Moving to new room

ChuckS

Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
This is a very elementary question, I'm sure. When we moved to a new home a couple years ago, it was wired in all bedrooms for cable/satellite(?) TV. We have been using one DISH receiver in one bedroom and now would like to move it to another. When we "plug" it into the wall (the receiver into its connection and the TV into the AC), it doesn't work in the new location. Any ideas on where we should start to make it work?

Welcome ChuckS,

How many other receivers do you have?

There may be a switch located somewhere (a box that the cables from the satellite dish go into).

We have 2 others, one in the motorhome, and one in the living room of the house......so I guess the other question would be, how could we bring the one from the motorhome inside the house?

Thank you for your help.

Each reciever has to have a direct line from the dish straight to the rcvr. You'll need to find out how the line that originally went to the old room can make it's way to the new room.

Follow the line you know that works right now and see where it goes. You might find a it passing by an area with a bunch or unconnected wires going to other rooms or they may be connected to a multiswitch. Once you know that then report back and somebody should be able to help you from there.

The rooms in my house with unused connections are still plugged into the cable switch outside the house where the cable comes into the house. When DISH was installed, the connections to be used were unplugged from the cable switch and connected to the new switch. The other connections were left in the cable switch.

Like the man said above, you'll need another dedicated run of cable from the new room to the dish. If it was cable before, it's probably RG-59 and may have splitters installed. Best bet is to have someone come out and replace that with RG-6. Do you have Dishpro stuff, a legacy 500 or 300 system?

Unless you know what your doing (and this stuff isn't real hard), it might just be easier and cheaper to have an installer come out and make the connection for you. Swapping that unit back and forth to the motorhome is a piece of cake -- just unplug and replug in the RV (then check switch) and align the dish. We do it all the time.

AV8er said:
Like the man said above, you'll need another dedicated run of cable from the new room to the dish.

Not necessarily. The cable in my house was the proper cable and was simply switched over.

Describe your house in more detail. Is it a bungalow, 2 story ect. Do you have a basement and are any of the RG6 sat. wires going thru there? Can you see the different wires or are they enclosed in a sealed wall ect. Are any of them unconnected? Need to know the model # of that switch too.

Best guide magazine for Dish?

PVR & commercial deletion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)