Moving to a neighborhood that doesn't allow dishes

Its one thing to keep farm animals in the country on a farm but another to do it on a residential lot in a neighborhood specialy in the city.

Around here, Cincinnati, not in the city but in several different areas people moved in to a new subdivisions which are next to a working farms and then the have the nerve to complain about the smell or the noise of cows mowing.
The farmer said when the people complained about the cows that he could put in 50
pigs if they really wanted him to get rid of the cows.
I used to live in NJ and there was a town that had some kind of pig industry boy did that smell really BAD. This was in the late 40s early 50s we moved to Ohio in 51.

Around here, Cincinnati, not in the city but in several different areas people moved in to a new subdivisions which are next to a working farms and then the have the nerve to complain about the smell or the noise of cows mowing.
The farmer said when the people complained about the cows that he could put in 50
I used to live in NJ and there was a town that had some kind of pig industry boy did that smell really BAD. This was in the late 40s early 50s we moved to Ohio in 51.

I don't mind the sound of cows mowing, its when they do the weed-whacking that really grates my cheese.

HOA's also can not make you pay more for installation in order to move the dish to the back of the house, which would require a new grounding and tieing the ground to the electric service. I got out of that by quoting NEC guidelines for proper grounding of the dish. Mine is mounted in the front left corner right above the electric service. They haven't said anything since!

Something similar happened 20 or so years ago in Lawrenceberg IN, but with the Deerborn County Fair Grounds (& Motor Speedway). One summer we could see every week more and more houses being built on the ridge overlooking the Ohio River. Of course they were also overlooking the 3/8 mile dirt track where every week, three times a week there were motor sports events (Tune-up days and races). Of course none of these houses were occupied by the time the season ended the week after labor day. But come the first Monday after the first race night at the speedway, the city fathers were flooded with complaints about the noise! DUUUUUUHHHHHH!!!!

Much to the Lawrenceburg Council's credit, they told the new home-owners to shove it (as politely as they could). The track had been there for 80 years. They knew the track was there when they bought the houses. The following year there was a compromise which set a hard ceiling on events. No event could start after 11pm. The track organizers, thinking they were being funny, then scheduled a 300 lap race to start at 10:55pm. The council was NOT amused. :)

BTW a similar chain of events closed down Queen City(Tri-County) speedway in West Chester, Ohio only a few year before.

See ya
Tony

Something similar happened 20 or so years ago in Lawrenceberg IN, but with the Deerborn County Fair Grounds (& Motor Speedway). One summer we could see every week more and more houses being built on the ridge overlooking the Ohio River. Of course they were also overlooking the 3/8 mile dirt track where every week, three times a week there were motor sports events (Tune-up days and races). Of course none of these houses were occupied by the time the season ended the week after labor day. But come the first Monday after the first race night at the speedway, the city fathers were flooded with complaints about the noise! DUUUUUUHHHHHH!!!!
See ya
Tony

Happens again and again. Even during the season, they sell the houses during the day, and the track only runs at night. Suddenly, with no warning, the track is either closed, or you are placed under new heavy restrictions, such as a 2 hour window from 6-8, muffler requirements that are so tight that stock mufflers won't meet them, forced paving of a dirt track (effectively closing it), etc, etc.

Actually, I understand the homeowners position. They paid good money for the house and the track was a surprise. Of course, it wouldn't have been if they had only done a little research. The track owner is also in a reasonable position. He bought agricultural land, far from the city, years ago, and gets to sell prime subdivision land. The real losers are the racers who have invested large sums of money in a car and suddenly have no place to race it.

Actually, I understand the homeowners position. They paid good money for the house and the track was a surprise. Of course, it wouldn't have been if they had only done a little research.

It is a requirement of nearly every state's real estate laws that the seller disclose anything that could be detracting to the property. Excessive noise from a nearby race track would be one of those. This is to protect the homebuyer from things like slab leaks that weren't apparent at the viewing of the home, faulty electrical, etc. So if the buyer wasn't aware they were near a race track, then the seller didn't make all the disclosures and the buyer could sue for damages, up to and including rescission of the sales contract.

The HOA exists to protect common property values by enforcing common decency.

Ironically, neighborhoods with HOAs tend to be the 'hoods with the blandest, ugliest architecture out there.

I'd say a dish would add aesthetic value to most of these places. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts