned that any dishes would need to be approved by "the committee." The committee chairperson told me flat out, "We can't prevent you from installing a dish." However, they did suggest that I put it on my chimney or the eaves of the rear of my house rather than on a pole or in the front yard. My dish is on the eaves of the rear corner of my house. They also send me a nasty gram in the mail when I don't edge or mow my lawn in reasonable time. I comply--no drama. :up

Yes when my HOA had to put on a new roof they wanted me to reinstall my dish
in the back of my house I said that I didn't care as long as I had LOS.
So that's what I did now you can see the dish from the street whereas before you could see it only if you were looking for it.
The only reason I moved into the HOA was so I would not have cut the grass.

HOA's aren't for everyone. Here in Central TX, they *HELP* resale values. For every neighbor that keeps his/her lawn expertly manicured, there's always one that let's weeds grow and keeps a junk "project" car in the driveway. One always gives up some freedoms when living near other people.

Elchucko, every apartment (not just my home) I've ever lived in doesn't allow people to hang laundry outside. That's just not something done in suburban environments. (Believe me) I understand it's better for the environment. However, way too many folks associate that with urban blight or rural pre-electricity areas. Even the big tree hugger that I am knows outside laundry lines are eyesores.

To the OP, you should be fine. Your HOA probably just doesn't want any huge dishes on a rotor in the front yard.

I am more interested in living in my house than helping someone else sell theirs (maintaining their property values). I keep a nice place, but it's because I want to, not because I am told exactly how to do it by someone else. So no HOA's for me. You can spot the HOA neighborhoods from far away. All houses look identical, no variation, everything "perfectly" manicured. Like a residential twist on the Stepford Wives. These neighborhoods look very sterile and uninviting to me. I will actively avoid all of them if I ever decide to move. Any city that has only HOA neighborhoods is not a place I'd ever consider moving to anyway.

I was installing a dish on the edge of a roof, on the side near the front when some snooty lady walks up from down the street and starts to tell me how I can't install there and how the home owner will get a $100/month fine if I install it there. I told her of the OTARD and that the trees in back blocked the view from there, she thought I was just making it up. I finally got her to leave and had my office fax her a copy. I was talking to the customer a few days later and she said the lady had come back, sheepishly, and said sorry, he (me) was right.

That being said, some rules in a neighborhood are not necessarily bad. I have lived in neighborhoods where a few houses are just trashed, broken down cars and lots of other "crap" all over the yard and there was nothing we could do about it. I would be willing to put up with needing to mow my lawn to know I wouldn't have to deal with that kind of eyesore.

Brad

And the day of "flipping" houses to get rich are g-o-n, gone. (Which makes me smile every time I think of it.)

A house is a home. And a home is a place to live as comfortably as one can. A way to get rich, they ain't.

If raising goats is legal and you like goats I say go for it! if 1 meter dishes are legal and you really like to get every channel there is then I say put a line of them on your roof in the best spot for a clear signal and ease of access.

If you don't like the length of your neighbors grass offer to cut it for him. Or just face the other way when you're outside. Or don't look out the window with the offending view.

America... What a country!

Maybe with enough dishes and long grass, property values will drop far enough so that a lot more hardworking people will be able to buy one.

Its one thing to keep farm animals in the country on a farm but another to do it on a residential lot in a neighborhood specialy in the city.

Its one thing to keep farm animals in the country on a farm but another to do it on a residential lot in a neighborhood specialy in the city.
Sorry for going over the top. I was making a point but didn't mean to promote animal husbandry in the city;)

The idea of a home is such that it includes that final achievement of true freedom. To be able to do as one wishes on their own piece of land. No one to tell you that you can't do something because you paid for the privilege of being the decision-maker when you bought the place. Spending $200,000+ on a place should include the ability to do as one wishes on their own land. Nowadays, people treat their home as if its just the means of making money for the next 3-5 years. It's their ATM machine and they hope it will keep filling with magic money so they can sell it and get a nicer ATM. So, they pay $1,200 to $3,000 or more every year to force everyone else to polish their ATM machines so that they can sell theirs for more someday.

I don't think HOAs will be as popular after this real estate crisis is done. First off, all those cookie-cutter homes are all sitting vacant in foreclosure. Then the HOA isn't collecting money on them. Then they force a dues increase on the remaining homeowners. Eventually, people will get tired of paying HOAs when all the vacant homes aren't being tended anyway. With the economy the way it is, there won't be as much demand for HOA communities as non-HOA communities. People can find better things to do with their $1,200 a year.

I don't know about that when I did live in town it was a small town many people did keep farm type animals and nobody cared it was their right to do as they pleased on their own property.

Yeah, what did happen to all those pot bellied pigs after they became post-trendy?

It's all about conforming.

I live in an HOA controlled community by choice. Everyone has a choice don't live in one if you don't want to-- I can see the appeal for many to not live in HOAs.
But if you make the choice to do so don't act all indignant later. Do your ressearch some HOAs are good some not.

I've seen the results of so non-controlled HOA properties which I do not prefer.
We work at maintaining a very cost effective HOA. And our home values have benefited.

However a positive approach will work for many or most- don't use your first contact to say "take it and stick I'm doing what I want. You could try to approach them as I did.

Show them the places where you can get reception and how you understand their concerns and want to work with them and be in compliance with the FCC (so they know you know what they can and can not do in a non-threat manner. ,
And then you ask----
So which of THOSE locations that get reception would they prefer.

worked for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)